Chain replacement

busa-rich

Donating Member
Registered
at what mileage did you guys change your chain,or is there a standard. and would you go stock or after market.thanks

The milage you get will vary depending on how well you maintained it, how you ride, ect. Once you near the end of available adjustment is one way to tell it's time for a new chain, so are kinked links or tight spots. Rust coming out between the pins & rollers (the red death) is another sign.

I have 12,000 miles on the stock chain and it is holding its own so far. But I will replace it with an after market chain when it is time, probably a DID ZZZ or something like it.
biggrin.gif

The milage you get will vary depending on how well you maintained it, how you ride, ect. Once you near the end of available adjustment is one way to tell it's time for a new chain, so are kinked links or tight spots. Rust coming out between the pins & rollers (the red death) is another sign.

I have 12,000 miles on the stock chain and it is holding its own so far. But I will replace it with an after market chain when it is time, probably a DID ZZZ or something like it.  
biggrin.gif
i maintain my chain and i got 5,000 miles on it,so it looks like iam set for another 5,000 miles
cool.gif

every 12,ooo for the chain for me and every 24,oooo for the drives. Your mileage my vary.

You should get at least 10K if maintained. When you do change change the chain and sprokets at the same time.

I have 18,500 miles on the stock chain. Lube every 500 miles. Clean with kerosine every 1,000 miles.

I just replaced my stock chain....about 14,500 miles on the stock chain.

How do you all use kerosine to clean your chains? Do you just fill a pan full of kerosine and soak the chain? Please advise.

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas

How do you all use kerosine to clean your chains? Do you just fill a pan full of kerosine and soak the chain? Please advise.

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
I soak the chian ( while it's still on the bike ) and then use a grung brush, but I use diesel not kerosine.
Great.. Thanks. I've seen others spray carb cleaner on the chain.. The dirt and grime just falls right off.. They scrub it down, then lube it up. Has anybody else tried that? Would you recommend this practice?

<!--EDIT|rtvegas
Reason for Edit: "left something out..."|1151589894 -->

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
Per manual, use kerosene, so I do. Save those old socks with holes in them rather than letting the wife throw them out! Soak the sock in kerosene and spin the tire with one hand as you rub and clean the chain. Then use another clean dry sock or rag, whatever, to dry the chain. Coat with chain wax and you're done. The key to a long lived chain is to do this often! I perform this task every 300 miles or so!

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
Per manual, use kerosene, so I do. Save those old socks with holes in them rather than letting the wife throw them out! Soak the sock in kerosene and spin the tire with one hand as you rub and clean the chain. Then use another clean dry sock or rag, whatever, to dry the chain. Coat with chain wax and you're done. The key to a long lived chain is to do this often! I perform this task every 300 miles or so!
Sounds good.. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
does that damage or dry out the rubber o rings..

i got 8200 miles so far out of the stock chain and it is starting to kink up. lots of wheelies/riding in the rain/180 mph highwya runs and stuff... and i only way it once in a while and do a #### job cleaning it half the time. oh well. i got a new chain/sprockets coming ... hopefully ill take better care of these lol.

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
+1

Thanks..

Ray

aka rtvegas
300mi is maddening unless you ride to and from starbucks a few times on weekends.

I clean mine every 600 to 1000miles with rags soaked in kerosine. After kerosine dries I spray mine with PJ black label heavy duty chain lube.

Stock chain stretched once after initial break and never more.

Bike has has 17k miles. I plan on replacing it with same Rk chains.

every 12,ooo for the chain for me and every 24,oooo for the drives. Your mileage my vary.
"drives"...meaning sprockets? Holy smoke man....I have 5800 miles on the stock chain & sprockets and my rear sprocket is already showing wear.. the teeth are all very slightly tweaking forward...
I clean and lube mine on a regular basis..but I figure on chucking the set @ my next rear tire change..'bout 2500 miles.

Back