Central Florida starting to suck

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Every morning on my way to work on 441, always always (at leat the last couple months) see a few cops sitting with radar guns...usually have someone pulled over.

It's a 6 lane highway in a small town that is 35 mph.
They actually got my daughter a few months ago doing 51 in the 35 and hit a kid going to college working 2 jobs for $180...nice. Way to slow that villian down...the road is much safe now.

So tonight, my Son comes home from church in his truck...he counts..8....8 cops camped out with radar guns etc in about a 5 mile span from the bridge to my house.

I'll say it again...speeding is a victimless crime...stick the radar guns up your arse...patrol the neighborhoods and my house and try to find the guy that broke into my garage 3 months ago.

Doesn't the OPD have absolutely nothing else to do more important? WTF...I think we have to many officers and spend to much on LEO

This is ridiculas...

BTW...here is the major felon (my daughter) that the mighty kong nailed for doing 51 lousy mph in a 35

rant.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ask her why she was speeding?

When I speed I always ask myself that.

That's small town Florida for you, excessivly low speed limits (35 instead of 45) and plenty of people to collect money.

They do this because nobody would vote to make this a toll road.

As long as they stay off the interstates (I saw 1 Friday between Orlando and Jax), then I'll be smiling.  
biggrin.gif

Is there a possibility you will counsel your daughter for doing 51 in a 35? I live in Central Fla myself. Yes the cops can be real asshats here. But ummmmm....51 in a 35 is speeding and not even a little bit. Look I feel the pain of anyone that gets jacked up by the cops here, so don't think I am not trying to see your frustration, but if they are routinely seeing the kind of speeds that you seem to feel are being done routinely, thern maybe the cops do have reasons to be heavily present there.

When I was in college and speeding around LA thinking I was cool, my dad always had these words that are so very true.........'If your going to play then eventually your going to pay!" 51 in a 35.........might wanna slow down some!

Oh please....51 in a 35 is nothing. Heck a mild take off in first gear and were hitting 50 on a busa.

My point is that doing 51...61...(traffic permitting) and what happens...nothing. The earth does not stop, the moon does not fall from the sky...and everyone goes about their business. So who really cares...

Your on a back road and crack the Busa past 100...who cares, who did you hurt?

A much more effective use of manpower is patrolling the schools, homes, and drug areas...not busting people trying to get to work.

So what if the whole road and everyone on it was doing 55....so what?

Ahh...the horror of it all.

tounge.gif

Personally I think speed limit signs should be mearly suggestions or recommended speeds and no one should get a ticket except for really excessive dangerous speed and wreckless driving
biggrin.gif

BTW - any of you guys go to the dragon, make sure you don't exceed the posted speed limit
tounge.gif

While I agree speeding tickets serve no purpose other than bringing in money... No need to try and pass your daughter off as a poor college kid working 2 jobs, and driving a vehicle like that. I would imagine you could put 180$ in the gas tank of that thing in a week easy.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 01 2007,04:18) Did you ask her why she was speeding?

When I speed I always ask myself that.

That's small town Florida for you, excessivly low speed limits (35 instead of 45) and plenty of people to collect money.

They do this because nobody would vote to make this a toll road.

As long as they stay off the interstates (I saw 1 Friday between Orlando and Jax), then I'll be smiling.
biggrin.gif
Thats the truth. FL has ridiculously slow speed limits for off highway roads. I know of one in Broward County that is 6 lanes of traffic at 35 mph and the POPO sit out there waiting.

(BowDown @ Oct. 01 2007,08:00) While I agree speeding tickets serve no purpose other than bringing in money... No need to try and pass your daughter off as a poor college kid working 2 jobs, and driving a vehicle like that. I would imagine you could put 180$ in the gas tank of that thing in a week easy.
Yep, I'm sure he had no hard feelings writing a ticket to a blinged out Hummer...
muscle.gif

(BowDown @ Oct. 01 2007,08:00) While I agree speeding tickets serve no purpose other than bringing in money... No need to try and pass your daughter off as a poor college kid working 2 jobs, and driving a vehicle like that. I would imagine you could put 180$ in the gas tank of that thing in a week easy.
jump9.gif

Sorry...that's not her car. A friend at the time was working at a car dealership and they got that in as a trade in and a group of kids got to take the hummer around for a little joy riding.

