California Governor signs bill into law, no more aftermarket exhausts

Holy F'n S, I'm so glad to see that they have all of the big problems taken care of so that they can focus on a company that could probably BUY California and make them change THEIR menu. If I were a McDonalds rep...I'd send them a huge picture of a middle finger. Or maybe hire one of those sky writer airplanes to do it in the sky for all of them to see.

+1 for stupid California nut-job political BS.

it kinda' makes me laugh that so many people are getting worlked up about a law that is, exactly the same as the previous laws that have been around since the early 70's.

thats almost 40 years, that it hs been illegal to modify your exhaust.

Yes, we have emissions and its a pain in he ass, but we need to have strict air quality standards....more people live here than any other state, there are more cars here than in any other state....we have he biggest industry of any state in the US....

the GDP of California is in the top 10 of the world.....

we need stricter laws, we needed them to clean up the air from smog. So if your mis-understanding of what just happened makes you want to leave, or not come visi us..cool. there are 30+ million of us here already, we won't miss you one bit.

PS: i like being able to look out my window and actually see across the street, 70's smog was horrible and if it costs me losing a few HP so be it.

it kinda' makes me laugh that so many people are getting worlked up about a law that is, exactly the same as the previous laws that have been around since the early 70's.

thats almost 40 years, that it hs been illegal to modify your exhaust.

Yes, we have emissions and its a pain in he ass, but we need to have strict air quality standards....more people live here than any other state, there are more cars here than in any other state....we have he biggest industry of any state in the US....

the GDP of California is in the top 10 of the world.....

we need stricter laws, we needed them to clean up the air from smog. So if your mis-understanding of what just happened makes you want to leave, or not come visi us..cool. there are 30+ million of us here already, we won't miss you one bit.

PS: i like being able to look out my window and actually see across the street, 70's smog was horrible and if it costs me losing a few HP so be it.
This law doesn't have anything to do with testing bikes for emissions, its about excessive noise, meeting legal decibel levels, and getting rid of after market exhausts.
They had a bill up for emissions testing bikes (by the same lady who got this one passed ??? bike hater?), but it failed because the cost wasn't worth the small gain, too small of a percentage of bikes compared to all other vehicles, not enough overall smog effect to matter :laugh: But I'm sure reduced hp and limited top speeds will be coming soon though :whistle:
I do agree california has a VERY serious air pollution problem. Been up and down the state many times, pretty disgusting air you got there :banghead:

Where did you get this at?

i am on the board for NCOM. we had a breakout seminar at our meeting in Orlando. a group from New York gave a presentation where they had gone to a dealership and took pictures of the EPA stamp on mufflers of new bikes. none were compliant, you could hardly find most, but none of the bikes fully complied with the law.

:poke: some of yall should go to (and join) an NCOM and/or MRF convention! they are the ones on the front line of motorcycle rights.

This law doesn't have anything to do with testing bikes for emissions, its about excessive noise, meeting legal decibel levels, and getting rid of after market exhausts.
They had a bill up for emissions testing bikes (by the same lady who got this one passed ??? bike hater?), but it failed because the cost wasn't worth the small gain, too small of a percentage of bikes compared to all other vehicles, not enough overall smog effect to matter :laugh: But I'm sure reduced hp and limited top speeds will be coming soon though :whistle:
I do agree california has a VERY serious air pollution problem. Been up and down the state many times, pretty disgusting air you got there :banghead:

its the same bill, the emissions testing for motorcycles was excluded because there is no way to implement it. CA smog testing stations cannot test motorcycles......

this new bill does nothing new. laws about vehicle noise have been in the books since the early 70's.

here is what happened. Fran PAvley decided to get some publicity, and write a polution control bill on motorcycles. She believed it to be an easy mark as motocylsits are a minority group, and she based her bill on on the exhisting laws, adding the vehicle smog inspection to the previous laws would avoid legal issues.....

well it turns out that motorcyclsits, and thier advocacy groups made a big stink about it, and law makers could find the money to implement her smog testing.....

so Pavley decides to strip the smog provisions out of it and send it thru.....

so now she can get her tv publicity, and nobody really cares because it does not change anything. the noise laws have been there since the 70's....

Thats still pretty dirty tactics :moon: But its a politician, and a women at that, no honor whatsoever :poke: I don't mean to be sexist, but female politicians will stoop way lower than men, wtf is up with that? I see it way to often :whistle:

I forsee bikes in the future with engines no bigger than 750cc, but making almost twice the power we have now.

That would be cool if they actually could retain something resembling torque :laugh: I'm spoiled by big motors, I don't want to have to scream a motor around constantly anymore to get my power. I know.....I'm spoiled :rofl:

I forsee bikes in the future with engines no bigger than 750cc, but making almost twice the power we have now.
I hope Honda/Suzuki start making 2-stroke engines again! With the FI technology that is now being put into outboard motors, there's no reason why a 500cc 2-stroke motorcycle engine wouldn't pass emissions testing.

Cities send more chemicals, sewage, and pollution into the ground water and air than business. Yet it is run by the government so they get by with slaps on the wrist while business get heavy fines.
The states highways, sewage, run off drains, bridges are falling apart because they keep patching and praying they will hold. Most states, including CA, are broke from wasteful spending on BS projects, high salaries, and keeping deadbeats up. Yet pass stupid laws to try and stay in power to do more of the same.

Back