Registering an out of state bike in CA under 7500?

s4play

Registered
I'm not sure how many of you live out here in the beautiful state of CA but we sure do have some of the most PITA rule when it comes to the DMV.

My buddy learned the hard way so this is how I know but the DMV will not allow out of state bikes with under 7500 miles to be registered in this state. Has nothing to do with emissions so don't know why they have this rule but in my buddy's case he was stuck between a rock and hard place.

Basically he cannot ride the bike legally in the state since it's not registered but until he put on another 1100 miles on the bike he could not register it! So it was a catch 22....

In the end he just rode it the 1100 miles on back roads to get the mileage up to 7500 and finally sold the bike.

I've been shopping for a 2006 white busa and found a few out of state and most have super low miles. My question is has anyone ever tried to buy another speedo/dash unit with a higher mileage reading?

Just curious....

Find a friend with a gen1 busa that is over 7500 miles + swap the panels for registration. Swap 'em back when you're done
winkold.gif

It is because of emissions. CA is trying to prevent people from buying new bikes in AZ, NV or OR and registering them in CA. There are CA models and 49 state models.

You can ride the bike until you get above 7500 then tell the DMV the bike just enetered the state.

Borrow a buddies instrument cluster, get the inspection, then swap back.

Or find a crooked/lazy DMV inspector. They're out there.

Note, none of these are legal.
winkold.gif

buy it, have it shipped to my house, and i will ride it across country until it is showing 7500 and deliver it to you...all i ask is you buy me a plane ticket so i can get home
beerchug.gif

The best thing is to have a cross country ride until it has accumulated 7500 miles. Just of all the fun you could have reaching out to people across America or just seeing the sights.
The inspector will check the steering head for the vin# so swapping panels is out of the question.
You could do the cluster swap temporarily but you must make sure that the mileage ends up higher once you sell the bike compared to that reported at the time of registration otherwise you'll end up with an adverse carfax report.
Some folks have said that they have actually taken the bike to the DMV and "failed" the mileage inspection but just gone inside anyway and paid the fee without being questioned. The DMV Clerk is really just concerned about collecting revenues for the State of California anyway so the odds are good that they wont scrutinize. You just have to walk in confidently and put the paperwork in a pile so that they just glance at it.

I know a guy thats been riding for the last 2 months with texas plates on his bike, and he hasnt been pulled over. just get the bike you want and ride until you get 7500 miles.

Last year, me and my brother picked up a bike for my dad. He lives in the wonderful state of California still. We had to originaly title the bike in my name since I am the one who purchased said bike. When he came back here to the midwest for our annual ride we registered the bike in his name to my brothers address. The bike is now in California and still registered here. Any one askes (LEO) he lives half the year here in the nidwest and half the year in California. Just like the Florida snow birds. By the way the bike is an '06 that only had 1500 miles on it when bought. This is Some what legal. Also be advised the California also has rules about how old the bike is. I beleive it also has to be 4 years old or more to be exempt from the goofy rules.

I know a guy thats been riding for the last 2 months with texas plates on his bike, and he hasnt been pulled over. just get  the bike you want and ride until you get 7500 miles.
Thanks for all the replies - seems like all the nice White Busa's are in other states like Washington or Florida so this is why I'm trying to figure this one out.

Any other color is pretty easy to find but I REALLY want a white bike this time around
smile.gif

So you guys suggest I just buy the lower mileage say 5k miles bike and try to register it in the state of CA? I "might" fail the odometer reading but the DMV may not catch it since I'm paying taxes for the bike regardless right? hmmmm

kairles: I noticed you have my choice in bike color plus you are in CA...hehehe - selling that baby anytime soon?

rk

nope, I don't even really own it yet.
biggrin.gif

you could also buy a nice bike here in CA, and get the 06LE body work or have it painted.

Back