Does anyone lube a new chain?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Jus askin…we all know a new O or X ring chain has lube on the rollers but should we lube it before putting any miles on it? As many as I’ve had I can’t recall lubing a new chain. I always clean the goo off the side plates of a new chain before riding as it attracts dirt. I do the same after lubing one but do you lube a brand new chain?

Jus askin…we all know a new O or X ring chain has lube on the rollers but should we lube it before putting any miles on it? As many as I’ve had I can’t recall lubing a new chain. I always clean the goo off the side plates of a new chain before riding as it attracts dirt. I do the same after lubing one but do you lube a brand new chain?
Mine was plenty greasy out of the box when i replaced it a few months back so Ill be waiting until I put 1k miles on it before I resume me routine.

Yeah, all new chains feel kinda tacky as though they’ve been soaked and drip dried. I use a towel damp with WD40 or Simple Green just to wipe the side plates clean. I rode it home from the dealer 40 miles away and unless the storm hits I’m riding tomorrow. I can also feel the difference in my new Cush drive. Very smooth (on/off throttle to rear sprocket) feel. Highly recommend them to others at the next tire change. A silicone spray helps to put them into place.

First thing I did when my new bike came home was remove ALL the lube from my chain using a hydrocarbon solvent. I’m close to 15,000 miles now and my chain has never ever again seen any lube whatsoever. Zero maintenance either.

I know it goes against the belief of everyone, but one day when I get my sixth new back tire, I will post a video. Because my chain is still on its factory adjustment and the slack is still near to specification.

Back