Career Changers -

Spent nearly 25 years building boats, until the recession hit in 08. Layed off, declined relocation. Rode out severance and got into biogas conditioning, that lasted 6 years until the mental midget running the co. ran it right into the ground. Two years in the wilderness (2D) didn't work out, so now I'm back to 3D CAD design work. Just trying to keep myself employable into my sunset years now. Improvise, overcome, adapt!
Is that CAD-CAM or REVIT?

I've been in the IT field for 20 years now, fell in to it quite by accident after I graduated from college with a business degree. I've learned a lot, but in local gov't, it's all "baptism by fire", hurry up, make this person or dept happy, move on to the next fire. That offers up challenges that keep the job interesting, but changes in recent years have put me in a really odd place, one deep on supporting every software system we have, every flavor of SQL Server from long deprecated to bleeding edge. I'm tasked with dissecting contracts now, budget, fighting vendors, demo after demo when new software is wanted, then never invited to the table to steer solid decisions.

Not really sure how to describe it anymore other than 52-pickup...our IT shop is imploding from the inside, from the top down. But 20 years in, chaos is as I know, and 20 years in, I'm not sure how relevant those skills translate to other jobs. I'm not alone; several of us realize we don't know what it is we do, no time or budget for training, it's all just chaos.

It's hard to see that reality 20 years later. My resume would say "awesome at herding chaos" but I'm not sure that's a skill :confused:

I think you have it exactly backwards! Herding chaos is a skill absolutely everyone is looking for and if you can't do it you basically can't manage anything anymore. Maybe hard to sell because there are so many posers out there that employers are very suspicious about resumes. The best place for you (IMHO) is as a consultant. Run your own business and people will hire you. I bet even your current employer would hire you! The way you describe yourself is perfect for so many problems businesses have everyday. That way you have the option to control how much you work, who you work with, even how big your business gets. Another opportunity out there is an after school program teaching kids computer skills like programming. My wife teaches STEM and there is a section on programming and the kids go wild on it! Parents would pay for this and it's very low stress.

Just a thought. But don't let this get you down. I think a lot of people sacrifice the 40-65 years thinking they'll live when they're retired. Then stuff happens and they're all spent when 65 rolls around (like me!). Get a good financial planner and figure out how to make it work so you can enjoy life now and when you retire.

Vabs,

I do exactly what you do. My tech job title is Senior Enterprise Applications Administrator. I literally do exactly what you do. Its an odd market for sure. Slowly but surely IT is being over run by stupid bean counters who have 0 clue about IT or the business that is IT. Soon the career will be as bad as any other out there. Watered down money .

I've been in the IT field for 20 years now, fell in to it quite by accident after I graduated from college with a business degree. I've learned a lot, but in local gov't, it's all "baptism by fire", hurry up, make this person or dept happy, move on to the next fire. That offers up challenges that keep the job interesting, but changes in recent years have put me in a really odd place, one deep on supporting every software system we have, every flavor of SQL Server from long deprecated to bleeding edge. I'm tasked with dissecting contracts now, budget, fighting vendors, demo after demo when new software is wanted, then never invited to the table to steer solid decisions.

Not really sure how to describe it anymore other than 52-pickup...our IT shop is imploding from the inside, from the top down. But 20 years in, chaos is as I know, and 20 years in, I'm not sure how relevant those skills translate to other jobs. I'm not alone; several of us realize we don't know what it is we do, no time or budget for training, it's all just chaos.

It's hard to see that reality 20 years later. My resume would say "awesome at herding chaos" but I'm not sure that's a skill :confused:
I’m with fallenarch on this, leading chaos is a valuable skill. I feel like you sometimes when it comes to my knowledge because there is not very many places that do what we do, so I sometimes wonder what’s the value of it “out there”. I recently jumped to “the dark side” and went on the management side and and it can be really stressful and is and extremely fast pace environment (we also run 24/7), but I felt that it was a good move and I’ll have something to add to my resume. I can understand your concern after 20 years in that field and now considering making a move, but change sometimes is a good thing and there is nothing like doing something you enjoy. It makes it really hard to wake up and go to work when you hate/are tired of your job.

