Buying an $800 helmet...

Two things i consider,the quality.Is it perfectly fit to what i need and how long it will last?Price,is it reasonable and can i afford to buy expensive helmet?If both answer is yes then go buy it.

I went into Cycle Gear the other day...tried on the Arai profile and loved it. Then I saw the '09 Corsair which got me thinking(and wishing)...is there a good reason to buy an $800 helmet? Can it really be better than my $200 Icon? My Icon was considerably better than my HJC but how much better can an $800 helmet be?

Any thoughts?

What's your life worth ???

i like shoei. on my 3rd. looking for the fourth...

i tried on the arai, didnt fit like my shoei. but deff better than my hjc. cycle gear has sales every so often. even if you just order that day you get the discount. doesnt have to be in stock.

What is that? ???
sigpic12246_4.gif

Yep, all Snell helmets meet the minimum requirements.

More expensive ones tend to exceed minimum requirements. That said I wear a Shoei X11. Fit's great, it's quiet, doesn't fog above walking speed, great vents. Unfortunately I also tested a Kiyonari X11 a couple of years ago. It's sitting with the other offerings to the God of speed. Now I have the solid color, but am itching to make the next one a graphics one, preferably on closeout.

My Arai 'Blue Tempest' saved every bit of my life doing its job sliding to a stop from 120mph. It wasn't a fun ride on any account, but it was truly part of the equation that saved my life that horrific day, July 19th 2005.

Crash2+Helmet+4+IV1253508582.jpg

Crash2+Helmet+4+III1253508600.jpg

A day I will never forget!

im willing to bet if your riding at the speed limits on public roads the dot and snell helmets are well more then quallified to keep u safe, now if your riding the track or breaking the law, u may want to call the manufacturer and find out all the specs on the helmets u like and ignor eveyone on here who has no facts on how they are tested anyway....i would do some research..and in the end u may find the 800$ helmet to be safer, u may find a 180$ helmet is safer...fit and comfort is what gets my purchase...can u say someone in a 280,000$ car is any safer in a 100mph wreck then a guy in a civic is?

That depends on what you paid $280,000 on. . . :poke: See, you gave the type of car for the lower model, but you just gave a dollar figure for the supposedly higher end. So if we're going to relate this question to the debate at hand let me ask you this. . . Can you say someone wearing a $1000 HJC CL-SP is any safer in a crash than someone wearing an HJC CL-SP?:whistle: Said $280,000 car (if it's a supercar) will most likely have some sort of racing seats, possibly race-style safety belts (3 point or 5 point), better roll over protection (I know that even the $80,000 BMW 6 series has pins that shoot out of the 4 corners to act as roll bars to keep the roof from caving in on occupants). And if it's a luxury $280,000 car then chances are it's bigger and heavier making it more resilient to damage and providing more crush zone to keep the occupants safer. So to answer your question. . . Yes.:poke: Oh, and can I ask why you put the "$" AFTER the numbers instead of before them where it belongs?

Honestly I really don't care about the debate, but it's 3:50am and I can't sleep and this post just seemed like a good one to mess with:laugh: I hope it's not taken the wrong way cause I don't mean anything by it, I'm just bored and felt like unnecessarily WAAAAY over elaborating a reply. . .

And if it's a luxury $280,000 car then chances are it's bigger and heavier making it more resilient to damage and providing more crush zone to keep the occupants safer. So to answer your question. . . Yes.:poke: Oh, and can I ask why you put the "$" AFTER the numbers instead of before them where it belongs?

He is refusing to recognize and demonstrate any inference of the education he has received in his lifetime to post his street cool gibberish.

Makes him cool,,, or so he thinks. I personally skip over unintelligent script or solid, unbroken paragraphs,,, but DJ is mostly pretty alright.

Great discussion!! All points thanks! I'm thinking about another helmet too! I have a ICON and a Scorpion. Scorpion was better in my opinion, but heavier! Now I have to sneak another helmet into the house :laugh:

Another big name I'm surprised no one has thrown in the ring is suomy, I've worn their stuff in the past and it saved me after sliding on my head at 80mph on asphalt (not my fault, I was doing the speed limit)

I swear by it now, won't wear anything but, my head means the world to me and it should to you as well, I'll gladly pay a few hundred more now to know that I'm protected later

theres a reason why they are so expensive, they are ranked no. 1 in JD Powers, lots and lots of testing go into those helmets, just not everyone has that much money to part with for one...if you have the extra cash i would go for it.....

for all those "how much is your life worth..." or "if you have a $100 head, but a $100 helmet" guys......from the SNELL website.

"What's the difference between a $100 Snell certified helmet and a $400 Snell certified Helmet.
While helmets are primarily a protective device, the true protective capabilities of a helmet, if needed will only come into play for about 2 to 4 milliseconds during the lifetime of the helmet. This leaves a lot of time for that helmet to be doing nothing more than sitting around on a users head. Producing a product that meets the standards is not really very difficult. Producing a helmet that people will buy and wear, and will consistently meet the standards is significantly more difficult. The Snell standards do not measure factors like comfort, ventilation, brand recognition or style, and only indirectly look at fit, weight, materials and workmanship. These are factors that frequently drive helmet cost. "

by what you like, and can afford....more money does not mean more protection....

for all those "how much is your life worth..." or "if you have a $100 head, but a $100 helmet" guys......from the SNELL website.

"What's the difference between a $100 Snell certified helmet and a $400 Snell certified Helmet.
While helmets are primarily a protective device, the true protective capabilities of a helmet, if needed will only come into play for about 2 to 4 milliseconds during the lifetime of the helmet. This leaves a lot of time for that helmet to be doing nothing more than sitting around on a users head. Producing a product that meets the standards is not really very difficult. Producing a helmet that people will buy and wear, and will consistently meet the standards is significantly more difficult. The Snell standards do not measure factors like comfort, ventilation, brand recognition or style, and only indirectly look at fit, weight, materials and workmanship. These are factors that frequently drive helmet cost. "

by what you like, and can afford....more money does not mean more protection....

and they all meet min. standards.......if you knew you had to be in a car wreck, would you rather be in a volvo or a kia?

Back