Cat lovers rejoice!!

This 16 year old thread is older than those cats.

IMG_0303.png

A lot of folk hate them here.
Illegal to let them roam free.

A while back there was a push to kill 2,000,000 cats.

I know someone who was getting $10 a cat, $5 a kitten for shooting them.

They are an introduced species here that has caused huge damage to the native animals that aren’t found anywhere else.

Neither we, or any of our neighbours will own one, and any found roaming are considered as vermin.

I had house cats in the UK and loved them, but it’s a different world in rural Australia.

When they turn feral and that’s only after some azzhole let them breed and then abandoned them where they continue to breed and like any other animal, they have to eat. Too bad too, domesticated house cats can be nice to have around…in moderation. I saw a bumper sticker years go that said; PETS, THE HUMAN FOLLY.

Far too many pet owners don’t realize and accept their responsibility. Some, don’t think they (have) any responsibility.

I don't hate cats. And why these cat lovers always assume that just because a person doesn't want one walking all over their dinner table they must hate them speaks more to their own self justification I think. I had a cat once, and I loved it, but it died and I grew up and at 13 years of age got a Honda mini bike and never thought of that cat again.

I don't hate cane toads either, but they are an Australian pest too and there is a certain sense of satisfaction going around the yard with a long handled shovel. For the longest time the boffins at the university believed the most humane way to 'euthanize' them was to catch them, put them in a plastic bag and then put them in your freezer beside the bread rolls and the frozen steak :rolleyes: Now they say that's actually cruel. So much for studies.

If you do decide on the shovel method put a white solar light in the middle of the yard, it attracts the moths and the toads that feed on them. Also be precise where the back curve of the shovel comes down on them, too far forward and the bits that splatter out will get you on the feet. Don't bother trying to collect them after a hit, I know it's tempting to glory over the kill but the others will hop away. Just one massive hit, don't hold back, and then quickly onto the next toad. Take the bigger ones first as they can hop further than the little ones. There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealings done. If you're in on a bush block light a fire, that will attract them and then all you need is a rake.

On a warm summer's evening
On a footpath back of nowhere
I met up a the toader
We were both too tired to sleep

So we took turns a bashing
At the toads beneath the streetlight
Till the boredom overtook us
And he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of bashin these toads brains out
Knowin' where they'd hop to
By the way they held their eyes

So if you don't mind my sayin'
I can see you're out of practice
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And as the toads looked up in wonder
He Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right

You've got to know how to bash 'em
Know how to chase em
Know when to walk right up
And know when to run
You never count your Toads
When you're working up the footpath
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Every toader knows
That the secret to the tally'
Is knowin' that they'll hop away
And that you gotta act real quick
'Cause every hits a winner
And every hits a loser
And the best that you can hope for
Is to cull the mongrels back"

And when he'd finished speakin'
He handed me his shovel
Flicked away his cigarette
Went off to get some sleep
And out there in the darkness
Those toads got bloody nervous
Cause in his final words
I'd found the aces I could keep

Know how to chase em
And know when to run
When the dealin's done.

cane toad-s.jpg

Last edited:
I don't hate cats. And why these cat lovers always assume that just because a person doesn't want one walking all over their dinner table they must hate them speaks more to their own self justification I think. I had a cat once, and I loved it, but it died and I grew up and at 13 years of age got a Honda mini bike and never thought of that cat again.

I don't hate cane toads either, but they are an Australian pest too and there is a certain sense of satisfaction going around the yard with a long handled shovel. For the longest time the boffins at the university believed the most humane way to 'euthanize' them was to catch them, put them in a plastic bag and then put them in your freezer beside the bread rolls and the frozen steak :rolleyes: Now they say that's actually cruel. So much for studies.

If you do decide on the shovel method put a white solar light in the middle of the yard, it attracts the moths and the toads that feed on them. Also be precise where the back curve of the shovel comes down on them, too far forward and the bits that splatter out will get you on the feet. Don't bother trying to collect them after a hit, I know it's tempting to glory over the kill but the others will hop away. Just one massive hit, don't hold back, and then quickly onto the next toad. Take the bigger ones first as they can hop further than the little ones. There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealings done. If you're in on a bush block light a fire, that will attract them and then all you need is a rake.