We have an IT department of over 500. Bean counters don't run the show here because they k.ow how valuable IT is and how it can reduce costs. Well run IT shops are out therefore I get to manage one.

I stayed in the same trade, but moved. I know you guys just built a house and have a lot going on, but sometimes you have to relocate. View attachment 1577642

:D:D:D

At 2:15 a.m. on December 16, 1811, residents of the frontier town of New Madrid, in what is now Missouri, were jolted from their beds by a violent earthquake. The ground heaved and pitched, hurling furniture, snapping trees and destroying barns and homesteads. The shaking rang church bells in Charleston, South Carolina, and toppled chimneys as far as Cincinnati, Ohio.

All those who could not hang on, accidentally fell into California. :moon::moon::moon:

:D:D:D

At 2:15 a.m. on December 16, 1811, residents of the frontier town of New Madrid, in what is now Missouri, were jolted from their beds by a violent earthquake. The ground heaved and pitched, hurling furniture, snapping trees and destroying barns and homesteads. The shaking rang church bells in Charleston, South Carolina, and toppled chimneys as far as Cincinnati, Ohio.

All those who could not hang on, accidentally fell into California. :moon::moon::moon:

Hmm, I resemble that remark. :beerchug:

@fallenarch I hadn't thought of any of it in that way, so I really appreciate your take on this. I accept every crazy thing that comes at me.

It's afforded me to get involved with projects I'd never imagined, so I love that part, but there are far too many times when I'm wondering why, why am I doing this?

I don't feel marketable, as in can't list the 5-10 things I'm incredibly efficient at. It's more like 1000 things I know just enough about to be the one responsible for it...and that list just keeps growing.

Vabs,

I do exactly what you do. My tech job title is Senior Enterprise Applications Administrator. I literally do exactly what you do. Its an odd market for sure. Slowly but surely IT is being over run by stupid bean counters who have 0 clue about IT or the business that is IT. Soon the career will be as bad as any other out there. Watered down money .

Omar's in the field too...we both see a trend, people at the top, lots of bad decisions, always asking us why those decisions were made, jump here, do this, jump there, do that, make people happy no matter what. No logic, just chaos...it's impossible to feel good about your work when you work in an environment of crazy....

Omar's in the field too...we both see a trend, people at the top, lots of bad decisions, always asking us why those decisions were made, jump here, do this, jump there, do that, make people happy no matter what. No logic, just chaos...it's impossible to feel good about your work when you work in an environment of crazy....

Yes i too see this. Then when what they chose doesnt work properly they want to blame you. The very reason i save every email and back up every correspondence.

@VIPER I do the same...I am the queen of documentation (digital, not paper - we had a guy here that PRINTED everything and OMG, that was a nightmare to watch and be a victim of when he'd hand you a pile of stuff he could email)

Anyway, I hear from so many now that fled the IT field because it was so chaotic. They finally hit the melting point and had to get out. I think that's where I am. I see higher ups doing less, getting the pay, filtering their work down, when those of us already so overloaded we can't form sentences anymore are already overwhelmed with the workload, then here comes 10 more things, and 10 more, 10 more. I've never been the person responsible for the contracts, or billing, budget, but it's all slowly sliding my way. Nothing of mine is going away. I'm one person doing the work of 3 with zero focus. TOTAL burn out.

But, the flip side - a steady job and a paycheck. But, serious questions about the self-fulfillment side of life at my age I think. I am starting to look back, and ahead and wondering if this is all there will be.......probably...

@VIPER I do the same...I am the queen of documentation (digital, not paper - we had a guy here that PRINTED everything and OMG, that was a nightmare to watch and be a victim of when he'd hand you a pile of stuff he could email)

Anyway, I hear from so many now that fled the IT field because it was so chaotic. They finally hit the melting point and had to get out. I think that's where I am. I see higher ups doing less, getting the pay, filtering their work down, when those of us already so overloaded we can't form sentences anymore are already overwhelmed with the workload, then here comes 10 more things, and 10 more, 10 more. I've never been the person responsible for the contracts, or billing, budget, but it's all slowly sliding my way. Nothing of mine is going away. I'm one person doing the work of 3 with zero focus. TOTAL burn out.

