Helmet laws

bigern_05Busa

Ad augusta per angusta
Donating Member
Registered
Lawmakers to bikers: You decide on helmets
Law changed, but veto may heat up governor race

LANSING -- After an estimated 800 motorcyclists rallied in front of the Capitol on Wednesday, the Michigan House rewarded their efforts by passing historic legislation to end the state's 37-year-old mandate that bikers wear protective helmets.
The 66-37 vote, following last year's Senate approval, marks the first time both chambers have agreed during the same legislative session that Michigan should join 30 other states -- including all those in the Midwest -- to let riders decide whether to don helmets.
The bill now heads to the desk of Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who has said she will veto it.
The bill could set up a campaign issue in this year's gubernatorial race since Republican #### DeVos supports the repeal.
House Speaker Craig DeRoche, R-Novi, and Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anuzis climbed aboard Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Fowlerville to lead a 30-mile procession of several hundred bikers to the Lansing rally.
"This has always been about freedom, about your choice," DeRoche told the crowd.
"We need to send a message to the governor that she needs to sign this bill."
Anuzis told the gathered bikers, many sporting tattoos, black leather and graying beards: "If this governor doesn't sign it, I guarantee you the next governor will."
Michigan has nearly a half-million licensed motorcycle riders.
The helmet repeal is strongly opposed by law enforcement and the insurance and medical communities, on grounds that it would lead to a hefty increase in motorcycle injuries and fatalities.
They also say the expected increase in health care costs that would accompany a helmet law repeal would be borne by all Michigan residents.
"The governor supports the current law, and no one has made a convincing argument that she should feel differently," said Liz Boyd, the governor's press secretary.
The legislation would allow motorcyclists at least 21 years of age with two years driving experience or a completed motorcycle safety class the option of not wearing a helmet.
If Granholm vetoes the bill, an override is unlikely.
John Melech, a 54-year Dearborn motorcyclist who attended the rally, said he would likely vote for DeVos based on the helmet issue, despite leaning toward Democratic candidates for 20 years.
"It's about who will represent me and my interests," said the Ford Motor Co. skilled tradesman.

bilde.jpg

Lawmakers in Ohio are trying to make it mandatory to wear a helmet. I am kinda torn. I always wear a helmet now(never did before) but I think it should be my choice.

How can people ride without helmets? The bugs and the windblasting is terrible...Eyes also start watering...???

I think people should have the choice, I personally always wear my helmet but that is my choice. I think Jenny is on her way out the door. Our unemployment is at an all time high among other things. Moral is it should be the persons choice. ( side note, they should have special coverage for the medical if that is what people are worried about.)

I think people should have the choice, I personally always wear my helmet but that is my choice. I think Jenny is on her way out the door. Our unemployment is at an all time high among other things. Moral is it should be the persons choice. ( side note, they should have special coverage for the medical if that is what people are worried about.)

+1

I advocate Helmet laws in all states. I don’t feel that legally having to wear, at least, a DOT rated helmet is a violation of my personal liberties. I think that the overall return far outweighs the hassles. Everyone should wear at least a helmet and if they won’t do it make it a ticket.

I have worked in healthcare for many years. I think that there should be helmet laws. I have seen way too many low speed accidents take lives because of head injuries. It is completely avoidable and it has been my experience that sometimes safety has to be legislated. Just like with seatbelts and stop signs, there should be a legal means to encourage people to be safe.

In an ideal world it would be everyone’s choice. But the real world is a little more complicated.

I think of it as Darwinism at it's best.

Laws that protect me from others are a good thing.

Laws that protect me from myself are a bad thing.

If I'm so incompetent as to be unable to make intelligent decisions I don't need a government telling me what to do. I should just be put into institutional care and be done with it. If someone is so ignorant as to ride without a helmet and they hurt themselves there should be no cost to society. That's one of the many reasons healthcare costs what it does. Everyone pays for everyone else's mistakes. Rather than keeping them from making the mistake, just don't pay for it. They'll learn or they won't be around to make that mistake again.

Sounds harsh to some I'm sure but that's my $.02 on the matter. And yes, I always wear a helmet and boots and gloves and jacket and at least jeans if not leather. Never shorts & flipflops.

Fine make a helmet law to go with the seat belt law... But how about you put a f'ing seatbelt in every f'ing train, school bus, public bus... Or better yet let people decide to make the right choice... Or better yet lets sue KFC because they use transfat? I think if your to stupid to wear a seatbelt or a helmet then you deserve what you get.
Stop protecting the stupid...

I feel people should have a choice, but with that said peoples choices shouldn't cost others.
The individuals choice to wear a helmet or not is a choice that when things go bad end up cost society thousands to millions of dollars.
Should something that has the potential to impact so many lives be an individuals choice?
For now I see no real reason not to wear a helmet other than you just don't feel like it.

Fine make a helmet law to go with the seat belt law... But how about you put a f'ing seatbelt in every f'ing train, school bus, public bus... Or better yet let people decide to make the right choice... Or better yet lets sue KFC because they use transfat?  I think if your to stupid to wear a seatbelt or a helmet then you deserve what you get.  
Stop protecting the stupid...
Smart people can do stupid things from time to time. Smart people can also be brash, overconfident and have an occasional oversight; especially in their youth. I think that the legislation is to protect all riders, stupid or not. We all have done stupid things from time to time. Just because someone doesn’t wear a helmet doesn’t mean they are stupid and conversely someone who does wear a helmet is not automatically smart. I have seen guys wearing a helmet and little else for protection, which I think is pretty stupid.

The law helps protect all people, smart or otherwise, from doing something stupid and dangerous.

I know many people probably won’t agree with me on this, I usually catch a lot of flack for my position on this issue. I think that there should be helmet laws although some people use the “foot in the doorâ€￾ argument that helmet laws would open the way for seriously restrictive legislation.

afro.gif

<!--EDIT|RaveCrusader
Reason for Edit: "Typo"|1150331569 -->

How about you run through a few of your life choices?

You a smoker?
Do you like to drink? If so how often do you drink?
Do you have other dangerous hobbies(Jet skis, climbing)?
How fast is your car?
How often do you exercise?
Are you overweight?
How often do you eat red meat? Sugar?

We can all get vote together help you come up some better decisions to help you do things better for yourself. Sound good?

Yea, so that's my point.
smile.gif
It's not so much the foot in the door as much as its none of your goddamn business how I choose to live.

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150341058 -->

i agree with the dude....it should be our choice. Just like seeing overweight women wearing half shirts....their choice even if other people disagree or go blind.
laugh.gif

Back