Chain lube ?

sleepyreb

Registered
Can someone tell me what is the best thing to use to clean your chain and what is the best to use to lube it? I use to use super clean on a chain on a old bike i had and it kept eating the o-rings out of the chain. :super:

I use WD-40 to clean the chain and Torco Power Slide (titanium series) chain lube. Works great !

I use WD-40 to clean the chain. I then use a chain wax for the lubricant. The benefit is that the chain wax does not sling off of the chain, and mess up the swingarm, ect.

Stealth

BTW, my chain has 10K on it and still looks good.

coffeecup.gif

wd40is a great cleaner. I use chain wax or PJ1 chainlube. Neither flys off the chain soiling your swingarm and wheels.

WD-40 is great

Chain Wax is good too.

but my experience with PJ-1... This get's messy as hell at times.

that's my .02

I use WD-40 and a tooth brush to clean and 90W gear oil to lube.

I still have a can of chain wax I bought over 2 years ago. Since switching to oil, although a little messy, the oil is easy to wipe clean and my chain has 14K miles and is still below the service limit, with a good 10K+ to go. I only managed 11K with the OEM chain and chain wax.

My next step will be a Hawke oiler or a auto-oiling system I build myself.

If its a chain I can take right off the bike I usually use Kerosene . Then oil it up with the latestest thing frm PJ1 , the white stuff,sticks like poo-poo to a babies blanket .

I use kerosene to clean my chain and will try this new chain lube we get here at the job as soon as I am complete with the polishing and put the bike back together.

Brian

Like many others I use WD-40 to clean and then ride a short ride to warm the chain up come back spray chain wax on and let sit for about an hour or so. It does not make a mess like others. 10k on my chain and I am replaceing it just now

I'm using Motul chain lube right now because NONE of the bike shops in my area had PJ1 and I had to lube the chain. The Motul doesn't sling off but it's so sticky I can't wipe the excess off the chain! No kidding! The rag sticks to the chain! As soon as I can get something else I'm switching back.

I'm using Motul chain lube right now because NONE of the bike shops in my area had PJ1 and I had to lube the chain.  The Motul doesn't sling off but it's so sticky I can't wipe the excess off the chain!  No kidding!  The rag sticks to the chain!  As soon as I can get something else I'm switching back.
Brennanop,
I sell the PJ1 just let me know and I will send you a can.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Actually I wasn't using PJ1 before, I was using MFR but I couldn't find it either. My mechanic usually stocks it and I'll get some next time I'm there. Unless you sell it... :super:

I over heard someone say WD40 was bad to clean the chain with.

I guess not with more than a few people cleaning theres with it.

Dumb question but I'll ask it anyway so I will know it the future when I go to clean my chain again.So to those cleaning there chain with WD40 it doesn't do any harm to the chain?

I used to use WD40 to clean my guns. Was easy to spray on and seemed to work good. However, it is NOT good for long term storage. It gets REAL gummy...like a sticky glue.

Wait...we are talking about bike chains. I dunno. I'm real turned off with WD40's effects on guns. I'll probably use kerosene to clean it and some stuff called Ballistol to lube it.
Either that or a bike lube designed for that purpose.

Dep

diesel and a paintbrush is cheap and cleans well.

chain wax, lube, oil ...... same sht diff names (ok so there may be slight differences)..

Kerosene only...It's cleans the chain and sprocket...It also lubes...So there you have it...

Back