Bike Can't Be Registered! Need Help!!!

NewbieOnBusa

Registered
Ok, so i purchased the bike in may from a car dealer and didnt get any registration work till october. Something like suspense copy of registration showed up in mail from DMV. then today another mail popped in saying that vehicle cant be registered because it doesnt meet California Emission Standards and must be removed from state. Bike was purchased with 5900 miles and now it has 7000 and because in CA bike under 7500 is considered as a NEW vehicle. Called the bank and they said they got the same letter. Called the stealer and they said they have not recieved it yet. They have screwed me before by giving me a bike with almost fail front breaks the day i bought it and leaking fork seals.
So what do i do now. Do they buy it back? Anyone here knows anything in regards to this? Thanks forum in advance :bowdown:

And one more thing to add, the bike is from Connecticut. It was brought in from there to CA, where i guess someone had traded it in for something else at the dealership.

I called the DMV and they said, "Its a 49 state vehicle and cant be registered here in CA and it must be removed within 30 days from the date of notice (OCT 6) and now it is a Civil Matter! Its not legal to drive or operate this vehicle as it will be towed if get pulled over by police!"

Put the bike on the stand, start her up, switch into 6th gear, and let her run for 500 miles. Then, the bike is not considered new, right? And you can register.

It goes by date of sale. Not as of now. The day it was purchased it had 5900 miles on it. So DMV isnt going to registered it because when it was sold, it didnt meet the requirements.

It goes by date of sale. Not as of now. The day it was purchased it had 5900 miles on it. So DMV isnt going to registered it because when it was sold, it didnt meet the requirements.

So selling it and buying it back again with the correct mileage may work???

It doesnt matter OP lives in california and its going to be registered in california so it will have to meet CAs strict emissions which it will not... take it back to the dealer. get a complete refund. they knew when they sold it to you it wasnt registerable.

sounds like you should have the dealer buy it back or make it a cali legal model. gotta love the left coast sometimes :banghead: wonder if you can just get the parts from a CA model from a member or ebay and bolt them on if that would pass an inspection?

What about a family member in another state that can register it for your for say 6 months? Then, you can ride the bike and it will be legally registered in the other state until you are clear to "buy it back" from them and register it in CA with 7500+ miles.

What about a family member in another state that can register it for your for say 6 months? Then, you can ride the bike and it will be legally registered in the other state until you are clear to "buy it back" from them and register it in CA with 7500+ miles.

No family member is US :banghead: ...

Well, I guess I missed that part in the story. I thought you had bought it free and clear from Connecticut.

Looks like you are stuck dealing with the fellas that sold you the bike. Although, they may just come back and tell you that it is your responsibility as the buyer to ensure that the bike is legal where you reside.

This snafu is on the dealer and as already pointed out earlier, have them fix this mess for you.
P.S. The crappy part about the idea to "sell" and then "buy" again later once bike has over 7500 is you will paying CA sales tax again :(

Last edited:
Was it a California dealer? If so, you should be able to go to the licensing board and file a complaint. I would contact the dealer first. If it was a California dealer they should have known. An out of state dealer could say the didn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, it was a california dealer. They never told me it was out of state bike during sale. I also see a charge of $55.00 in my bill of sale for smog? they never did any smog or safety inspection, if they did i think they wouldve known its not going to pass.

Sounds like you need a lawyer. Visit the dealer and have them make it right and get your attorney involved.

Thats a real pain in the rear that i am gonna have to loose my bike because of their stupidity. the dealer called and said they want it back asap becuase its their bike? i told them no its on my name and i need to consult to my lawyer before i give it to them.

Back