Buying an $800 helmet...

:thumbsup: More people get it!!!!! :thumbsup:

It's not just about the impact tests. It's fit, finish, and overall superior quality. I will ride with my OGK, but the Arai is my favorite for protection AND comfort.

I love the arai lids, but I could never get one to fit like I wanted, so with that said, I being a shoei man and all, I bought a new rf 1100 and love it. I still have 2 rf-1000's and a hjc cl-15 draco I wore once and did'nt like it, and will sell if anyone wants it. the 1100 is a big improvement over the 1k as far as air flow and comfort to me anyway, and it's half of what the thread title states.
HPIM2746.jpg

I love the arai lids, but I could never get one to fit like I wanted, so with that said, I being a shoei man and all, I bought a new rf 1100 and love it. I still have 2 rf-1000's and a hjc cl-15 draco I wore once and did'nt like it, and will sell if anyone wants it. the 1100 is a big improvement over the 1k as far as air flow and comfort to me anyway, and it's half of what the thread title states.
HPIM2746.jpg

Nice looking Shoei...
Shoei makes real good stuff too. I prefer my Arai because the profile fits
my long oval head like it was custom measured and made just for me.
Plus I love the pods on the side that hide the visor hinge mechanism.
Personal choice only but if the shoei fits better :thumbsup:

side note*
I did recently buy a KBC super cheapie...I was going to the gym and the lockers
aren't wide enough to hold my helmet and the staff there are idiots. When I
signed up they said they would keep my helmet behind the counter for me.
I hand it to the lady, she puts on top of the stool (like one of the 3 tards
behind the counter with 2 feet to the wall wont knock if off of there in the
next hour and half). She looked really annoyed when I insisted they move it
to a safe location. SO that wont work...I don't like locking my Arai to my bike
in a parking lot for a couple of hours sooo...I thought I'd buy a cheap helmet
and use it on gym days...someone cuts the strap and steals it, not a huge deal.

The KBC is a huge POS. I guess I been spoiled by the Arai these past couple years
the thing is heavy, fits crappie, whistles like a sailor when I turn my head to
look for traffic. The visor (a dark smoke) is just that...smokey as heck in direct
sunlight. This helmet is awful in every way, I was hoping someone would steal it...
I'd come back to my bike after the gym and "darn...it's still hear."

Nice looking Shoei...
Shoei makes real good stuff too. I prefer my Arai because the profile fits
my long oval head like it was custom measured and made just for me.
Plus I love the pods on the side that hide the visor hinge mechanism.
Personal choice only but if the shoei fits better :thumbsup:

side note*
I did recently buy a KBC super cheapie...I was going to the gym and the lockers
aren't wide enough to hold my helmet and the staff there are idiots. When I
signed up they said they would keep my helmet behind the counter for me.
I hand it to the lady, she puts on top of the stool (like one of the 3 tards
behind the counter with 2 feet to the wall wont knock if off of there in the
next hour and half). She looked really annoyed when I insisted they move it
to a safe location. SO that wont work...I don't like locking my Arai to my bike
in a parking lot for a couple of hours sooo...I thought I'd buy a cheap helmet
and use it on gym days...someone cuts the strap and steals it, not a huge deal.

The KBC is a huge POS. I guess I been spoiled by the Arai these past couple years
the thing is heavy, fits crappie, whistles like a sailor when I turn my head to
look for traffic. The visor (a dark smoke) is just that...smokey as heck in direct
sunlight. This helmet is awful in every way, I was hoping someone would steal it...
I'd come back to my bike after the gym and "darn...it's still hear."

:lol: I know what you mean, once you find what you like, everything else sucks. what annoys me about my hjc, is the viser has 3 click position on it, and it's loud for no more air then it flows. *side note* anybody with hjc helmets, I'm not trying to offend them, just my preference's.

The Arai's are a great helmet. For the price you get one of the best helmets in my eyes. They flow so much more air then an Icon and the weight difference between the 2 is night and day! If you got the cash go ahead and buy the Arai.

