Are Gen 3’s 50 states legal? Any hassles registering an out of state bike in CA?

Gen3lover

Registered
If I buy a bike outside of CA with less than 7500 miles on the OD and bring it back here, in order to get it registered it has to have an emissions sticker saying it’s 50 states compliant.
Do all Gen 3’s have this sticker?
I suppose I could call a dealer and ask this question but I thought I’d tap into the brain trust here.

Has anyone bought a bike with less than 7500 miles outside of CA, brought it back here and encountered problems?

What if you show up to the DMV with the 50 states sticker but you also have a full exhaust which is technically a no-no in CA.
Will the DMV go nuts and refuse to register the bike?

If this is going to be a big hassle at the DMV then I better search for bikes in CA only.

California bikes have EVAP systems where most Gen 3 owners ive come across say their bike never had one. There is a canister in the tail by the side of the subframe that is off of a vent on the gas tank and a sensor. There is a sticker in the tail that shows it all.

I wouldn't try to register an out of state bike that didn't have all of its emissions systems installed (this includes a full system) wouldn't wanna get ref'ed and end up on the radar.

I had to remove a side fairing on a Ducati I bought in Montana that didn’t have 7,500 miles on it so the DMV tech could look underneath the motor and compare numbers even though I had an official letter from American Ducati saying it was a 50 state bike. It’s doubtful an aftermarket exhaust would interest the DMV IMO but one never knows. Luckily the Ducati had twist off fasteners on the fairing.

So I know this isn't in the tail of other busa's ive seen. My bike was purchased in San Diego.

20230830_214508.jpg

@pcs don't you good time laugh at me. I'm stuck in this stupid state. It was 4.5 lbs to remove it all though :D
I’m stuck here too. I’m jealous of all those Moore Mafia/650ib, etc vids I see.
There’s no way those guys could operate here in our lovely state.
The cops here in the Bay Area aren’t likely to pull you over just for a modified exhaust but getting the parts and getting the work done is another story.

@pashnit ?
He bought his Gen3 from Va with under 1k miles on it.
Maybe he can give you some insight?

Outside-CA bikes don't have the charcoal canister.
We can argue about what a 50-state bike is, but if the bike wasn't originally first sold in CA, the below 2 rules apply per the DMV website.

I've bought the last four bikes in a row from out of state. And yes, I bought them all sight unseen. I shipped three & my third Hayabusa I bought in Spokane, WA & a friend flew up there from CA, ubered over to bike and rode it back to California for me. I covered all his expenses, flight, etc. Still cheaper. I bought a bike in Minneapolis, MN, shipped that one to CA, bought my TL1000R in Iowa and shipped both of those to myself.

Shipping takes a lot of time - months. Don't be in a hurry. I waited three months ship time for my fourth Hayabusa. The other bikes were 1-2 months.

Bikes are cheaper outside of CA. I suppose since we ride year-round here. The price difference even covered the cost of shipping it to myself in CA. Figure $6-800 to ship a bike cross-country. I've used 1-800-Haul-Bikes three times so far.

I'd tell you to read the rules on the DMV website, but I'll save you the time. You already know the bike has to have 7500 miles on it to register an out-of-state bike in CA. The 7500-mile rule is at time of sale, not time of registering. Don't try to register a bike in CA with less than 7500 miles, the DMV will blacklist the bike (you can never register this bike in CA ever, as in ever, ever). That's what happened to my third Busa, I had no idea, my mistake. The bike had 6000 miles on it, and the seller wrote down 6000 on the title. Another mistake.

I registered & plated my third Busa in Nevada at a friends house. We were both on title and owned it together with an 'or' on the title which means only one person needs to sign the title when you sell it. Only rule there is he's required to have insurance locally on 'our' bike in Nevada. It was like $12 a month for (minimum coverage) insurance for him in Nevada & I paid that of course. I also insured it here in CA with my carrier with full coverage. Locally here in CA, the insurance carrier (I have Farmers) could careless what state the bike is plated in or who's name is on title. If you have possession of the bike, you can insure it. Not an insurance expert, that's just my personal experience.

You can't just buy a light-mileage bike (under 7500 miles) and run the mileage up, then register it. However... Whoever you buy it from, make sure to leave the mileage blank on the title and fill it out yourself. That becomes a non-issue if the seller leaves the mileage blank & let's you fill it out. That's a handshake deal between you and the seller asking them to do that. I only had one guy refuse (of the four) to leave it blank, but the mileage was over 15k anyway, so it didn't matter.

