Chain/Sprocket Maintenance....

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Boys and girls....a little of your expertise please?

I oiled my chain up before storing it for a month in Chicago. I took it out recently for a ride and some oil splatted over my swingarm, rim and exhaust (especially left side). In addition, my sprocket area is a bit greasy and dirty. Some of this stuff comes off easy...some doesn't. To clean this stuff I have heard some of the board members use kerosene to clean their chain and sprocket. Is this preferable to Gunk style degreasers? Or, should I use Kerosene for everything? Or kerosene for the chain and Gunk for the grease deposits on the sprocket and rims? What kind of brush do you use for cleaning a chain---wire or nylon fiber? somethin else?

What sayeth you all- mighty hayabusa gods?

i use wd40 and an old toothbrush to clean my chain. they do sell a chain brush BTW. instead of using chain lube, i use a chain wax call maxima. the keroseene, if u use it, remember to wash out your rear tire with dishliquid and water as it leaves an oily film on the tire.

Manufacturer recomends Kero for cleaning chain.

Bennie's right bout gettin all lubricants off yer rear meat. Nice 2 second burnout should do it.
cool.gif

I have herd that WD-40 should not be sprayed on a chain, specially it it is hot/warm. It is too thin & will get past "O", "X", "W" rings and wash out the grease. (Specially if it is hot & the cool WD contracts hot grease, reducing volume & sucking WD in).

Someone posted a good idea to spray the WD on a cloth and use that to clean chain. Liked that one. .:cool:

Any paint safe cleanser will clean wheels.

yeah i ve heard that also about wd40 but there was a website that did a research on both wd40 and kerosene and both was proven to be safe for cleaning o ring chains. im sorry i cant remember the website where i learned this from. think is time to lay down the herbage.

main ingredient is keep the chain clean.  Clean after every ride with Wd-40 or kero and then oil.  A chain is better of clean and nothing over dirty and oil all over.  the grit will just chew a chain apart.  use a rag or brush.  if you get in the habit of doing this each time it will not be bad to clean.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080594233 -->

Back