out of state info needed

hayadooin

"No really Hayadooin...."
Donating Member
Registered
I'm still looking for my busa. Would like to buy a 2004 black and purple. There seem to be quite a few 48 state bikes, but California models are scarce. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could bring one here. California DMV has some messed up rules re: emmisions.
I don't understand why but they say that a bike has to have 7500 miles on it before it can be brought here. I want to buy a bike with as few miles a possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mike

(hayadooin @ Apr. 07 2007,23:12) I'm still looking for my busa. Would like to buy a 2004 black and purple. There seem to be quite a few 48 state bikes, but California models are scarce. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could bring one here. California DMV has some messed up rules re: emmisions.
I don't understand why but they say that a bike has to have 7500 miles on it before it can be brought here. I want to buy a bike with as few miles a possible. Any help is appreciated.      Thanks,   Mike
They don't want you buying NEW out of state bikes that don't have CA emissions equipment on
them and bringing them into the state. There is no current smog check on CA bikes...this may change soon
sad.gif

To register a out of state bike it must have 7500 miles on it and you have to take it to DMV so they
can verify the mileage and VIN #.

Let me just second that. When I moved here one of my vehicles had 7400 or so miles. They told me I was not allowed to register it in California. I asked them how I was supposed to put 100 miles on it if it wasn't legal to drive? She said with a wink, "I'll bet you the DMV in <insert town name here> will register it for you. It turns out she was wrong, BUT that DMV was about 60 miles away so when I got back to town I was over 7500 miles. I walked in back at the original one and she called me right over, "I knew you'd be back, get that 7500 miles?"

I may have been lucky but in my experience they will work with ya.

Thanks for the input. If anyone in Cali. has a '04 Purple and Black for sale Please let me know..... Thanks Guys......

I have brought three motocycles into California from other states. It has to have the 7500 miles on it as everyone said. It also has to have the EPA sticker on it which says that it was manufactured to EPA guidelines. One one of my bikes, the sticker was under the gas tank, so I had to pull the tank in the parking lot of the DMV. The odometer has to have the 7500 miles. On older bikes, I have heard that you can disconnect the speedometer cable from the front wheel and hook a electric motor to the cable and spin it up to the right mileage (wink).

As was indicated, there is no smog check in CA, so once it is registered, you are good to go.

Dave

The last time I ckecked there were 50 States and Cali was only 1.
That would mean there are 49 States left, not 48.
wow.gif

Just borrow speedometer from someone. Make a picture of your current mileage for future resale purpose. Or not... put it in for one day and then replace it back. so you`ll have your mileage accurate.

I`d go and buy brand new Cali model, but that`s just me.

I believe he's referring to the "Continental US" AKA the "Lower 48" for his purchase options... He's got enough to worry about without including AK & HI...

Whatever you do - keep it as legit as possible. Those kind of alterations have a way of biting you on the butt somewhere down the road.

(LCB @ Apr. 09 2007,18:06) I believe he's referring to the "Continental US" AKA the "Lower 48" for his purchase options... He's got enough to worry about without including AK & HI...

Whatever you do - keep it as legit as possible. Those kind of alterations have a way of biting you on the butt somewhere down the road.
WOW, now I have the opportunity to be a pain again
firedevil.gif

Without AK and HI in the pic he would be inquiring about the other - are you ready for this???

47 States

poke.gif

I guess I was lucky then when I bought my 05' Ga. bike. Mine had way less than 7500 and I registared it here in Ca. Cost me plenty @$650 to do it, but she has my name on the title now.

Back