Career Changers -

Work has always been hard, it’s easier today than times past, I got by , by sniffing glue and huffing paint(try the gold).

They have us on 3 month rotations, but since it's all still being "figured out" I've somehow ended up being on call for 9 months now. They keep moving me around in the command structure. I'm also IT so it's expected that I'll be "in the room" to help users log in. I've already told higher-ups the point of failure is "logging in", too much hand-holding is expected. Let's get 40 people in a room and they all need help logging in........in the real world, we all have to remember passwords and pins for every day life, this is no different to me, but it seems that's not the expectation. Let's just have someone in the room helping people, yep.....log in. It would be like the bank having staff at the ATM, helping each person figure out their pin every time they want money :laugh:

I got in to this field for the work in IT, not FEMA classes and emergency management...it's pretty chaotic.
9mo the! That’s terrible! We all might have to start donating concert tickets just to get you by.:banghead:

9mo the! That’s terrible! We all might have to start donating concert tickets just to get you by.:banghead:

I vote for this! I think I just saw my last show for the year.......bought tix for next year already, but it's one of the most expensive "hobbies" to keep up with, perhaps more than the Busa :crazy:

I was in Classified Comm support for my first career. Peace broke out all over and I went to the Space Shuttle program. I was getting pretty burned out of bouncing all over the world by suitcase. So I thought the Shuttle Program would be awesome. It was very boring to me. Left that and started my own company. Sold that and retired young. Divorce ended that. Got a scholarship to med school. Made it thru 2 years and realized I was in over my head. Left that. Was not loving a bad economy and no good jobs. Finally took. COI position in Dallas in a Waste to Energy Company. Finally having fun again. 4 different paths. Better than being in a job I hate and just have to bring thru for years.

They weren't all easy or wonderful transistions. But it is worth doing instead of dying in a job you hate

Where are you at in Dallas. I'm in the FRISCO area

I'm about to leave on vacation so we can chat on my return if you like. I have a facility south of Arlington down in Johnson County. 5 miles away from po dunk place called Venus.

If all plans go well, will have our 2nd site in Hutchins by summer next year.

I'm still deciding where I'm going to buy a place yet.

I'm about to leave on vacation so we can chat on my return if you like. I have a facility south of Arlington down in Johnson County. 5 miles away from po dunk place called Venus.

If all plans go well, will have our 2nd site in Hutchins by summer next year.

I'm still deciding where I'm going to buy a place yet.

Sounds good. I work right off of of 20 and 360

Hey Vabs. Sorry to hear you are dealing with this crap. I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's with a pension. A lot has changed in the last 2 decades. The constant need for spoon feeding you spoke of is sadly a huge part of society these days. It's sad. I pity a lot of professions that will suffer from the "wussification" of a entire generation. When we retire, who is going to hold their hands?
I'd think that IT would be the place to be and you'd have a plethora of options for employment. I get that technology always changing and training may need updating but I'm sure your resume speaks for itself!

Hey Vabs .

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this crap .

I'm finally seeing the light
at the end of the tunnel,
but it's with a pension .

A lot has changed in the last 2 decades .

The constant need for spoon feeding
you spoke of is sadly a huge
part of society these days .

It's sad .

I pity a lot of professions that will suffer
from the "wussification" of a entire generation .

When we retire,
who is going to hold their hands ?

I'd think that IT would be the place to be
and you'd have a plethora of options for employment .

I get that technology always changing
and training may need updating
but I'm sure your resume speaks for itself !

I feel your pain. I'm on sabbatical right now. Best thing for me, really. But I've been in the finance and accounting industry for 30+years now and I'm ready to move to something else.

Problem is, I don't know what I want to do when I grow up. That's the real pisser of it all. I just can't decide what to do next.

You'll figure it out, though. So will I. I'm thinking that at some point, I'll have a moment of serendipity and I'll figure it all out.

--Wag--

I feel your pain .

I'm on sabbatical right now .

Best thing for me, really .

But I've been in the finance and accounting industry
for 30+years now and I'm ready to move to something else .

Problem is, I don't know what I want to do when I grow up .

That's the real pisser of it all .

I just can't decide what to do next .

You'll figure it out, though .

So will I .

I'm thinking that at some point,
I'll have a moment of serendipity
and I'll figure it all out .

- - Wag - -

Back