Quick chain question????

I replaced mine around 14k miles, kept it lubed and have plenty of slack from track suspension setup.

Changed mine at 20,000. Chain looked and measured ok, front sprocket was considerably worn.

Switched to RK X ring and 16/42

Controlling the wheelie button is hard part now  
ThumbsUp.gif

I changed the stock chain on my 05 at 12000 miles. It was done.

Mine has right at 28000 on it. It is streached to the limit and is not in good shape. I have kept it clean and lubed but its worn out. I have a EK ZZZ in the garage with a new front and rear sprocket I am going to put on. I dont plan to ride any until I have them replaced. I guess I got my moneys worth out of it.

I'm surprised how many folks are leaving on one or both of the old sprockets and changing out the chain. I've always heard that you dramatically reduce the life of the new part if you try to blend it with the old...either new chain on old sprocket(s) or old chain with new sprocket(s). Change all three or you're wasting $. Raydog

Should I just get a "stronger" chain ? I hear the nightmares of what can happen when a chain breaks ? Like I said above, I have 8400 miles on it now.

I put a EK ZZZ on mine around 2100 miles. The rollers looked very loose.
But I have to have everything perfect. Wife thinks I'm Anal..
cool.gif

20,000 out of mine and it was out of adjustment room at that point. sence then I put 6,000 on the EK ZZZ and havent had to make any adjustments at all.

I changed my chain at 27,000 miles. My front and rear sprocket were perfect, but I don't wheelie or do burnouts, and I clean my chain and sprockets every few hundred miles without fail, and lubricate and check the chain adjustment every few hundred miles too. I can understand the theory of changing sprockets and chain at the same time, but upon inspection, if the parts do not show wear, why spend the $$$. I have almost 7K miles on my new chain and it is performing great.

Hey thanks for diggin this one up! 18000 and still got lots to go. If you ride like you stole it! ALL the TIME get a ZZZ or I'll wager this! The horror stories come from poor chain care, misaligned wheels or other loose or missing hardware etc. BUT the most come apart from link not being installed properly. Don't think cause you pay a shop to do it its done rite!

Back