Buying an $800 helmet...

and they all meet min. standards.......if you knew you had to be in a car wreck, would you rather be in a volvo or a kia?

compare apples to apples....for example:

take two 4 door sedans a toyota camry($30K) and a BMW 5 series($60K). according to the NHTSA both cars scored the same, in all categories but one.

Driver Side Front Impact, the Camry got a 5 star rating over a 3 rating for for the BMW.

the BMW is the $800 helmet....looks great and gets you attention, but in an accident...when cool doesnt matter, the more pedestrian camry is the better performer....

more money does not mean more protection.....

The more expensive helmet usually is built with better materials and usually lighter. The lighter helmet will cause you less fatigue on long rides.

The more expensive helmet usually is built with better materials and usually lighter. The lighter helmet will cause you less fatigue on long rides.

My skull Icon has been my everyday helmet for a few days now. Was my lid on a ride from Chicago to Jersey. It's light and I feel safe wearing it.

I wear a Suomy Spec 1R Extreme and an older Shoei rf-900....I have owned a few Arai's, also....I prefer the Suomy over all of them simply for its lighter weight. I think 800 bucks is a little high for a helmet, but then again I paid 600 for the Suomy. You can find helmets much cheaper on eBay from the "premium" brands, and I think that an Arai/Suomy, even a Shoei, is much better than an HJC, ICON, or KBC...just my opinion.

I've spent untold hours, as I suspect many of us have, reading helmet reviews/tests, threads like this one, ad copy, etc. and I have seen no evidence between helmet cost and the ability of a helmet to do it's ultimate job of protecting the head. In fact, I have seen plenty of evidence that indicates NO relation, the primary example being the Motorcyclist helmet testing article of a few years ago where the helmet that scored best in terms of protection was one the least expensive at under $100.

What price does seem to be related to on a regular basis, although there are exceptions, are the peripheral functions and features such as venting, graphics, fit, finish, number of features, lower weight etc. Some of these features are truly functional and offer a measurable benefit while others are simply preference/subjective. However, most helmets by the majors are doing well enough in these peripheral areas that an $800 helmet is hard to justify when a $200 helmet comes close to or, in some cases, meets or beats the same mark.

In my case, I have yet to justify more than $200 on a helmet. I have only owned three daily/primary helmets:

1) Late 80's Nolan N42 (full face, not the recent 3/4 model)
2) HJC CL-14, purchased new in 2006 for just over $100, now my backup
3) HJC FS-15, Elbows II graphic (Ben Spies) just purchased new in 2009 for $173 plus shipping

I was considering Arai, but after being sized by two different "experts" from a premier Arai dealer and getting two completely different recommendations on both size and shell, I simply couldn't justify an extra $300 or $400. As it turns out, the HJC FS-15 actually fits me better than any of the Arai's that I tried. Go figure. ???

Of course, whatever specific full face helmet one chooses, the more important choice is that of choosing to wear a full face helmet in the first place.

Best of luck!

simple none of the choices will mean crap unless it fits your melon the way it should, start there try everything on a few times then look for it online and get a good deal....800 is freaking crazy dosnt make it a safer lid but a proven record of better product ...maybe ..all in all its gotta fit they are all shaped dif

shoei has a few new lids coming out in oct

I have an HJC and it gives me a headache after about an hour of riding pushes right on my forehead so I end up pushing it back on my head to alleviate some of the pain.

What is a good helmet for a big heads like me? LoL I think I have an XXL got to check the tag.

Don't need anything expensive just something comfortable!

Ive also got a big-ass head. I found the joe rocket RKT 101 helmets fit excellent for my big dome. I have the RKT 101 in carbon fiber, around $450 i think? Great helmet

keep in mind, the 5 series is going to be a hell of a lot more comfortable than the camry too.

Well, you win Tony. First Nitrous Junkie came in with his brilliantly original comment..... Of course I thought Afterhours was going to pull it off with his useless contribution but you just swooped right in with your useless babble.:thumbsup:

I was unaware that the responsibility of a thread starter was to also be the thread post critic! All these guys gave you their opinion, even "$200 head" tells you something. Were their replies not worded to your liking or not what you wanted to hear? You'll seldom get unanimity of opinion here. It's up to you to sort throught the responses, which you asked for by the way, and make your own decision. Now go buy a $500 Shoei as a compromise! It's exactly halfway between $200 and $800.

Last edited:
if you have 800 bucks to spend on a helmet do it, just make sure it fits perfect. be happy. why ruin a good story with the truth?

My skull Icon has been my everyday helmet for a few days now. Was my lid on a ride from Chicago to Jersey. It's light and I feel safe wearing it.

I've got a HJC CL15, AC12 and a Icon Mainframe. Icon makes a pretty helmet at the price point. They are decently light too.

Of all the helmets we sell at the dealership, HJC moves cause of the price-ARAI moves because of the quality-They change the batchs at the factory every time the humidty changes, HJC just knocks em out assembly line style, ARAI still hand lays the graphics, and puts em together by hand.

The HJC's seem to have their own following and so does ARAI,ICON,SHOEI,KBC,AGV.

My personal helmet is a RX-7 Matsuda cobra-and I got that at the dealer show.

Just dug this thread up from the grave while perusing through some of the riding gear forum. I read this article and was really shocked at how poorly the Arai's performed which allowed nearly 70g's more energy to strike a rider's head compared to the much cheaper Z1R helmet. Makes me re-think my next helmet purchase. The report noted that Suomy, Vermar, Shark and Schuberth all performed well - but made no mention of Shoei so I'd assume they're mid-pack or worse along the lines of the Arai.

Seems some of the argument that more $$ doesn't mean more protection holds water. :whistle:

Found this review of the Z1R - http://www.webbikeworld.com/z1r-helmets/z1r-zrp-1.htm

Still looking at the Suomy line, just hard finding something without loud as heck graphics from them. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Although I own several helmets , the only one I have ever
had the opportunity to do my own testing on was my least expensive. I also took out a 6" X 6" metal sign post with my head, and my HJC did it's job. I think the most important thing, other than selecting a product that meets at least snell specifications, is fit and comfort. I do not buy into the theory of the more you spend, the safer you are. If you want and can afford an $800 helmet, go for it, but I don't think a person has to spend that much to be protected.

IMG00290.jpg

I agree,the best thing to consider is what you feel when you have the helmet on your head.Fitting?comfort?safety of wearing?the quality?If you found all of them then why not.

Well i know my icon helmet has a chin flap and that cuts down on alot of noise coming in. I had this expensive Arai helmet that whistled like their was a bird in my ear :rofl: kinda lame..

Back