chain lubrication for a long journey

I‘m not a fan of pin lock ‘technology’ especially when Scorpion still makes no fog shields for their EXOR420, my newest helmet. Helluva bargain too, Snell and DOT certified as well. Good company here too.

View attachment 1672757
Well, I was previously using Zeiss' liquid. Then I ordered the helmet, whose pinlock appeared working but now at 5 C it began with some fog in the lower part...

Don’t listen to him….
LOL, I know it goes against everything conventional wisdom teaches us.

Lube a dirt bike chain, and play in the dirt, see how that works for you.

Or remove your air filter, so you get some road dust mixed with lubricant in the motor, see how fast she wears out.

For a non o- ring chain, not applicable on the Busa, the only way to clean and properly remove all the grit, is remove the chain and clean it in an ultrasonic bath.

My bike is due due for its 15 k service. I’ll shoot a video of my chain, with the adjusters never moved from factory setting when I get to it. It’s due for a new back tire, 5th time, I get 3k in a tire.

Some folks us DuPont silicone spray. That tends to clean the chain, but it also flings off all the lubricant eventually.

He's gone soft in his old age.....
lmao
I am a member of C.A.R. (Candy Assed Rider) when it gets crappy out, I leave the bike in the garage...

My brother who will ride in almost any weather on his Beemer said it right one time....he said he's always extremely cautious because it doesn't matter how warm you are as a rider (he has heated bars and seat), the pavement is cold and your tires are cold, the chances of going down multiply greatly in these conditions...someone pulls in front of you and you get hard on the brakes, ABS can only do so much....

Yet he still goes out but he is slowing down more as he reaches 70.....

I am a member of C.A.R. (Candy Assed Rider) when it gets crappy out, I leave the bike in the garage...

My brother who will ride in almost any weather on his Beemer said it right one time....he said he's always extremely cautious because it doesn't matter how warm you are as a rider (he has heated bars and seat), the pavement is cold and your tires are cold, the chances of going down multiply greatly in these conditions...someone pulls in front of you and you get hard on the brakes, ABS can only do so much....

Yep, winter and cold tires used to bother me, as I hooned everywhere I went, but anymore, I just cruise, and only get on it when the mood strikes, so winters are easier to get through.
But, after all the cold weather caution, I'm ready to run by spring.
It was mid 40's and dropping on saturday night.
I looked at the '18 Gsxr1k, thought about the 5 minutes it would take to put my winter gear on...then walked over to my '03 Gsxr1k and did some wrenching instead, lol.
I still ride in the cold, but I really have to be in the mood for it.

Yep, winter and cold tires used to bother me, as I hooned everywhere I went, but anymore, I just cruise, and only get on it when the mood strikes, so winters are easier to get through.
But, after all the cold weather caution, I'm ready to run by spring.
It was mid 40's and dropping on saturday night.
I looked at the '18 Gsxr1k, thought about the 5 minutes it would take to put my winter gear on...then walked over to my '03 Gsxr1k and did some wrenching instead, lol.
I still ride in the cold, but I really have to be in the mood for it.
I started with a versys in september 2022 and, inevitably I rode all along autumn and winter. Only defeated by the salted roads (they start seasoning over here well before the snow comes) that I had neither the place not the mood to rinse the bike from the salt afterwards.
Otherwise I did well, winter bike clothes and boots, insulated underware, and driving daily distances up to 120 km, in a way to became a cold-weather rider. Besides, I did that Japanese training (motogymkhana) in the cold and got no issues.
I received my gen3 in mid july 2023 and the heat did not let me ride before sunset (no t-shirt and shorts of course, I am an old fart).
In regards to safety, I keep huge distances, my purpose is to foresee everything and allow no surprises, that is perhaps why both bike and car mechanics wonder why my brake pads do not seem being used at all (took 60,000 km to replace them).
About heated grips... I don't know... the kawasaki's were not that effective, so I rather invested in thick insulated gloves. Only drawback is some loss of dexterity in the fingers, that is why I keep practicing with the thick gloves (Held Gloves Tonale Black) despite temps of 8 C (46 F).
But putting the gear, is really tough. And if nature calls, ... then I am really pissed-off!
Ah, forgot the winds, when objects fly to your face with no prior notice, yes, that is trouble too.

Well on chain lube you can go longer with some lubricants.

I use this on backroads dirt and rain. Last 800km. Works great and last a long time. Favorite lubricant so far. They have a dirt bike version which is more film based, but pretty sure that one has PTFE and that is one nasty chemical for the environment.
Bezos' moving in mysterious ways: despite being a French product I ordered it in the German Amazon much cheaper than in the French one! I tend to like French products, like Motul (care & oils), thanks anyway for the hint.

I started with a versys in september 2022 and, inevitably I rode all along autumn and winter. Only defeated by the salted roads (they start seasoning over here well before the snow comes) that I had neither the place not the mood to rinse the bike from the salt afterwards.
Otherwise I did well, winter bike clothes and boots, insulated underware, and driving daily distances up to 120 km, in a way to became a cold-weather rider. Besides, I did that Japanese training (motogymkhana) in the cold and got no issues.
I received my gen3 in mid july 2023 and the heat did not let me ride before sunset (no t-shirt and shorts of course, I am an old fart).
In regards to safety, I keep huge distances, my purpose is to foresee everything and allow no surprises, that is perhaps why both bike and car mechanics wonder why my brake pads do not seem being used at all (took 60,000 km to replace them).
About heated grips... I don't know... the kawasaki's were not that effective, so I rather invested in thick insulated gloves. Only drawback is some loss of dexterity in the fingers, that is why I keep practicing with the thick gloves (Held Gloves Tonale Black) despite temps of 8 C (46 F).
But putting the gear, is really tough. And if nature calls, ... then I am really pissed-off!
Ah, forgot the winds, when objects fly to your face with no prior notice, yes, that is trouble too.

Heated riding gloves man!
They will change your life, lol
Not too thick, so grip is good.
A heated vest, pants, and socks are available too, and not nearly as expensive aa they used to be either.

.... only wanted to see what others do for such travel ranges
mount an automatic chain oiler like the rockoil scottoiler v-system
plus the blue oil for 0-30°C circ. temps
and inject with a syringe 5 ccm of standard fuel/petrol into the oilers resrvoir when nearly full

the oil under 10°C is a bit too stiff - the fuel helps a damn lot - my exp.

the oilers volume last, at MY bikes, allways for around 900-1000 km.

When I went over the hill a week ago, there was frost in the shadows near the summit. I slowed down and tapped the rear brake to see what's what. Then I rethought some of my life choices...

IMG_0002-M.jpg

Back