Career Changers -

Oh, how I wish! There's a catch-22 on this one - work decided to make it a required part of our jobs to be involved in the EOC for local emergencies, and we're required to provide emergency contact info should we be called up, for citizen support. So, they have my number for that reason. Thing is, it's NEVER been abused, ever, until recently, and the abuse came from human resources. It's crazy, the way things have changed in the 20 years I've been here, management, expectations of more with less. And I can't opt out of the EOC stuff; it's part of the job or there are consequences/potential termination.

Pretty sure the writing is on the wall.........

Yep when you are at this point, its time to make the move away from it. Perhaps you could find another position within the company?

Yep when you are at this point, its time to make the move away from it. Perhaps you could find another position within the company?

Oh no, can't imagine I'd stay...it's this bad in every department. People are leaving often lately...

It's a tough spot to be in to wake up every morning dreading the work portion of your day. And it isn't the same for me as it is for you or the next one. We all have to weigh the choices. Companies LOVE that they have employees that have mortgages, car payments, kids, etc. Makes it harder for them to leave and take risk.

Hence they can keep squeezing you.

It's a tough spot to be in to wake up every morning dreading the work portion of your day. And it isn't the same for me as it is for you or the next one. We all have to weigh the choices. Companies LOVE that they have employees that have mortgages, car payments, kids, etc. Makes it harder for them to leave and take risk.

Makes you imagine the life of selling everything you have, then hiking for months on end to truly experience life, come out on the other side seeing it all through a new set of eyes...

........or is that just me? ;)

Or you could skip that part and envision this. Having that job and paycheck vs. not. That in between part you mentioned is nice but in the end it will still be those 2 options.

Or you could skip that part and envision this. Having that job and paycheck vs. not. That in between part you mentioned is nice but in the end it will still be those 2 options.

I hate the adult in you TallTom...stop being so rational :laugh:

I was burned out at 47, and I'm 61 now...still doing the same job. So much to weigh; income level, having to retrain, "comfort zone". I've concentrated on my passions and interests away from work and the years have melted away :)

I was burned out at 47, and I'm 61 now...still doing the same job. So much to weigh; income level, having to retrain, "comfort zone". I've concentrated on my passions and interests away from work and the years have melted away :)

I'm 47...so are you saying this is plan A or B? :p

Oh, how I wish! There's a catch-22 on this one - work decided to make it a required part of our jobs to be involved in the EOC for local emergencies, and we're required to provide emergency contact info should we be called up, for citizen support. So, they have my number for that reason. Thing is, it's NEVER been abused, ever, until recently, and the abuse came from human resources. It's crazy, the way things have changed in the 20 years I've been here, management, expectations of more with less. And I can't opt out of the EOC stuff; it's part of the job or there are consequences/potential termination.

Pretty sure the writing is on the wall.........
Vabs, can’t they put some rotation in place? We run 24/7, but every week they publish a list of on call people for that week that m so the rest can go on with their lives without having to worry about potentially being called at 2am. Or do you guys not have enough people to put to do this? Not like it matters at this point since it sounds like you’ve reached your breaking point and are ready for something new.

This is very true, as a manager I love it when my employees buy expensive toys or new homes, means they will be working overtime and I can cover my outages. Our OT system is voluntary and I need them to answer the phone and report for work. LOL

Vabs, can’t they put some rotation in place? We run 24/7, but every week they publish a list of on call people for that week that m so the rest can go on with their lives without having to worry about potentially being called at 2am. Or do you guys not have enough people to put to do this? Not like it matters at this point since it sounds like you’ve reached your breaking point and are ready for something new.

They have us on 3 month rotations, but since it's all still being "figured out" I've somehow ended up being on call for 9 months now. They keep moving me around in the command structure. I'm also IT so it's expected that I'll be "in the room" to help users log in. I've already told higher-ups the point of failure is "logging in", too much hand-holding is expected. Let's get 40 people in a room and they all need help logging in........in the real world, we all have to remember passwords and pins for every day life, this is no different to me, but it seems that's not the expectation. Let's just have someone in the room helping people, yep.....log in. It would be like the bank having staff at the ATM, helping each person figure out their pin every time they want money :laugh:

I got in to this field for the work in IT, not FEMA classes and emergency management...it's pretty chaotic.