I was looking at the same helmet all week and I came across some good deals of between 470 and 500 to the door. I then was told to go to google images and enter that description to get a better look at the finish. In doing so I came across a post from a kawi zx-10 forum for a group buy for $430 to the door. I called late Friday and they said the guy you have to talk to isn't in til Monday or Tuesday but they didn't see a problem with me getting that price.I'll let you know how I make out

want to answer your own question? look at the racing circuit. these guys crash at stupid speeds and walk away. Why? Their Gear. U wont find them wearing a $50 Bell helmet that came off the shelf from Walmart despite the fact that it passed the DOT standards. High Dollar helmets are high dollar for a reason. I was wearing a mid grade helmet when I crashed a few years ago and it failed. Luckily, i landed in a nice soft grassy ditch. Had it been the [avement i would not be writing this response. if u have a $200 head, get a $200 helmet. U saved up enough to afford the world's finest motorcycle, now u can do it again to get a quality lid.
For the record, i'm not hatin' ... I'm Statin'
Ride safe

I have 3 Arai's and 1 Shark helmet. The most I would pay for an Arai is about 400, but bar none its the Rolex of helmets. If you have the money I say get it. Hell! we pay over 10k easily for two wheels without complaining.

I have 3 Arai's and 1 Shark helmet. The most I would pay for an Arai is about 400, but bar none its the Rolex of helmets. If you have the money I say get it. Hell! we pay over 10k easily for two wheels without complaining.

I like and have a Shoei, but have been lookin at the Shark, hear they are super light. What do think about the Shark,?

want to answer your own question? look at the racing circuit. these guys crash at stupid speeds and walk away. Why? Their Gear. U wont find them wearing a $50 Bell helmet that came off the shelf from Walmart despite the fact that it passed the DOT standards. High Dollar helmets are high dollar for a reason. I was wearing a mid grade helmet when I crashed a few years ago and it failed. Luckily, i landed in a nice soft grassy ditch. Had it been the [avement i would not be writing this response. if u have a $200 head, get a $200 helmet. U saved up enough to afford the world's finest motorcycle, now u can do it again to get a quality lid.
For the record, i'm not hatin' ... I'm Statin'
Ride safe

Looked at the racing circuit...Mat Mladin used to wear a Scorpion. Their most expensive helmet is on sale at $309. Sounds like you've been suckered in by advertising. It's okay, you're not alone.....I'm just statin.

Mat Mladin.jpg

Last edited:
I always love the "how much is your head/life worth" analogies. Its a great way for someone to try to justify buying an overpriced helmet thats no better protection wise than the lower priced one.:rofl: But heres the deal....MY LIFE is worth alot more than $800 and since they dont make a $8000000000 helmet, I guess I'll stick with my $150 scorpion that fits great, has great ventilation, and only mildly chaotic graphics.

Right? I mean, what the hell kinda argument is that? Is my head worth $200? With that logic everyone should be riding around in armored vehicles or this car!

fat car bronze-car.jpg

Instead we buy the best we can affford...which for some is something like this:laugh:

Automobiles675.jpg

My noodle is worth alot more than 800 but if anyone can show me where a Shoei didn't do it's job I'll think about another !

I have never paid for a helmet in my life .
Always worked the best deal I could and after that walked over and picked out a helmet .
Then told them it's goin in the deal or it's not a deal !

Maybe dropping an 800 dollar helmet won't damage it but the chip in the $800 paint job would kill me !
To much of a clutz and I have a son who loves to wear daddies helmet .
The Arais look great but to say your 600 better off is a stretch as you cannot put a value o. your head !

If that was the case and you spent 10k on the bike your helmet should be 20k !

Kenny Roberts wore a Bell helmet his entire career and at one point if you did not have a Bell or Simpson lid you were stupid.
I grew up with a bell lid and hit pavement face first at 80mph it worked .
All the metal snaps on the shield were ground flat but I was ok .

Just a side thought here...don't you just love the people who buy a $600-800 helmet but ride in a $30 pair of jeans, $50 athletic shoes and a $25 hoodie? :rofl: Seen way too many of those village idiots around.

Arai is the only way to go. Some like a Lexus and others like the Camry even though the Camry is almost the same vehicle minus a few frills and features. There are some features and tolerances you will find in an Arai that are absolutely a cut above the rest.

ARAI IS THE LEXUS....

Arai is the only way to go. Some like a Lexus and others like the Camry even though the Camry is almost the same vehicle minus a few frills and features. There are some features and tolerances you will find in an Arai that are absolutely a cut above the rest.

ARAI IS THE LEXUS....

Awesome....I'll go buy one tomorrow if you can answer this one question.

Do you own a Lexus?:laugh:

I always buy the gear that I THINK is the best, I could give a rats but if someone else thinks otherwise.

Any gear is better then no gear, I have been trying to teach this to my parents on there bike, they just dont wanna listen.

Back