chain lubrication for a long journey

Hello guys,

I apologize in advance for being pedantic, hysteric and bike-obsessed.
I wish to make a long journey with my new gen3 from central Europe to Italy (Ancona) in December mind you!
I am going to spend the night in the neighborhood of Modena (as usually I do when by car).
So the first leg, inevitably crossing France and Switzerland comes about 900 km (no, I won't take the Gottardo pass, it already put me off in the car - fog and 25m visibility).
The second is shorter, about 280 km.
Now, at this time of year, rain is guaranteed, meaning that apart from refueling, one needs to lubricate one's chain, every 300 km at least.
Is my assumption correct or not?
In which case, a small rear-wheel lift, brush, cleaning and greasing spray are necessary.
Clothing is also an issue, suspecting that for the second leg I will need to put lighter gloves and remove the thermo-underware.
I do not count with black-ice, at least for the motorways, wrong?

Is anything else that needs to be addressed (apart from the mental assessment, why riding long in bad weather while normal people enjoy a brandy in the fireplace...)?

At least I am offering you an amusing subject.

rgds
AK

Nothing... lol... sometimes I go 3,000 miles without doing anything. Rain, mud, or sunshine. All the same.
Me too. Nothing, 15,000 miles on my chain, still on original factory adjustment. Around 1 1/4” play.

Pins and bushings are sealed. Lubricant with road dust makes a nice efficient grinding paste. That grinding paste makes for nice wear between sprockets and rollers as well as rollers and bushings.

Hello guys,

I wish to make a long journey with my new gen3 from central Europe to Italy (Ancona) in December mind you!
I am going to spend the night in the neighborhood of Modena (as usually I do when by car).
So the first leg, inevitably crossing France and Switzerland comes about 900 km (no, I won't take the Gottardo pass, it already put me off in the car - fog and 25m visibility).
Now, at this time of year, rain is guaranteed, meaning that apart from refueling, one needs to lubricate one's chain, every 300 km at least.
In which case, a small rear-wheel lift, brush, cleaning and greasing spray are necessary.
Clothing is also an issue, suspecting that for the second leg I will need to put lighter gloves and remove the thermo-underware.

Is anything else that needs to be addressed (apart from the mental assessment, why riding long in bad weather while normal people enjoy a brandy in the fireplace...)?

rgds
AK

I’ve used this Quick Stand for many tours along

IMG_3569.jpg

with Maxima chain lube. Assemble the three pieces, use the velcro strap around the front brake lever, attach one end of the QS to the right side spool and lift the rear of the bike towards the side stand until the wheel is off the ground then rotate the tire while lubing it and kick the QS away and voila.

Double bubble, heated grips and Frogg Togg's keep me comfortable (more or less) in the cold and wet.

I do wonder about the function of lubricating a modern o-ring chain. The lube is permanently sealed in the rollers / pins. So are we just keeping the o-rings lubricated and preventing rust on the plates? I carry a small can of Motorex for the road.

IMG_7633-M.jpg

Last edited:
Double bubble, heated grips and Frogg Togg's keep me comfortable (more or less) in the cold and wet.

I do wonder about the function of lubricating a modern o-ring chain. The lube is permanently sealed in the rollers / pins. So are we just keeping the o-rings lubricated and preventing rust on the plates? I carry a small can of Motorex for the road.

View attachment 1672753

Basically, yep

Hello guys,

rgds
AK
Well on chain lube you can go longer with some lubricants.

I use this on backroads dirt and rain. Last 800km. Works great and last a long time. Favorite lubricant so far. They have a dirt bike version which is more film based, but pretty sure that one has PTFE and that is one nasty chemical for the environment.

View attachment 1672753

Another vote for FroggToggs. They absolutely keep you dry. Gotta have waterproof gloves or glove covers too. May be cumbersome like mittens but once down the road they’re fine. My boots are waterproof and my Scorpion helmet has a fog free shield. My chain lube (is) for rust prevention as well as for lubing the chain.

View attachment 1672753
You what keeps me warm and dry in the cold?

My pick up truck....

Another vote for FroggToggs. They absolutely keep you dry. Gotta have waterproof gloves or glove covers too. May be cumbersome like mittens but once down the road they’re fine. My boots are waterproof and my Scorpion helmet has a fog free shield. My chain lube (is) for rust prevention as well as for lubing the chain.
Done with clothing, gloves and boots, but now you mentioned the helmet, I coincidentally use a SCORPION EXO-1400 EVO CARBON AIR whose pinlock shield has just begun losing its anti-fog qualities. Any hints? I will anyway contact the factory for suggestions.

Me too. Nothing, 15,000 miles on my chain, still on original factory adjustment. Around 1 1/4” play.

Pins and bushings are sealed. Lubricant with road dust makes a nice efficient grinding paste. That grinding paste makes for nice wear between sprockets and rollers as well as rollers and bushings.
Did I lose an episode? Does the user guide require lubrication after 300 km on rain or not? And I remember this also for my previous bike (Kawasaki)...

Done with clothing, gloves and boots, but now you mentioned the helmet, I coincidentally use a SCORPION EXO-1400 EVO CARBON AIR whose pinlock shield has just begun losing its anti-fog qualities. Any hints? I will anyway contact the factory for suggestions.

I‘m not a fan of pin lock ‘technology’ especially when Scorpion still makes no fog shields for their EXOR420, my newest helmet. Helluva bargain too, Snell and DOT certified as well. Good company here too.

IMG_3658.jpg

Back