My daughter always said if I win the lotto, that's what she wants
biggrin.gif

Can you see a big black hummer with tinted windows and the rims and out pops my little girl...that's why she wanted a picture.

On a serious note, I am in no way passing off her speeding ticket or excussing it (or even whinning about it). I just used that as an example...my point is that speeding tickets in almost all cases serve no purpose and a police office can spend his time much more effectively.

Speeding tickets are revenue.

Catching theives and murders costs us money, catching speeders makes us money  
wink.gif

But I don't blame cops, its their job. Blame the local politicans and us, "the people".

I agree that tickets are quick easy revenues for the LEOs. No doubt at all about that. So much so that it gets regularly abused by them....against us.

We have a road here near me that heads over your way. 192. 192 from Brevard County where I live, to Osceola County by you, is posted 55. It is a 4 lane divided most of the way with expansion to complete that the whole way. Good quality 4 lane road. Yes it gets travelled by slower moving trucks transporting stuff, no doubt about it. It also can at many times be as far as the eye can see miles of quality 4 lane highway with ZERO traffic issues, regularly travelled on at 70+ MPH by most. You think I let her rip out there? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! Probably safer there than on the Interstate to do it. Is there consequence to my speeding there....your point is taken. Should I get ticketed under these circumstances? Not as far as I am concerned. So you made your points. However; I don't think a 16 year old has the same judgement capacity as her father. To tell them speed if YOU think conditions warrant...well to be honest....its just to easy to lose your kid with that sort of input. We lost a 17 year old kid and a 16 year old female passenger here on a Gxer a few months back. Over 80 in a 35. When interviewed, his dad said, he was a good kid and he knew how to ride motorcycles. Been riding them for years.

There must have been some unusual circumstances...etc etc etc......ummmm...yeah the unusual circumstances was the testoserone of a 17 year old male with the allure of that girl on the bike. Would you or I been that foolish?

(Ok maybe if she was 30 and looked like Salma Hayek.......kiddin.....OK if I ever were, we wouldn't be on a bikeride.....LOL.)

Be safe...be real and be careful out there.

yah, they got me too a while back, I took it as kharma, paid the ticket and went on as just being due for all the times I got away with it.

Now for the sour note: The a$$hat got me going from the Polk Parkway to I-4, where it goes from 65 to 45 to 70. He got me 15 over and I was on the brakes slowing down before the curve and he was sitting in the curve.

(coyote69 @ Oct. 01 2007,15:19) yah, they got me too a while back, I took it as kharma, paid the ticket and went on as just being due for all the times I got away with it.

Now for the sour note:  The a$$hat got me going from the Polk Parkway to I-4, where it goes from 65 to 45 to 70.  He got me 15 over and I was on the brakes slowing down before the curve and he was sitting in the curve.
Oh they use a multitude of BS methods to get us. I fight back. I take them to court. 90% of the time they are just sitting there waiting for the gun to go off. Don't even look up from the paper til it does.

Hardly anyone fights them...too much hassle for all that time in court etc....CHA-CHING!!!!

Now if I were doing a run on 192, as mentioned above it would be instant jail at those speeds.....so they better have more than one out there in the boonies because nobody is stopping.

again...traffic stops often lead to more...warrant arrests, vehicles searches, etc etc...many criminals caught on simple traffic stops...nuff said...

My last ticket on the bike was 50 in a 35.....$180. Absolutely in the middle of nowhere!!

I don't mind the tickets but their little slow down speeches drive me crazy. I'm like "yeah speeding's dangerous.....so is being 80 lbs overweight donut master!"
super.gif

i have to admit...i really dont see alot of speed traps in my area....but crime also is not as high i belive

he's right central fla does have a lot of speed traps. I go by em all the time but most the time i try to stick to 5-7mph over the limit. I do wish however they were coordinated in areas where there is more need such as school zones, i4, 408, 417, etc..

(Slicksnchicks @ Oct. 02 2007,11:06) I do wish however they were coordinated in areas where there is more need such as school zones, i4, 408, 417, etc..
I4 408 417? Don't give them ideas. These are the roads I travel the fastest.

Keep LEO's in school zones and around congested areas. I always see people driving aggressively in congestion.

Back