California Bikes?

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
What is the difference between California bikes and others? California bikes are set up to meet stricter emmision standards, right?

So what does that mean? How does that affect performance? How easy or expensive is it to get rid of the special set-up?

They usual have about 2 lbs of emissions junk on them. You can get it removed for "race use"

Its basically a canister that captures fuel vapors from the gas tank and then reroutes the "clean air" back to the airbox.

Shouldn't effect performance at all.

Emissions standards.

There's some extra equipment in or around the fuel tank (thus, CA bikes have slightly less fuel capacity), as well as a small charcoal (I think) canister underneath the rear fairing on the right side to deal with gas vapor.

I'm not sure about performance issues or issues regarding removing the equipment.

Sounds like no big deal.....a little extra weight and less fuel capacity. So if if I bought one from up here in OR, our shops would be able to easily remove it. Does that sound right?

Yeah, any decent shop can "lighten" a CA bike. If anyone is interested in knowing CA bikes can be exported to the other states without issue, but bringing in a NON-CA bike requires that it A.) has at least 7,500 miles on the odometer, OR B.) Can be "golden-rodded" if you are a member of the military.

Generally, bikes under 7,500 miles cannot be registered in CA.

Back