Question on Chain Lubricant

Investor

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, can you advise what's the best thing to use to clean up chain lubricant. I just got my 07 Busa less than two weeks ago
super.gif
, and today gave it its first bumper to bumper cleaning and waxing
biggrin.gif
. The chain lubricant was/is all over from spray; namely though on the rear wheel rim and chain gaurd. This is first bike in many years that I've had with final drive chain (first sports bike as all previous cruisers were either belt or shaft drive). This lubricant is really hard to get off
pissed.gif
. Any suggestions as to best cleaner/technique to clean it up?
Thanks

Like the manual recommends, Kerosene, works great, I bought an 05 Busa with 7000 miles and it looked like the orig. owner never cleaned the chain, I just took a terry cloth towel saturated with Kerosene and wiped the chain repeatedly until clean, then wiped it down with motor oil, castrol GTX, cleaned up very nice & easy, looks great also.

I use Simple Green to clean my rim and the other 'spray' areas but to really cut down on those spray areas, I lube the chain after a ride when its hot. I use Maxima chain wax. For the side plates of the chain and the really tough cleaning I use WD40 on a terry cloth towel. I would never soak the chain links with it but for cleanup it works very well.

I bought a brush that you put on your chain and run the chain right through it... someone on this forum recommended it and so far it works well for the Busa and my mountain-bike. Its called the Grunge-Brush. You can even soak the bristles with kerosene or WD40 and that works well too.

Plexus on the body and other parts. WD40 with a brush to clean chain, then apply Maxima chain wax. Good luck!

Simple green on everything, especially plastics. Mix with water, 1:1.

--Wag--

Kerosene and tooth brush to clean. I use Maxima Chain wax and it stays on the chain. Very pleased with results. Just be sure to warm up chain prior and let sit overnight after application. Virtually no "fly off".

Chain Clean by Motorex will clean about anything. I use it on the frame, the sprocket, and anywhere I get chain lube residual.

(Rayabusa0818 @ Jul. 19 2007,09:43) Chain Clean by Motorex will clean about anything.  I use it on the frame, the sprocket, and anywhere I get chain lube residual.
I also like the Motorex Chain lube...keeps the chain nice and sticky and doesn't sling off.

The downside is that Motorex products cost 25 to 30% more than other brands.

I use Cycle Care Formulas ( www.cyclecare.com ) for everything from polishing the fairing to Alum polish to Engine/Wheel/Tire cleaners. I've use them for 10 years and have NEVER been sorry. Including the windshield cleaning polish that allows me to just wipe off bugs and go. Same for my face shield, which makes riding during several months of BUG-O-LO time, a no problem situation. As far as your chain lube (I use chain wax) it's a wipe on/wipe off situation with their Wheel Cleaner Spray  
beerchug.gif

kerosene [as per manual] with nylon brisstle brush on the chain. honda pro lube for chain after cleaning.

wax...got lube all over my frame and and swing arm..i just waxed my bike for like 1 1/2 hours the other day and was pissed about all the crap all over...so just waxed the area and viola off no prob...looks brand new...now the wax i have is very expensive and you cant get it anywhere in less you are a wholesale dealer...(used to work for a ford dealership) but im sure a good wax will work...

whoever put mine together at the dealer made a huge mess and got more spray on the rear wheel than on the chain and brake cleaner works good and its a tire cleaner called beach white for white wall tires and its a super degeaser works a great just make sure you wax the paint you've used either one of those on

if your asking about getting the gunk off your rims... wd-40 on a rag will get it off quick and it cleans your rims up real nice too. if its on the underside of your tail section you can spray a LITTLE bit of wd-40 on a rag and wipe with that too. I have had the same problem in the past and the wd works great.

I put the bike on a roll stand then use WD-40 for light cleaning and protection. I use kerosene and a brush and/or old T-shirt to clean the chain before using chain lube then clean up with WD-40. I also cut out a small piece of cardboard and place it between the wheel and chain to keep the crap off the real wheel during maintenance.

Back