Carpenter street kits

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
I was just talking to Bob this morning and we got on the subject of his progressive increasses that he's done for the street built busa.

I was just floored by some of the information he had passed along to me. Now some may say his numbers are inflated and maybe they are but if so it's not by much. He's reworked the busa head again and is now been using an even newer port design.

How does 220hp from a stock bore/stroke Gen2 with just a head, cam, and springs combo for 3k sound. What about 235hp from a 1441 combo for only 4.1k! :bowdown:

I've had more than twice that kind of money in my Gen1 engine to achieve those kinds of hp results years ago.

I was just talking to Bob this morning and we got on the subject of his progressive increases that he's done for the street built busa.

I was just floored by some of the information he had passed along to me. Now some may say his numbers are inflated and maybe they are but if so it's not by much. He's reworked the busa head again and is now been using an even newer port design.

How does 220hp from a stock bore/stroke Gen2 with just a head, cam, and springs combo for 3k sound. What about 235hp from a 1441 combo for only 4.1k! :bowdown:

I've had more than twice that kind of money in my Gen1 engine to achieve those kinds of hp results years ago. :banghead:

I gotta say you guys with the Gen2 engines make me jealous. :bowdown: You're starting point for hp upgrades is much higher than the Gen1 and with 10 years of busa engine mod experience/history the achievable hp/ft-lbs levels are incredibly inexpensive these days.

On a different note, Bob also gave me the news that my Gen1 engine could easily make another 10hp by just swapping to his newer head design. ::11
He also has a better crank design than mine too. :banghead: it's 10lbs lighter ::11

At the end of this season I might contemplate selling my whole engine outright to start fresh with a Gen2 engine.

Also keep a look out, you may see more engines with the same shaftless TB's as mine before the end of this season. :whistle::laugh:

Cool. Thanks for the info. Keep hearing good things about carpenter.
Posted via Mobile Device

yep truly amazing what they are doing on gen2's. Come on Commuta you know you want a new bike :) I really have been happy with my 08, only have 1K miles on it, but very nice bike. PetriKs personal 1441 has been through a LOT of testing, and I think he has made 242 with traditional exhaust, and 245 with sidewinder, with lots of velocity stack, exhaust length, tuning etc. I forget what he said his bike stock on that dyno was, but mentioned 60 something hp increase over stock.

Last edited:
It's a tough call for me to drop all the progress with the Gen1 and buy a Gen2 to play with. I keep hearing about intake and exhaust manifold changes can net some great hidden results. It's not as simple as just slapping on oversized stuff though. I'm just amazed how Petri even finds the time to do everything he does.

You turbo guys need to step it up. :poke: I wanna see 5# systems making 300hp and wider power bands. :beerchug:

yep truly amazing what they are doing on gen2's. Come on Commuta you know you want a new bike :) I really have been happy with my 08, only have 1K miles on it, but very nice bike. PetriKs personal 1441 has been through a LOT of testing, and I think he has made 242 with traditional exhaust, and 245 with sidewinder, with lots of velocity stack, exhaust length, tuning etc. I forget what he said his bike stock on that dyno was, but mentioned 60 something hp increase over stock.

5 psi and 300 hp, no problem, just need a lot more engine :thumbsup:

Don't have to give up your gen 1, just add a gen 2 :cheerleader:

Bob's one of the elite when it comes to makin Busa power. He's been at it a long time, knows what works and why. Carpenter turns out some serious engines.
thumbup.gif

Those sound like some pretty good numbers to me. Wish I could get one of his packages in my bike! :thumbsup:

Carpenter just re-did my 1441 and as expected, delivered some serious HP gains. with less then ideal cams, and a sticky race tire, he was able to pull 228 HP out of my combo. The guy deserve his reputation, its been earned over 30 years of sweat and hard work..

Last edited:
Some impressive numbers there. Are these kits he offers mostly for 1/4 mile and LSR type applications. Or can you get one and actually enjoy it with out problems on a daily basis?

Some impressive numbers there. Are these kits he offers mostly for 1/4 mile and LSR type applications. Or can you get one and actually enjoy it with out problems on a daily basis?

Reliabiliy is going to be fine depending on the setup you want. If you aren't going to be primarly racing they can change the setup to give you more mid range if you want vs top end. It's all in the setup that any well know builder/tuner will be able to do. Carpenter has built more of these motors than you can imagine. As long as you don't take it to someone who has built 2 or 3, you will be fine... :beerchug:

I can only say, refer to the dyno sheet below. On the street, its sick fast..

Attachments

• 1441 Redo Carpenter Improvements.PDF
    50.9 KB · Views: 318
If you have Bob build a street engine it'll run all day on the street. He knows engines inside and out. Hell, I consult with him even about the dreaded oil subject. :laugh: He builds no nonesense engines. If he says you don't need this or that then you don't need it. If he says you need something then you better get it. He's upfront and honest. He doesn't push any sales and makes no excuses.

Bob does excellent work we have tuned several of his motors here. There is a 15-17 HP difference between his dyno and ours based on known data but dyno numbers are just that numbers. How it runs at the track is all that really matters.

Who will be the Bob Carpenter 30 years from now, hopefully someone on their 16th. motor. Ride safe everyone.

Last edited:
had a carpenter head on my Gen1.owner before me had work done. dynoed at 197rwhp,also had small air box mod and pair valve romoved...197 was pretty good,esp before the spray:whistle:

had a carpenter head on my Gen1.owner before me had work done. dynoed at 197rwhp,also had small air box mod and pair valve romoved...197 was pretty good,esp before the spray:whistle:
197 HP with just a head cam package and this is a 155-160HP Gen I to start with.... WOW...

Back