NEED HELP... ATTN SoCal RIDERS!!

bigdaddy

Registered
Ok so I need to either buy or rent a set of guages for the busa that has over 7500 miles on it.

The CA DMV won't let me register the bike until it has that many on it and I have to do it in 18 days. And before you suggest it I can't just go on a 4000 mile trip. No time off work.

Anyone selling a set of guages or would entertain me renting a set froma SoCal rider so I can register my used 2003 busa?

Whaaaaaa? Why won't they let you register it until it has 7,500+ miles on it? That's a new one on me.

--Wag--

Does the DMV know you have the bike here??
I rode around on my Florida tags for 10 months until I built up 7500+miles.

You can borrow my guages, I live in Lakewood near Long Beach. But if the DMV knows you only have 3500 miles and you jump to 15,000+miles they might get suspicious. But if they don't know your mileage, borrow my guages, goto the DMV, then give mine back and put yours back on.

Or ride around on out of state tags until you've built up 7500+miles, then goto the DMV and tell them the bike just enetered the state and register it then(this is what I did, and it worked as long as you don't get pullled over by a cop in Cali).

Or find a DMV inspector who is sympathetic to your cause.

Did you just move here or did you buy the bike out of state??

CA has different EPA regs than the rest of the states due to the smog problem I think.  In any case just to give you an exampe if you go online at suzuki.com and read the specs for the bikes you'll see that there's a CA model and regular model.  That's the problem.  This one is NOT a CA model so for it to be registered in the state of CA it has to have 7500 miles on it.

The @ss at the DMV told me it didn't when I first called before I bought it.  After I bought it and called they explained the "rule"... dumbass rule... to me.

You can borrow my guages, I live in Lakewood near Long Beach.  But if the DMV knows you only have 3500 miles and you jump to 15,000+miles they might get suspicious.  But if they don't know your mileage, borrow my guages, goto the DMV, then give mine back and put yours back on.

Or ride around on out of state tags until you've built up 7500+miles, then goto the DMV and tell them the bike just enetered the state and register it then(this is what I did, and it worked as long as you don't get pullled over by a cop in Cali).

Just moved to CA 3 years ago so this is all still new to me. However the bike I just bought from Hawaiibusa... nice guy.

I may take you up the guages thing. Did you not transfer your title over either for 10 months? They told me you had to do it in 20 days.

You can borrow my guages, I live in Lakewood near Long Beach.  But if the DMV knows you only have 3500 miles and you jump to 15,000+miles they might get suspicious.  But if they don't know your mileage, borrow my guages, goto the DMV, then give mine back and put yours back on.

Just moved to CA 3 years ago so this is all still new to me.  However the bike I just bought from Hawaiibusa... nice guy.

I may take you up the guages thing. Did you not transfer your title over either for 10 months?  They told me you had to do it in 20 days.
Well you just bought the bike so its a different situation.

I moved from Florida with the same bike. So I just rode it around on my FL tags and registered it once I got above 7500 miles.

No problem borrowing my guages. Just goto a different DMV than the one you talked to. Once you have it inspected, just remember to use my miles and not yours on the paperwork. PM me for my cell phone #.

Don't you run the risk of being accused of rolling back the odometer at some point before it "catches up?"

--Wag--

Don't you run the risk of being accused of rolling back the odometer at some point before it "catches up?"

--Wag--
Possible, if for some reason an official inspected his mileage before he caught up to my mileage.

That's why I let him know I have 15,000+miles. That way if he can find someone else in SoCal with fewer miles the risk would be lower.

But no matter what, his only legal option is to sell or park the bike out of California. So no matter what, he will risk something.

I'll volunteer my gauges also, just need to borrow your gauges until your done with mine. By the way, welcome to the Org, where about in So Cal are you located?

I'll volunteer my gauges also, just need to borrow your gauges until your done with mine. By the way, welcome to the Org, where about in So Cal are you located?
Right now I live in Oceanside and commute all the way to Long Beach for work. Sucks. Our house is for sale now and we're likel moving to Costa Mesa area.

I'll send you a PM about the guages. I'v got a guy from suzukihayabusa.org that thinks he may have an extra set. He supposed to call me tonight. If that doesn't pan out I'll be looking you up.
smile.gif

Thanks again for the offer, I'll let you know. I look forward to riding sometime with you.

They want to keep folks from buying non cal-spec vehicles from out of state (especially new vehicles) and bringing them into the state. Guess they feel 7500 miles is what it takes to be considered "used".

The extra set ended up being for a GSXR1000. So still don't have a solution. While I prefer someone that has a set in the 7500 to 10000 range, soon I'll be branching out to higher mileage sets if I can't find a better solution.

Back