On a warm summer's evening
On a footpath back of nowhere
I met up a the toader
We were both too tired to sleep

So we took turns a bashing
At the toads beneath the streetlight
Till the boredom overtook us
And he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of bashin these toads brains out
Knowin' where they'd hop to
By the way they held their eyes

So if you don't mind my sayin'
I can see you're out of practice
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And as the toads looked up in wonder
He Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right

Know how to chase em
And know when to run
When the dealin's done

Every toader knows
That the secret to the tally'
Is knowin' that they'll hop away
And that you gotta act real quick
'Cause every hits a winner
And every hits a loser
And the best that you can hope for
Is to cull the mongrels back"

And when he'd finished speakin'
He handed me his shovel
Flicked away his cigarette
Went off to get some sleep
And out there in the darkness
Those toads got bloody nervous
Cause in his final words
I'd found the aces I could keep

Know how to chase em
And know when to run
When the dealin's done.

View attachment 1680196
Sounds like a good job for a decent pellet gun with a night optic.....

When they turn feral and that’s only after some azzhole let them breed and then abandoned them where they continue to breed and like any other animal, they have to eat. Too bad too, domesticated house cats can be nice to have around…in moderation. I saw a bumper sticker years go that said; PETS, THE HUMAN FOLLY.

Far too many pet owners don’t realize and accept their responsibility. Some, don’t think they (have) any responsibility.
100% agree with this...

People get pets and then lose interest and either dump them on the side of the road or in the case of a cat, let them out to prowl the streets....I've told a couple neighbors who used to do this that this cat is now the property of the neighborhood and it is no longer their cat...

I know I see signs at the community mail box for lost cats all the time......we have lots of foxes and coyotes around here.

I was surprised at how many feral cats and dogs are around in a war zone....when people are fleeing their pets are long forgotten....

What I don't get are the people who own snakes, spiders and other nasties.......about 4 yrs ago in the news there was an article where a large python escaped it's cage in an apartment and found it's way to the apartment downstairs and killed a kid who was on a sleepover.......and the owner was trying to fight the snake being euthanized......the parents of the dead kid should have been able to beat the owner with a stick.

Over on the queer thread much is discussed about what but not why, one of the reasons why I believe is a weakening of the minds of the children by all the cotton wool they are wrapped in today. They have no sense or access of the real world so they go off into the madness of the virtual one. A doctor dealing with ADD in kids recommends parks, the parents have to take the kid to a local park and just let them run around for a few hours every other day. It works, the kids no longer have ADD. But it produces no profit for the pharmaceutical industry which controls the medical profession now so it's not widely known. Taking kids out and letting them shoot and kill certain animals teaches them the value of life and the responsibility inherent in firearms in a way that you could not get by any other means I believe.

There are many ways to kill a cane toad but doing it up close personal, with a rudimentary skill, is very good for the psyche I think. It keeps that manly part of you strong and resolute. Something my neighbor, who recently got the $hit beat out of him by the 22yo son of his latest wife would have no concept of. These men are weak bastards and get what they deserve imo. I also have a lot of green tree frogs here and they can cause a mess on the windows and they defecate profusely when feeding but I have never once considered killing one. I go out of my way in fact to move them to safer places in the yard. In my mind I'm as responsible for their welfare as I am for the eradication of the invasive pests.

As for dogs and cats as pets, well 40 years ago their handling was a lot different, especially dogs! What I see today is just a self-indulgent culture that grew out of excessive media influence. People like to think they are unique but much of their lives are just a reflection of some TV series or fad that's going around. Women, and now men letting them up onto the end of the bed with them. Soon they'll be up on the pillow beside them, it's the natural progression of things. A lot of people don't even question this. They don't question anything, they just go where they are nudged. A lot has changed in 40 years...

DOG WORSHIP-1-s.jpg

Back