chain greasing / maintenance

well men

i stay riding while you are spraying and cleaning
and I never have to torment myself because I have to kneel down next to the bike.
my autom. oiler is easily accessible and refillable.
the amount of chain oil that I use is around 12 liters per 25,000 km .
but you are definitely still very young - as an old man I like it more when it's comfortable and at the same time I save a lot of money.
:p
looooooooooooooooooooooooool
You do almost 80000km on a chain?? Wow. Can you send me a picture of what you have installed on your bike?
Thanks

@denodeno

i prefer this, the most simple and best installable, system
with its (greenish blue) summer-oil (up to 30°C) louis-art.-no. 10003133

but there are other chain lubricating systems available. that´s up to your decision

the absolute main thing is that you get - automatically - 1 drop of adhesive oil every ~2 minutes onto the chain.
the scott-oil is best i guess, but even the usual adhesive motor-chain-saw-oil does this job quite well.

a small caveat
the front sprocket has to be replaced every approx. 30-35,000 km.
the teeth get bent backwards - audible from the clear click of the chain when the bike is pushed backwards (motor off)

and what ever all the others will cry now -
that replacing of the front sprocket while leaving chain and rear sprocket at their place works properly.
(alone) my brother and me already did that over the last 19 years dozens of times definitely! without any issues.
note :
what we always at first additionally for safety do is to inspect the chain at the rear sprocket how far away we can pull the chain off the sprocket.

usually you only can lift the chain around half a millimeter - if more than one millimeter the chain will be "dead" - but then you also can see washed-out / shark-like-teeth at the rear sprocket.

to control the "scotty´s" job you only have to look if the the chain rollers are a litlle bit anthracite gray and NEVER chrome like shining.
if necessary turn the scotty´s adjuster-wheel a very little bit more to open.
if you got more than 2 or 3 dots of oil on the rim over a milage of lets say 100 mi turn the scotty´s adjuster-wheel a very little bit more to close and watch the "color" of the chain over the next 5 mi - the rollers MUST stay lightly anthracite gray - if not the greasing is not sufficiant.
usual first pos. of the adjuster-wheel after the installation is figuratively pos. 3 of 10
then you have to test a bit as written above "color of chain"

NOTE :
all milages are taken by the hayabusa with a DID 530 ZVMx chain + steel sprockets f/r and "standard street use"

@denodeno

i prefer this, the most simple and best installable, system
with its (greenish blue) summer-oil (up to 30°C) louis-art.-no. 10003133

but there are other chain lubricating systems available. that´s up to your decision

the absolute main thing is that you get - automatically - 1 drop of adhesive oil every ~2 minutes onto the chain.
the scott-oil is best i guess, but even the usual adhesive motor-chain-saw-oil does this job quite well.

a small caveat
the front sprocket has to be replaced every approx. 30-35,000 km.
the teeth get bent backwards - audible from the clear click of the chain when the bike is pushed backwards (motor off)

and what ever all the others will cry now -
that replacing of the front sprocket while leaving chain and rear sprocket at their place works properly.
(alone) my brother and me already did that over the last 19 years dozens of times definitely! without any issues.
note :
what we always at first additionally for safety do is to inspect the chain at the rear sprocket how far away we can pull the chain off the sprocket.

usually you only can lift the chain around half a millimeter - if more than one millimeter the chain will be "dead" - but then you also can see washed-out / shark-like-teeth at the rear sprocket.

to control the "scotty´s" job you only have to look if the the chain rollers are a litlle bit anthracite gray and NEVER chrome like shining.
if necessary turn the scotty´s adjuster-wheel a very little bit more to open.
if you got more than 2 or 3 dots of oil on the rim over a milage of lets say 100 mi turn the scotty´s adjuster-wheel a very little bit more to close and watch the "color" of the chain over the next 5 mi - the rollers MUST stay lightly anthracite gray - if not the greasing is not sufficiant.
usual first pos. of the adjuster-wheel after the installation is figuratively pos. 3 of 10
then you have to test a bit as written above "color of chain"

NOTE :
all milages are taken by the hayabusa with a DID 530 ZVMx chain + steel sprockets f/r and "standard street use"
Thanks man. I will definitely look into this come spring time.

