Pulled Over for Follow Up on Evading - Austin TX

kevin8105

Registered
I was traveling down I-35 this morning on my way to work and for those of you in Austin on the lower deck of I-35 a bike cop was doing his normal radar routine and as I passed him I noticed his eyes followed my and the radar gun went in its holster. Watched the mirrors for about a mile and he finally got behind me and followed me for a half mile about a bike length behind me before the lights came on. Pulled over and was questioned intensively about my bike due to "a follow up on a felony evade". Another bike cop showed up and positively identified my bike and they let me go saying they were turning my info over to the investigator. Just an FYI for other Austin TX riders...

2011-05-27200752081.jpg

I doubt they would have let you go if they thought it was you. That sucks, dumb butts giving all riders a bad name.

You would get the same answer either way.... but no it was not me. Cops said they saw a bike identical to mine (extended swingarm yadda yadda) doing 100 down I-35. They got behind the unknown rider and he twited the throttle and they "couldnt keep up"

I doubt they would have let you go if they thought it was you. That sucks, dumb butts giving all riders a bad name.

Yeah what really sucks is now every time I ride to/from work I will be watched for any minor traffic infraction because someone else who owns the only other orange and black hayabusa in the world apparently decided to run from cops.

Around here it's not even model specific, just color. Just "a :enter color: crawtch rawket doing wheelies" or running. No attention to brand, model, or modifications, just "blue" or "green".
Most of the time I think it's just an excuse to pull someone over and have a look. The couple of times it's happened to me, I notice their interest falls off quickly when the helmet comes off and they see the grey hair and me putting on my tri-focals.:laugh:

Around here it's not even model specific, just color. Just "a :enter color: crawtch rawket doing wheelies" or running. No attention to brand, model, or modifications, just "blue" or "green".
Most of the time I think it's just an excuse to pull someone over and have a look. The couple of times it's happened to me, I notice their interest falls off quickly when the helmet comes off and they see the grey hair and me putting on my tri-focals.:laugh:

LOL, thats funny. Juli and I got stopped in Siloam Springs going to Eureka a few years ago, his attitude quickly changed when he saw werent kids. Still got a ticket though. :banghead:

sounds like another cop with control issues.. document everytime your pulled over and not ticketed then go after them for harrassment..
Posted via Mobile Device

For doing their job? Seriously?

Doing your job is one thing, but look at like this.. Say a white chevy pickup runs from the cops and by some miracle gets away. Are the cops going to pull over every white chevy truck until they miraculously find the culprit? No. Just because some idiot ran from the cops everyone with an orange/black busa in Austin is going to be pulled over by these guys and "documented"... Seems more like harrassment to me than "doing their job". I am in no way arguing the fact that they have a job to do and I understand that, but do they really think they will find the guy who outran them by stopping bikes that look like mine? How will that identify the person who did it?

I would be more on the side of doing their job had the cop not immediately treated me like a criminal. I had to let him know during our conversation that I was being respectful to him and expected the same in return. He didnt feel that was a reasonable request.

Fine then, send letter to your congressman and get his job. That will show em, dont forget the badge number. I'm out.

:laugh:seems like cops think we have something to prove because we are on "sport" bikes so they give us greif right off the rip so we don't get the upper hand:rofl:

yes seriously. if you think its not a form of harrassment your wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

so now they are just pulling over every bike that looks like the one for that, good grief, youd think they would have better things to do

Honestly I don't see how they can pull you over just because your bike looks like "the one". I mean really how are they gonna do anything without having a plate #? Or a picture of said bike with some very distinctive markings making it unmistakable. So really what are they doing by pulling someone over just because? Just fishing...

yep, fishing... and the one they pull over for no other reason than "looks like the one..." will be the poor bastid that don't have insurance or inspection expired etc. and gets hemmed up over something stupid

Back