Chain lube ?

OK now on the topic of chains... someone please help me out. I bought the busa, it didnt come up in 3rd as easily as I wanted. Put a 42 on da rear. No problems it is more fun, BUT with only 3K miles on as of today i snapped the stock chain. Yes it was a rolling brnout to a wheelie, but at 3K? Anybody else with bad luck as well as recommendations to new brand of chain?

-John

For those of you using Kerosene or other solvent-based cleaners on your chains:
Make sure you clean and dry the chain well after using that type of cleaner. If there is any residue left on the chain when you lube it, the lubricant will not come in complete contact with the metal. I have seen many axle bearings on autos go bad very fast from a sh!tty job of cleaning and repacking bearings.

I use WD-40 (a lubricant) to clean the chain,
and 80/90 gear oil for lube. Also makes it easy to wipe the side of the chain for a clean look.

Am I the only one who uses Simple Green.  I love the stuff, especially that I don't have to worry about it on the o-rings.
I also use Motorex Racing Chainlube -- least messy stuff around and causes minimal buildup.
Both companies - feel free to contact me, I'd make a great sales rep.

me and several of my friends have used WD-40 and PJ1
for years. its great and works well over the years.
My chain 13k, and its in great shape. but then agian keep in mind my tire is 13k also. and its not even that bad. my step dad (the guy i bought it from, he had it since new) road it like a 80 year old grandma.
so maybe that helped keep the chain, sproket, tire, etc in great shape.
i also clean and lube every 500 miles and i dont ride in the rain. that was the same way my step dad took care of it also.

As I had mentioned before. The most important thing is keep it clean. No matter what you put on it for lube if it is dirty it will wear more. Wd-40 is great for cleaning then lube with a chain lube not wax, which grabs dirst. Clean after every ride.

Back