Quick chain question????

NCBusa2001

Registered
Just curious as to where everybody stands, as far as chain life.

If you are still using your stock chain, how many miles do you have on the odometer?

OR

How many miles did you rack up before you replaced it?

OR

How many miles did your chain have before it broke and casued a nightmare?

Thank you for your time and information. Chris

I'm right around 7,000 on my original
wink.gif

I'm at 3400 miles on the original. Keep it lubed & properly tightened (DO NOT SET TOO TIGHT) & it will last a while.
cool.gif

I replaced mine as part of the 7500 mile service, done at 7100. Stock chain looked ok, no real major wear, would not have done it except I changed sprockets too. OEM sprockets looked good, no major wear on them either.

I am around 4500 miles and my chain has stretched almost to the limits of the adjuster. I ride hard but clean/lube/adjust every other ride, which is far more than is called for. I decided that I would mitigate the chance of breakage/damage, as too many others here have had, and replace mine with an EK 530ZVX which is a good deal stronger than the factory. Original sprockets look good so I am not replacing them this time. Good luck on your decision but if you ride the Busa to even 50% of it's true potential, the factory chain sucks.
wink.gif

I had around 7k on original. Went for a ride, and during post ride check noticed it stretched noticeably (before the ride, slack was around 25 - 30 mm, and after - 40 mm or more). After reading all the posts, got DID ZVM 530 X-ring from kneedraggers.com, and just installed it a few days ago. Keep old sprockets - they look good.

About 6000 and its doin' fine....make sure to clean and lube it often and don't adjust it to tight.

15,000 miles on mine, no sign of stretching. I clean it once a month and lube it twice a month. I don't wheelie, but I do accelerate very hard and corner very aggressive.

had about 20.5k on mine before I changed it. Was still good but I didn't want to push it any further. Clean and lube Every Sat morning and after any long rides or if gunk accumulates. A spinning mass of metal deserves respect.

Thanks for the info. I have about 10,000 on the stock one and was contemplating changing it out before the bash in April. Will probably order the EK or DID reccomended. I have heard some pretty good things about them. My sprokets look (feel) fine, so I'll probably just order the chain. Again thanks.

Chris

I have 23k on my stock '06 setup. Wondering if I should replace it now?
laugh.gif

Just over 16,000 on the original, keep it clean and adjusted, it's been adjusted a very little with a lot left. Still looks great.

I had a little over 16,000 on my '06 and it still looked good. Was planning on going one more season before I changed the sprokets & chain. Like others said, keep it clear & lubed and it will treat you right.

Back