Chain replacement

How do you all use kerosine to clean your chains? Do you just fill a pan full of kerosine and soak the chain? Please advise.

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
Per manual, use kerosene, so I do. Save those old socks with holes in them rather than letting the wife throw them out! Soak the sock in kerosene and spin the tire with one hand as you rub and clean the chain. Then use another clean dry sock or rag, whatever, to dry the chain. Coat with chain wax and you're done. The key to a long lived chain is to do this often! I perform this task every 300 miles or so!
Sounds good.. I appreciate the advice.
does that damage or dry out the rubber o rings..
Kerosine helps keep things lubed as well as clean. Deisel will do the same thing, but the summer deisel is better than the winterized stuff. Both contain some petrolium waxes in them. Carb cleaner will get the dirt off faster, but is not good for an o-ring chain.

How do you all use kerosine to clean your chains? Do you just fill a pan full of kerosine and soak the chain? Please advise.

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
I soak the chian ( while it's still on the bike ) and then use a grung brush, but I use diesel not kerosine.
Great.. Thanks. I've seen others spray carb cleaner on the chain.. The dirt and grime just falls right off.. They scrub it down, then lube it up. Has anybody else tried that? Would you recommend this practice?
Carb cleaner<span style='color:darkblue'>...<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>NO</span></span>

It will eat the o or x rings instantly.

RSD.

here is an interesting read about chains I saw on another post
http://www.quality-cycle.com/truth_about_motorcycle_chains.htm
good read .thank you
cool.gif

just adjusted mine to the end , 20,000 miles getting a new D.I.D. put on .

Back