I'm 47...so are you saying this is plan A or B? :p

Lol I suppose it would depend on how patient one is. I have no patience for minor issues in my day but with life decisions I'm patient to a fault. Read between those lines!

I feel you pain @VaBusa

That being said in this day honestly, there is no protection for exempts. Expect the pain. This new corp world will work you till you break. Then discard you.

Let's get 40 people in a room and they all need help logging in........in the real world, we all have to remember passwords and pins for every day life, this is no different to me, but it seems that's not the expectation. Let's just have someone in the room helping people, yep.....log in. It would be like the bank having staff at the ATM, helping each person figure out their pin every time they want money :laugh:

I got in to this field for the work in IT, not FEMA classes and emergency management...it's pretty chaotic.

Don't ask Captain how many of us need our passwords reset weekly. Not going to improve your attitude me thinks...........

Seriously. You have to figure out your reset button. These are always selfish BTW, but you can't give to the family/friends/work unless you have it to give, right? Mine has been the Hayabusa for years. A long, lonely weekend ride does the trick for me. Just the road, some good music, and my thoughts. It's almost like a great sleep, I get home fresh, positive and stronger. I didn't realize how much it means until winter when I ride less and the attitude suffers. Something that clears your mind and resets your pain threshold. For Maria (my wife) it's a day at the Spa.

On the other hand, your mind may be saying I'm done with this and if that's the case you better listen to it. Could be change is the only remedy. But sometimes just looking for another opportunity can help. It somehow makes me feel less trapped to know there are options and it can "talk you down off the ledge". I have developed a rule over many job changes: Never leave a job to get away from something, leave it to go to something. So start searching for that "something". The search alone will make you feel better and you may find you can get what you want right where you are. Never underestimate the value of a good reputation and established working relationships.

Change is hard! Hope you get things worked out soon.

Spent 30 years of my life as a carpenter, rough framing residential homes . Was a rough job, very labor intensive, if you weren't running someone was yelling at you. Luckily most of those years I was the foreman on the crew. After the housing market busted several years back I spent several years "off grid" so to say just doing remodel side jobs for cash .Then I decided I better get a job with medical benefits ( getting older) and realized that construction wages had lost about 6-8 $ per hour, too much of a drop for a body this old. Plus its getting to where you really need to speak Spanish in the trades nowadays, and I know I can't do that. Well ended up as a Corrections Officer , pay is not great but OK, benefits are really good, and compared to construction work, I feel as though I am stealing money at this job. Plus it will net me a nice retirement .
u work at a max? what state?

Don't ask Captain how many of us need our passwords reset weekly. Not going to improve your attitude me thinks...........

Seriously. You have to figure out your reset button. These are always selfish BTW, but you can't give to the family/friends/work unless you have it to give, right? Mine has been the Hayabusa for years. A long, lonely weekend ride does the trick for me. Just the road, some good music, and my thoughts. It's almost like a great sleep, I get home fresh, positive and stronger. I didn't realize how much it means until winter when I ride less and the attitude suffers. Something that clears your mind and resets your pain threshold. For Maria (my wife) it's a day at the Spa.

On the other hand, your mind may be saying I'm done with this and if that's the case you better listen to it. Could be change is the only remedy. But sometimes just looking for another opportunity can help. It somehow makes me feel less trapped to know there are options and it can "talk you down off the ledge". I have developed a rule over many job changes: Never leave a job to get away from something, leave it to go to something. So start searching for that "something". The search alone will make you feel better and you may find you can get what you want right where you are. Never underestimate the value of a good reputation and established working relationships.

Change is hard! Hope you get things worked out soon.

My escape is music/concerts...I know how to escape and do as often as possible, but yeah, that ledge is looming closer and closer. I was more curious about who's made a major change so many years in and been happy about it. Truly didn't mean to make it about me complaining. All of the complaining doesn't change where I am; I just need to move forward OR find a way to get to more concerts to cope :super:

Really do appreciate the insight though fallenarch :)

Always good to be able to air a little exasperations. Though i would caution the extent. Employers can be very finicky.

Here is what may help you. The economy seems to be mending well and the unemployment rate is getting low. Which means employers are under pressure to retain employees more now or risk them finding a new job. Maybe you can simply tough it out and in 6 months the tables will turn for you? I'm postulating not promising....:-)

Back