Genii

A Bad bearing, or a tight spot in the chain riding up on the sprocket and then letting go? Roll and stop your tire and push up on your chain from the bottom at intervals of 3-4 inches. You might have a tight spot. Just found this on a guys 05 that i met in town.

Makes the sound rolling forward correct? Cuz my back brake will click when rolled backwards.

That sounds more like it ill have to ck that

Take the chain off and roll it and see if it makes the same noise. If it does then that answers thsat question. Next remove the read caliper, do same test. If it still pops then take the wheel off and roll the wheel and see if that pops.

That's what us shade tree mechanics would do.

Take the chain off and roll it and see if it makes the same noise. If it does then that answers thsat question. Next remove the read caliper, do same test. If it still pops then take the wheel off and roll the wheel and see if that pops.

That's what us shade tree mechanics would do.

That would be my plan...narrow it down. Should be easy to find. I think it is a bad link in the chain or a bearing.

Over 26k on mine with very little signs of wear but no noises unless I do a real long ride and don't oil it..

Mine- running on a stand (very carefully) in First Gear pops each rotation or two, but doesn't pop when riding.

Put the bike on a sand an take the chain off the rear sprocket, roll the wheel. If you hear the popping it's not the chain or sprocket and the dealer will have a hard time saying it is. Then remove the rear caliper, check for popping.

Put the bike on a sand an take the chain off the rear sprocket, roll the wheel. If you hear the popping it's not the chain or sprocket and the dealer will have a hard time saying it is. Then remove the rear caliper, check for popping.

oops! didn't know my other post went through. System locked up.

And ride it till ya break it just doesn't work when it could be a wheel bearing. Having one lock up and toss your butt on I-75 just isn't my idea of troubleshooting!

my 06 gsxr 1000 was doing that popping noise after i put my rear wheel back on a few months ago, turns out it was a tight spot in the chain. at the time it only had about 8500 miles on it.

As already noted, I would first look for a bad link in the chain (tight spot). Then check the wheel/chain alignement. After that I would pop the chain off, spin the wheel and see if it's a bearing issue.

I also had this once on my '02 750. I had just changed the chain and sprocket, and then I started noticing a popping noise whenever I would try and "bang" it, or pop it up. It turned out that I hadn't adjusted the chain length properly. I am a heavy guy (345) and the chain was slipping on the rear sprockets. :banghead:
Sprocket went from brand new to junk (almost) in a couple of weeks. once I tightened the chain correctly, I could roll on as hard as I wanted to with no slippage. Can't say for sure that this is what is ailing your ride, but just want to give you another possible solution.

I mite of found the problem with my bike a tight spot in the chain cuz when itz in gear with the clutch pulled in itz hard to push the bike around like itz dragin least i know now loosein the chain and im gd

Back