Chain Lube Spray

MinnesotaGuy

Registered
Okay guys, I'm cleaning my brand new Busa for the first time and I noticed a considerable amount of chain lube sprayed all over the rear sprocket area. The lube the dealership or factory put on there is some pretty serious goop. What recommendation do you guys have for cleaning it up safely (no damage to the painted areas and nothing that will undermine the rear tire's grip)?

Off the paint I'd just use glass cleaner. Pretty much what I use everywhere, swingarm wheel etc. some good snapa tuff with ammonia. As far as lube I use BG chain lube. Put it on a stand, have someone roll the tire mid speed and I hold a rag underneath the sprocket and spray! Don't get crazy cause like you see it all leaves once you hit about 30 lol as far as cleaning the old stuff, a rag with good ole gasoline works

Use Kerosene and a toothbrush.

Wipe off any you get any where.

Maxima Clear Chain Wax is good to put on chain.

chainwax1.png

Good stuff you guys, I appreciate your input. My other bikes are belt drive (except my kids CBR500R, but I didn't have the chain lube issue with that one when I brought it home from the dealership). I haven't worked with a chain on a bike in a very long time. Knowing how you do things makes me more comfortable with it.

I use kerosene and a "chain cleaning brush" and don't worry about it hitting my aftermarket wheels or paint. When using the rag I just pour kerosene on it and grab the lower section of the the chain and roll the tire BACKWARDS with the other hand(obviously with bike on a rear stand). Try to stay focus on witch way you are moving the rear tire so we don't have to read about crushed/lost fingers. It has happened before. After all that, I just wipe off once done and spray DuPont silicone lube.
Here is a random link of the brush I use:
http://www.mxsouth.com/pit-posse-v476/chain-cleaning-brush-p21746/

For cleaning the chain I've used kerosene, it's cheap and works but it's stinky and messy. I switched to Dupont motorcycle degreaser, spray it on and brush with a toothbrush then wipe with a rag. It's still a messy job but works like a charm. For lube I've tried Royal Purple and Lucas, both didn't work too well. Switched to Dupont Chain Saver and haven't looked back. My chains lasted longer and there was less residual mess.

WD-40 Rag, old sock, old underwear, and Maxim Gold Chain Wax. Most new chains come with the white lithium grease.

I use to use Dupont as well, no cleaning Dupont kept my chain clean and I thought I was in heaven.;)

New experience though:
I am a cyclist, licenced with USA cycling and we get around 3,000 miles on a chain at $60 then we have to replace. These are light weight non-o-ring chains. Using Dupont here, the chain starts chirping like a bird after about 150 miles and keeping it lubed with Dupont reduces life to 2,000 miles before the stretch is out of specification. So I have to go back to drawing board on my Busa chain?

The trick is that any dirt on the chain mixed with a lubricant will form grinding paste, with increased chain and sprocket wear. You can't remove a motorcycle chain, throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner as you do with a bicycle chain and really clean it properly on a motorcycle, before re-lubing.

I think on the Busa I may just run the chain dry and see what happens.

Back