49 State Bike

brad

Registered
I'm in California.
Is there still such a thing a being able to purchase a 49 state bike? If so what is different about them.

Please advise those who know.

Thanks
Brad

the best i remember is that is a bike that does not meet california emissionsbut does meet federal emissions
so it would not have whatever calif requires for smog control.

Ca requires a stricter emission rule. From what I remember the non Ca spec bikes hold slightly more gas and usually have around 4 or 5 more hp? Correct me if wrong.

PS> When I move to Ca next month, I will be keeping my Fl registration on the busa so I don't have to worry about all of that

Ca. hope that Fl thing works out for ya.
all_coholic.gif

Yeah me too. As long as license and ins. are from Ca I should be able to do it without any real problems.

(brad @ Nov. 30 2006,16:27) I'm in California.
Is there still such a thing a being able to purchase a 49 state bike? If so what is different about them.

Please advise those who know.

Thanks
Brad
CA bikes are different...

CA                       Fed
5.0 fuel capacity vs 5.5
480 lb dry weight vs 478
the extra 2lbs is emissions crap
performance is the same

If you buy a new bike from out of state and wish to bring it to CA...it must have 7500 miles
on it to register it in the state of CA
sad.gif

Not sure if CA changed or not, but I lived there 94-96', and you had 60days to register your vehicles in CA or could get fined. Registration did require a smog check as well. If it is a non-CA model, it should only have to pass Smog for Non-CA model, since that is how it was originally manufactured and originally titled. I could be wrong though, I mean it has been a decade
smile.gif

(CAT3 @ Nov. 30 2006,17:41) Not sure if CA changed or not, but I lived there 94-96', and you had 60days to register your vehicles in CA or could get fined.  Registration did require a smog check as well.  If it is a non-CA model, it should only have to pass Smog for Non-CA model, since that is how it was originally manufactured and originally titled.  I could be wrong though, I mean it has been a decade
smile.gif
No smog check for motorcycles in CA...if you do buy a new one from out of state, it must have 7500 miles
on it before you register it here...and DMV will make you take it in to "Verify" it...all they do is check the
VIN and make sure what you are registering.

Pretty sure I will be ok with the milage. Sitting on 28,000 right now.
As long as I don't have to worry about changing crap then I won't mind registering. Or I might just change it to a track only bike and have some fun

If the 49 state bike has 7500 or more miles, you're good to go register.
If the bike is a 49 state bike with less than 7500miles. Don't tell the DMV until you get more than 7500miles. You can tell them you kept it a buddies house and just got it this month, even though you've been in Cali for a year. If you tell Cali you have a bike with less than 7500 miles, they will issue you a one time permit to ride it out of Cali and leave it out. No joke, that's what they told me.

If you don't want to wait until you have 7500. You could always borrow a buddy's busa's instrument cluster(that has over 7500miles), go to the DMV, then after the inspection swap out the cluster again.

Cali has no smog laws for motorcycles. New bikes(less than 7500miles) must have a CA model sticker.

If you can fake a residence in Florida they'd be hard pressed. But check with them to make absolutely sure.

Not that incredibly worried about it, just didn't want any extra hassles to deal with. I'm over the milage limit and will pass out of state smog so should be good. Thanks anyhow

(vincent @ Nov. 30 2006,20:12) Ca requires a stricter emission rule. From what I remember the non Ca spec bikes hold slightly more gas and usually have around 4 or 5 more hp? Correct me if wrong.

PS> When I move to Ca next month, I will be keeping my Fl registration on the busa so I don't have to worry about all of that
consider yourself corrected.
wink.gif

they weigh more hold less gas, go a little slower as a result and cost more.

crazy.gif

(BusaCruise @ Nov. 30 2006,20:42)
(vincent @ Nov. 30 2006,20:12) Ca requires a stricter emission rule.  From what I remember the non Ca spec bikes hold slightly more gas and usually have around 4 or 5 more hp?  Correct me if wrong.

consider yourself corrected.    
wink.gif

they weigh more hold less gas, go a little slower as a result and cost more.

crazy.gif
With full tanks, CA bikes weigh 1lb less and are NOT slower
wink.gif

wink.gif

Back