Rule #2: it also has to be two years old from time of (first) sale. That one I didn't know about till I read the DMV site. Never bought a near-new bike till the last one so that rule was never an issue. If you buy a near-new bike, make sure you find out when it was first sold, (ie dealer). But, don't let our stupid rules stop you.

You will have to bring the bike to DMV for a vin verify. They only care about making sure all the vin numbers match on motor vs frame. If you know someone with a Vin Verify License, you skip doing that, as anyone (who's licensed) can vin verify the bike in California. If you have the Vin Verify forms completed, there's no need to bring the bike to the DMV. Helps to know people who know people.

For Nevada, my buddy with the Vin Verify License couldn't help me, so I put the Washington Hayabusa on my trailer and drove up there to my buddies house in Nevada, and we went to the Nevada DMV together and the NV DMV vin verified it in the parking lot. I sold that bike to a friend in Texas. No one seems to care about aftermarket pipes (in my experience), I haven't owned a bike with stock pipes in 20 years. You just can't ship aftermarket pipes to a CA address (ship them to a NV or AZ address) & CA dealers won't install them since you're modifying the emission system. Do it yourself. But if bike already has aftermarket pipes on it, never had an issue with that, no one seems to care.

The fourth Hayabusa I've got right now I got from Virginia from an org member & I shipped the bike to Texas. It has Texas plates on it & is registered in TX as a friends house. Again, my insurance carrier could careless what state the bike is plated in, only who has possession of the bike. Once the bike is two years old I can plate the current Busa in CA which presumably is July 2024 & put it in my name.

Again, don't let our stupid rules stop you.

Haul-Bikes.jpg

Pashnit-thanks for taking the time to relay your experiences. Good to hear.
Well, I don’t know anyone in OR, NV or AZ who can help me so I’m on my own.
And even if I did I’m not sure I’d want to go through all the machinations you described. I have enough to deal with already with work and family.

Good to know about how a newer bike can be black listed because that’s what I’m looking to buy.

Based on the feedback I’m getting I’m going to stay in my own backyard and buy a CA bike to avoid the hassle of dealing with the DMV.

Last edited:
A dealer in Fresno has two new ones, a grey and a white. Both are $18,435 which includes a $995 dealer markup. A new ZX14 there is $2,000 less.

but u didnt even ask for help
True, but I don't feel right involving someone else in a scheme like this. Besides, Pashnit advises don't even try to register a bike in CA with less than 7500 miles which is exactly what I'd be attempting to do.
I can't imagine what I'd do if I "imported" a newish Gen 3 with low miles just find out I can't get it registered.

I was hoping all I had to do was to show the CA DMV the 50 states emissions sticker and I'd be good. Nope!

True, but I don't feel right involving someone else in a scheme like this. Besides, Pashnit advises don't even try to register a bike in CA with less than 7500 miles which is exactly what I'd be attempting to do.
I can't imagine what I'd do if I "imported" a newish Gen 3 with low miles just find out I can't get it registered.

I was hoping all I had to do was to show the CA DMV the 50 states emissions sticker and I'd be good. Nope!

Have you tried contacting Suzuki America?

Suzuki of Van Nuys had some decent prices on 3rd gens earlier in the year. Maybe they still do. There were several good guys who were on the 'Busa boards back in the day who worked there. I believe the owners are still the same.

I realize that's Socal and not the Bay area where you are, but it might be worth inquiring.

Suzuki of Van Nuys had some decent prices on 3rd gens earlier in the year. Maybe they still do. There were several good guys who were on the 'Busa boards back in the day who worked there. I believe the owners are still the same.

I realize that's Socal and not the Bay area where you are, but it might be worth inquiring.
I have no problem traveling to Southern CA.
I’ve been on Cycle Trader and you’re right, there are some deals down there.

What got me thinking about out of state bikes is that there are some nicely modded Gen 3’s (nothing crazy- full exhaust, velocity stacks, tune) outside of CA that I was salivating over.
Nothing like that here.
They’ve already done the stuff I want to do and I can get it for a bargain.
But if I can’t register the bike in CA what good is that?

I flew to SoCal from the Bay Area when I found my 06. The dealer even paid for my airfare! Was a nice 400 mile ‘test ride’ back up hiway 1.

Back