49 state busa vs CA busa

busabiker69

Registered
I remember hearing that to register an out of state (CA) bike that it needed to have more than 7500 mile. Is this true? A buddy is looking at an out of state bike and needs to know if it's a big hassel to register in Cali and if there is a big differance between the Cali bikes vs the out of state bikes.

Thanks
Busabiker69

do a search at: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html Good luck
all_coholic.gif

Yes it is true, I'm not sure if it's 7K or 7.5K ?? If the bike has the 7K plus miles it's no big deal. if it's under, unless your military stationed here, for get it.
Now of course I would never do this,  but instrument panels are rather easy to swap out, I've heard of guys with Blackbirds doing a swap for a trip to DMV, probably would'nt want to do it if the bike has almost zero miles, but if it's close and going to be there soon, some guys would consider it,  and let me say once again for the record, I would never do that, but if I did , would have cost ya a dinner or a 12pack, pepsi of course.

To confirm... It is 7500 miles and they do not budge at all. I fought them for over 2 years on a $60K custom that I brought into Calif. They took my $3K in tax money and $257 in registration money and gave me my plates.

Two weeks later they sent me a letter telling me I had 30 days to "remove my motorcycle from the state". When I called to ask if I get my tax money back they said "No, you bought it while you were a Calif resident so you still have to pay the taxes."
guns.gif

Long story short. 2 years worth of calls and threatening letters and they finally returned my tax money.

If it doesn't have 7500 miles on it don't do it.
cool.gif

(ToyKraz @ Jan. 08 2007,13:05) To confirm... It is 7500 miles and they do not budge at all.  I fought them for over 2 years on a $60K custom that I brought into Calif. They took my $3K in tax money and $257 in registration money and gave me my plates.

Two weeks later they sent me a letter telling me I had 30 days to "remove my motorcycle from the state".  When I called to ask if I get my tax money back they said "No, you bought it while you were a Calif resident so you still have to pay the taxes."  
guns.gif

Long story short. 2 years worth of calls and threatening letters and they finally returned my tax money.

If it doesn't have 7500 miles on it don't do it.  
cool.gif
DAYUUUUM
wow.gif

sounds like a major pain in the rear.

(busabiker69 @ Jan. 08 2007,11:26) I remember hearing that to register an out of state (CA) bike that it needed to have more than 7500 mile. Is this true? A buddy is looking at an out of state bike and needs to know if it's a big hassel to register in Cali and if there is a big differance between the Cali bikes vs the out of state bikes.

Thanks
Busabiker69
Give this link a try Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State
-Ed

Thanks for all the help and links. I have passed on all information and he is very grateful. Cheers to all!!!
beerchug.gif

Busabiker69

Ah Kalifornia, What a great Place...

God help us if it's setting the trend for the country, we're all screwed.

Pisser guys.

He has 2 choices.

Put 7500miles on it before registering it. Just tell the DMV the bike entered the state at the same time you roll over 7500miles. Say it was stored at a buddy's house in FL or wherever. That's what I did. Just don't get pulled over.

Or swap out the cluster with one that has more miles, go to the DMV, then swap the cluster back.

Don't tell the DMV the bike is in the state(if its less than 7500) or they will order you to remove it from the state.

(Revlis @ Jan. 08 2007,17:13) Ah Kalifornia, What a great Place...

God help us if it's setting the trend for the country, we're all screwed.

Pisser guys.
Yeah but the weather is really nice to ride in right now  
laugh.gif

zz1_043.jpg

Even though I don't live in CA anymore, I do have a CA 'busa. I believe the only difference is a gas vapour recovery system which robs about 1/2 gallon of precious room from the gas tank. I think the colour options are different as well.

(GSXRFANN @ Jan. 09 2007,11:24) What is so special about the 7500 miles? Why is that the magic number?
7500 or more miles is defined as a used vehicle.
Less than 7500 miles is defined as a new vehicle.

New vehicles must have the CA emissions sticker, or they must be driven out of state never to return.

Applies to cars as well as bikes.

The law was created because people were buying vehicles in NV and AZ that didn't have the emissions crap and then transferring them over to CA. This law put a stop to that.

The whole emmissions deal is a big pit of corruption.

Back