Career Changers -

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/what-is-your-profession.195757/

43818227_570982480010237_2838655560522038229_n.jpg

My fellow Hayabusa brother & friend @c10 Bryan started a thread & it got me to thinking . . .

As a kid riding motorcycles we needed to pay for fuel & parts , including tires !

Smoked fish & made tofu with Mr. Anderson to afford a bike license .

Flagged motocross & handed out trophies in Corona , CA.

As an adult I had started building RV furniture .

Then JSC roll bars & sand rail chassis .

To National RV manufacturing .

Finally www.emwd.oRg .

& #emwdRetiRed *

Red, *<(;{)-

:thumbsup:

Reactions: c10
I've been in the IT field for 20 years now, fell in to it quite by accident after I graduated from college with a business degree. I've learned a lot, but in local gov't, it's all "baptism by fire", hurry up, make this person or dept happy, move on to the next fire. That offers up challenges that keep the job interesting, but changes in recent years have put me in a really odd place, one deep on supporting every software system we have, every flavor of SQL Server from long deprecated to bleeding edge. I'm tasked with dissecting contracts now, budget, fighting vendors, demo after demo when new software is wanted, then never invited to the table to steer solid decisions.

Not really sure how to describe it anymore other than 52-pickup...our IT shop is imploding from the inside, from the top down. But 20 years in, chaos is as I know, and 20 years in, I'm not sure how relevant those skills translate to other jobs. I'm not alone; several of us realize we don't know what it is we do, no time or budget for training, it's all just chaos.

It's hard to see that reality 20 years later. My resume would say "awesome at herding chaos" but I'm not sure that's a skill :confused:
Its one of the BEST skills Vabs :)

Vabs....I feel your pain....this is exactly WHY I started my company. This way I get to choose what and who I represent. Starting a business isn't for everyone we all know that, but there are a great very many perks. How about keeping the skills and looking for a better venue? I have rebuilt myself so many times it's scary, but, I always move forward with every evolution and I always come out on top no matter the sacrifice. Sometimes you even find yourself going backwards to move forwards if that makes sense...I left a 48k job once for a 22k job. Wife thought I was nuts, what did I say to her? Give me 1 year and I will exceed my current pay, and I did that in exactly 11 months and 24 days. Get creative, take a risk, bet on you, find another angle but keep going. If I had to lay bet money on someone Id bet on you kiddo, youre a winner...

You ever sort this out @VaBusa ?

OMG I'm so far behind...I'm managing multiple software installs and upgrades simultaneously, alone. It's insane.

But J, thanks for asking......lots of changes going on, short version - still in the same place, working more than ever, made a supervisor, and expected to be in multiple places at once. I keep begging for a clone of myself...

I'm rarely keeping up with life...looking for a vacation opportunity. Essentially, they've kept me a bit longer with more $$ but I don't know how long I can go at this pace.

I need to go back and read everyone's comments here; been a while. I only hopped on the oRg to help someone with a password reset, sadly :(

Back