Rusty chain

04 Limited Busa

Registered
Took my 18 Busa in for 600 mile service recently and the service manager commented that I must have took the bike to the beach. I told him no why. He said the chain was real rusty and showed me a couple of bolts that held the chain guard on that were rusty. I was shocked and told him the bike had never sat out overnight or been in the rain. The rest of the bike looks normal. Wonder what is going on? They lubed the chain at the service, but I just looked at it and it is pretty jacked up now. Getting ready to go buy some chain wax this week. Never had this issue in over 20 bikes.

Rusty chain and bolts
D98AB465-5885-4035-BF52-2A0B166A6B4E.jpeg

Damn, I’ve never seen that and mine is 12 years old and has been ridden thousands of miles up and down the west coast hiways.

Damn, I’ve never seen that and mine is 12 years old and has been ridden thousands of miles up and down the west coast hiways.
Agreed! 13 years and I live in the Seattle area (1/4 mile from salt water) and ride in the rain often, and none of my stuff looks like that. I would have the dealer over a barrel on this one.

No I haven’t, but now I might, good idea. I wonder if they dropped this bike in the ocean on the way over.

No ‘might’ to it if it were mine. I’d take a look at all metal fasteners above and under all the covers, everywhere that a steel bolt is used. I’ve ridden on tour for hours and hours in the rain and after getting home and cleaning it up, I’ve never seen anything like your pics showed. Good luck!

I have gone over the entire bike with a flash light looking everywhere. Nothing comes close to this. There are a couple of bolt heads on the right rear caliper mount that are starting to loose their shine, but nothing else. Front end is clean, triple tree lower bolts, front caliper, radiator hose clamps, all clean. The only thing I can figure, if this is not a factory issue, it is possibly some winter time riding with the new liquid chemicals sprayed on the road before snow might have gotten on the chain and thrown on those bolts, not sure though. Replacing the bolts is easy, but wondering if I should get some rust remover for the chain, but, I am concerned what that might do to the orings. In the mean time, I am going to get some chain wax.

Nasty. Another reason for my corrosion could be my salt water softener. I always dry my vehicles after washing, but I can see how those bolts and the chain could stay wet. None of my other vehicles are rusting like the Busa though.
maybe the motorcycle motor itself wasn't dunked underwater... but c'mon... that chain was drenched in sea water and so were those bolts... maybe there was a crazy ass storm while the bike was making its way over here and the chain and various pieces were in a box on the bottom of the crate? I dunno exactly how the crates are packed.... but I would wanna be sure the inside of the motor didn't see any sea water....

I agree. The oil was changed at 600 miles, hard to say what is going on without tearing it down. It runs good for now. I am going to visit the service dept this week to discuss and file a warranty claim, especially since they pointed it out to me.

Back