@denodeno
and @ all others too ;)

here two descriptions where and how best to install a "scotty" (a kind of a "Scotty-FAQ")
hopefully these two pages answer all questions :)

for gen1

for gen2

(but please read the entire text - every line is really important) ;)

Don't know, I clean my chain when needed and lube it when needed.

I've never had the need for an auto-oiler for any bike I've every owned although I'm sure they have their merits.

With the Scotty oiler, when it is set correctly, does oil get all over the rim? I’m thinking about getting one but I don’t want a mess. Thanks

bee?

how long / for how many km did your chains last?

mine always over 80,000 km
with a minimum of costs
2 x 1/2 liter of the scott-oil = 2 x 13,95 €
2 x new front sprocket = 2 x 12.50 €
the scotty = 1 x 140 €
and 1.5 h for install
and some 3 minutes to refill the scotty after ~ 1,000-1,200 km
and 2 x 1.5 h to replace the front sprocket

btw. - my brother pushed it to the very extreme at his former ´01 busa - there he replaced the chain set after 104,000 km :shocked:(3 x front sprocket)

cheaper / with lower costs and less time expenditure you can´t ride a bike - i´m 100% sure

bros?
make a real ´n hard calculation about
the costs for lubrication (oil-spray cans) of the chain
the costs for the chain sets you needed over 80,000 km
the hours and hours of kneeling beside the bike to spray the chain and what a kind of hard and uncomfortable work this was (and is).

what we say here in germany is :
the better "thing" is the good/standard "thing´s" biggest enemy.

an automatic oiler is at a longer view the cheapest luxury at its very best.
more money and more hours you can´t save while maintenance.

follow me and my experiences and you'll be deeply astonished - promised!
more positive exp.
you can´t get.

bee?

how long / for how many km did your chains last?

mine always over 80,000 km
with a minimum of costs
2 x 1/2 liter of the scott-oil = 2 x 13,95 €
2 x new front sprocket = 2 x 12.50 €
the scotty = 1 x 140 €
and 1.5 h for install
and some 3 minutes to refill the scotty after ~ 1,000-1,200 km
and 2 x 1.5 h to replace the front sprocket

btw. - my brother pushed it to the very extreme at his former ´01 busa - there he replaced the chain set after 104,000 km :shocked:(3 x front sprocket)

cheaper / with lower costs and less time expenditure you can´t ride a bike - i´m 100% sure

bros?
make a real ´n hard calculation about
the costs for lubrication (oil-spray cans) of the chain
the costs for the chain sets you needed over 80,000 km
the hours and hours of kneeling beside the bike to spray the chain and what a kind of hard and uncomfortable work this was (and is).

what we say here in germany is :
the better "thing" is the good/standard "thing´s" biggest enemy.

an automatic oiler is at a longer view the cheapest luxury at its very best.
more money and more hours you can´t save while maintenance.

follow me and my experiences and you'll be deeply astonished - promised!
more positive exp.
you can´t get.
My chains last a long time, I buy the best I can get...I have never scrimped on important parts.

I have yet to put that many kms on any of bike bikes in the past...I usually had 4-5 bikes around so I didn't put that many kms on each bike...I put a few kms on when I was racing and probably could have used and auto-oiler but they were not allowed on the track.

I like my bike to stay clean and oil fling-free so it is a little more work but the result is no oil all over the bike. I've used chain wax for many years now and it works great.

Seeing this is my last ever bike, I will have no future requirement for any auto oilers.

Going the route of @c10 and getting shaft drive is the way to go if you don't want chain maintenance.

With the Scott y oiler, when it is set correctly, does oil get all over the rim? I’m thinking about getting one but I don’t want a mess. Thanks

man don´t worry - when correctly set only 4-5 drops you´ll get on the rim
1st - if you got the original scott-oil on the polished rim you very easy wipe it away with a cotton cloth in a minute.
2nd - if you got more than ~ 6 drops on the rim reduce the oil flow a very little tiny bit while watching the coloring of the rollers in light gray after the next 3-4 miles.
3rd - the costs for a new chain-set you always ignore / you don't care at all ? ok forget the oiler(s) and spray ;)

Back