Chain-Sprocket Combo?

Bearusa

Registered
I do hate to ask a redundant question, but I don't know the proper measurements and I'm hoping one of you guys will. I have a '12 Busa with a 46T rear sprocket and a chain that's stretched and long overdue to be replaced. What I'd like to do is change out the whole set and go with 17/46 or 17/47 gearing. The question is about how many links will be right for the chain? Will the stock 114 links fit by going down 1 tooth in the front and up 3-4 teeth in the rear?

I believe it will. But you can easily check it to make sure before you mushroom the rivet.

17/47 is pretty aggressive gearing. If you haven't run this I think it will make the bike a bit of a PIA for general street and touring riding. I run a 17/45 which is -1/+2 over stock and it really keeps you in the thrust over stock but fuel usage and noise/vibration goes up. Anyway a 112 link 530 will fit on my setup so it will probably work for a 17/47. However I always buy a 120 just to be safe. If you cut the chain so that it is towards the front of the adjustment range you can get 1/2" out of the wheelbase, good for twisties.

17/46 will fit the stock length 112 link chain, and of course let you go back to 18/46 if the 17 is too much for your preference.
17/47 will be tight on a stock length chain, especially if you're heavy. I would add a couple links if you want the 47.
The 47 will be more hassle and really overkill. Keep it simple and stay 17 or 18 front and 46 rear with a stock length chain.

Yeah, I think I'll take the advice you fellas have given. If I make a gearing change at all, it will just be a 17t front and leave the rear at 46t. I'm hoping to go with the stock length chain. If I do remove the front sprocket, can I put a new chain on without opening the master link? Is that even possible?

remember to get a speedo healer im +2 in the rear and still get good fuel mileage on a good straight trip I can get 43mpg but most of the time im in the lower 30's

Yeah, I think I'll take the advice you fellas have given. If I make a gearing change at all, it will just be a 17t front and leave the rear at 46t. I'm hoping to go with the stock length chain. If I do remove the front sprocket, can I put a new chain on without opening the master link? Is that even possible?

No - you can't remove a chain without removing the master (or cutting any link really) and chains come
with the master link unattached so you need to put it on - and yes you need a tool to do that.

18/43 is stock so going to 17/46 will be a BIG change especially if you are stock length swing-arm!

I can't see that being fun unless you are a BIG guy..

18/43 is stock so going to 17/46 will be a BIG change especially if you are stock length swing-arm!

I can't see that being fun unless you are a BIG guy..

I'm 193lbs in full leathers, and 18/46 and 17/46 is ALOT of fun on a gen2.

With the 17/46 gearing are you planning to drag race ? I am desperate to improve my time on the drag strip and am about 220 lbs. Would appreciate someone knowledgable advice on how to go about it?

With the 17/46 gearing are you planning to drag race ? I am desperate to improve my time on the drag strip and am about 220 lbs. Would appreciate someone knowledgable advice on how to go about it?

Welcome, I note this is your first post.

Take a little time to introduce yourself in the new member section and I'm certain there will be several people along to help you out. There are many accomplished drag racers residing here.

BTW, this thread is 5 yrs old and may not get a response.

Back