Making chain lube easier - interesting product - Z Chain Cleaner Oiler

You know what? I just like to use the old fashioned way... I get some white spirit (paraffin solvent) in a small bowl - usually an old ice cream tub, a few rags and an old tooth brush, throw an old rag down and get scrubbing.

But on my Busa I have a touring scottoiler fitted in the tail unit, my chain lasted 18,000 miles / 30,000 K - I think I cleaned the chain about 3 times. Granted the chain was stretched to the limit but I never had a problem.

I agree. The way I do it is this....

I hold the shop towel underneath the chain to make sure I don't spray the Dupont on the wheel and do 3-4 links at a time and wipe off the excess as soon as I sprayed. That's all there is to it. No mess at all.

Hey Red, How long do you let the Du Pont dry before you ride? I do it the same way you do but just cant seem to keep my wheels clean. I put the HPC break pads on my 08 and have had a scraping noise ever since. It might be break dust on the wheel but the chain just will not stay as clean as yours. Thanks in advance

^ Are you cleaning the chain before riding or after?

I like to clean and lube the chain AFTER a ride. That way the chain is warmed up and it can dry/settle after the lubing.

i'm moving to teflon stuff...
it doesnt matter when i lube.. before, after or in the middle(dumb huh?)
been using motul(2nd can).. and it slings all over the place.. not as hard to get off as Maxima.. but it slings more then Maxima(2 cans) does..

but the motul cleaner is pretty good...

and my rims have NEVER looked like sleepless... EVER

^ Are you cleaning the chain before riding or after?

I like to clean and lube the chain AFTER a ride. That way the chain is warmed up and it can dry/settle after the lubing.

I clean mine after I ride. It will sit at least 12 hrs before I ride again. It looks like a lot of dust and fine grit all over my wheels when I get home. Maybe it is coming off the road. I can here the breaks scraping a little but it sounds more in the front. The sound will go away when I hit the front break and does not change when I hit the back one. I have had that scrapping noise ever since I put the brake pads on it in March. I read in another thread where it was normal for that to happen.

The reason you guys haven't gotten your chain as clean as RED is your not using the Dupont cleaner, dry wax. My chain and thousands of others look just like his with the minimal work required. Takes me about 10 minutes. I set the bike on the rear stand, put a rag on the floor under the chain and while turning the wheel very slowly, I spray the heck out of it. The liquid running off the chain carries all of the dirt away and it hits the rag on the floor. I go around twice and then I'm done. Simple! Easy! Works every time! No real cleaning required as it self cleans. The dry wax lube does not gather much dirt at all. I then let it sit for about 4 hours for the liquid to all evaporate. EASY!!! Very Clean!!! Works like magic! No brushing, no scrubbing, no sweating, no rust, just a clean chain!
But wait, theres more! You can get double your order if you... oh, wait, I'm not on TV now....:laugh:

The stuff really does work!

Hey Red, How long do you let the Du Pont dry before you ride? I do it the same way you do but just cant seem to keep my wheels clean. I put the HPC break pads on my 08 and have had a scraping noise ever since. It might be break dust on the wheel but the chain just will not stay as clean as yours. Thanks in advance

Overnight or longer.

Here's a couple of pics I took last Wednesday afternoon. Just trying to show the result after using the Dupont. I don't clean the chain with other cleaners. I only use a shop towel and Dupont.
The towel I use....
BLUETOWE.JPG

The chain has more than 14K miles on it. Sorry about the picture quality. I took them inside the garage.

168 Miles 007.jpg

168 Miles 010.jpg

Last edited:
Back