But, the flip side - a steady job and a paycheck. But, serious questions about the self-fulfillment side of life at my age I think. I am starting to look back, and ahead and wondering if this is all there will be.......probably...

@VaBusa ,

Sounds like you need a good long vaca with some time to clear the ol noggin. For sur eno rash moves. The economy is so pooy actually. IT as you know is pretty wishy washy. I see the same as u though. As i had stated bean counters running departments they have no clue about. Then as they have no clue they keep writing checks they can not cash. Then they drop the load on the workers to make it work and poop all over use when we tell them it is not possible. My advice. Stay off the radar as best ya can. Keep logs of daily work and have a personal back up of everything correspondance wise on thumb. I fee you pain in not feeling appreciated, and also being over worked.

@VaBusa ,

Sounds like you need a good long vaca with some time to clear the ol noggin. For sur eno rash moves. The economy is so pooy actually. IT as you know is pretty wishy washy. I see the same as u though. As i had stated bean counters running departments they have no clue about. Then as they have no clue they keep writing checks they can not cash. Then they drop the load on the workers to make it work and poop all over use when we tell them it is not possible. My advice. Stay off the radar as best ya can. Keep logs of daily work and have a personal back up of everything correspondance wise on thumb. I fee you pain in not feeling appreciated, and also being over worked.

Oh I know I need a vacay...tried taking off Thanksgiving week and 3 major problems came up. I was getting calls and texts, emails...I never got the break I needed at all. I don't get paid enough for this level of support.

We have too many bean counters lately, and more old-timers (like me) jumping ship. I've never seen it so bad here.

I hope things get better, for both of us LOL

Oh I know I need a vacay...tried taking off Thanksgiving week and 3 major problems came up. I was getting calls and texts, emails...I never got the break I needed at all. I don't get paid enough for this level of support.

We have too many bean counters lately, and more old-timers (like me) jumping ship. I've never seen it so bad here.

I hope things get better, for both of us LOL

Fake sick. Sometimes I just tell my people here I have the flu or something and disappear for a couple days (no phone). They some how manage to make it without me.........

Agreed. Need to shut "phone off". I do it 2 weeks out of the year. Gone no phone no contact i dont work for you this week. Only way to remain sane.

Oddly enough, I used to be that person, disconnected very successfully and got downtime.

Something has changed in management and there are decisions going on, like someone looking up my personal cell to call me when I'm off, and then I'm on the hook for whatever they deem "an emergency". It's like I've been pushed in to the realm of what my two former bosses did because they were paid for those extra duties, only now I'm just doing them because it's expected, no extra pay.

It's a really tough spot to be in, but I'm working on some sort of a plan...got to, for my sanity.

Oddly enough, I used to be that person, disconnected very successfully and got downtime.

Something has changed in management and there are decisions going on, like someone looking up my personal cell to call me when I'm off, and then I'm on the hook for whatever they deem "an emergency". It's like I've been pushed in to the realm of what my two former bosses did because they were paid for those extra duties, only now I'm just doing them because it's expected, no extra pay.

It's a really tough spot to be in, but I'm working on some sort of a plan...got to, for my sanity.

Ug ... step 1 new cell number. Do not give to company. I have a personal cell which i do not give to work ever. Then i have a work cell provided by company. When i am on PTO the work cell is off. Im on PTO leave me the hell alone. Your company has to do the same. When you on own time buzz off.

Ug ... step 1 new cell number. Do not give to company. I have a personal cell which i do not give to work ever. Then i have a work cell provided by company. When i am on PTO the work cell is off. Im on PTO leave me the hell alone. Your company has to do the same. When you on own time buzz off.

Oh, how I wish! There's a catch-22 on this one - work decided to make it a required part of our jobs to be involved in the EOC for local emergencies, and we're required to provide emergency contact info should we be called up, for citizen support. So, they have my number for that reason. Thing is, it's NEVER been abused, ever, until recently, and the abuse came from human resources. It's crazy, the way things have changed in the 20 years I've been here, management, expectations of more with less. And I can't opt out of the EOC stuff; it's part of the job or there are consequences/potential termination.

Pretty sure the writing is on the wall.........

Back