Built turbo bike with no intercooler ?

SuperSaiyan

Registered
So I'm brand new to the forum and also to these bikes, just got a built turbo Busa this past weekend . The bike is a top notch build, making great power, and has been put to the test a decent amount of times. The thing is it's not intercooled and has no meth injection, I was told it wasn't necessery unless your back to back beating it a lot ( I plan to basically just show it and get on it every now and again). I had a few forced induction vettes that were making big power and were intercooled and had meth injection, why are bikes different? . . Also only going to be running 8-10lbs .. Any shared knowledge appreciated !

Awesome question and I hope to learn a lot from the answer. But I can tell you that the higher boosted turbo kits for bikes are intercooled. At what point it becomes a necessity is what would be the best answer. With 8 to 10lbs and lower compression, you may not need the charge to cooled to avoid detonation. Check out the rcc super ultra kits versus the stage 1 and 2 kits. For instance, the tuner that mapped my bike had a 600ish hp bike that ran 30 lbs boost or something like that. It was really something to see with the intercooled plenum and injection neatness.

Nice little primer here. Intercoolers: Are They Worth It? - Hot Rod Magazine An interesting point they make about how much space you have to make the intercooler efficient and the parasitic loss of the charge having to go through the heat exchange. Under the tank and straight into the throttle bodies isn't much room to do that so the bike intercoolers must be super efficient.

You're going to have to run c16 to make power past 8-9psi without an intercooler. .. That can get expensive no doubt... Lots of turbo busas run intercoolers though. ...with an intercooler you can runright under 20lb on pump. .

You're going to have to run c16 to make power past 8-9psi without an intercooler. .. That can get expensive no doubt... Lots of turbo busas run intercoolers though. ...with an intercooler you can runright under 20lb on pump. .

Ya on 93 it's running 8psi & making 313rwhp, then they ran 21psi, filled it up with c16, and made 441rwhp. . . I'm never gonna run on anything more than pump & 8 psi and I'm not gonna track or drag it. . . So non intercooled is fine as long as I don't crank it up on pump gas ? Thanks

Yeah,what MR2liter said. My Gen1 doesnt have an intercooler and makes big power. But Im always aware of my surroundings and dont put the bike in a situation where it could fail from a lack of smarts on my part;I wouldnt lock the throttle in 6th gear for 3miles on a 95degree summer day,even on C16. Ultra plenum is next on my mod list.

Honestly SS,Id personally be much more concerned with that dual chain/jackshaft on the rear taking a **** and destroying your cases/leg. That wheel/tire is very heavy and I could see the chain(s) and second CS sprocket as a weak link(no pun intended lol). Ive seen those jackshaft equipped big tire arms destroy themselves on much much less horsepower than your pushing.

Yeah,what MR2liter said. My Gen1 doesnt have an intercooler and makes big power. But Im always aware of my surroundings and dont put the bike in a situation where it could fail from a lack of smarts on my part;I wouldnt lock the throttle in 6th gear for 3miles on a 95degree summer day,even on C16. Ultra plenum is next on my mod list.

Honestly SS,Id personally be much more concerned with that dual chain/jackshaft on the rear taking a **** and destroying your cases/leg. That wheel/tire is very heavy and I could see the chain(s) and second CS sprocket as a weak link(no pun intended lol). Ive seen those jackshaft equipped big tire arms destroy themselves on much much less horsepower than your pushing.

Well said. So for my short spirited bursts it should be fine....... Ya I was kinda especially concerned about the jackshaft chain. The bike has brand new ek chains on it cause under acceleration the jackshaft chain snapped and also screwed up the left engine cover, supposedly the chains only last 3k miles and are pricey to change..... Any alternatives with out changing swing arm? Do most turbo guys run osd?

93 octane, 8psi and it made 313 with a big tire on it? Either that dyno is WAY happy, or the guy that sold it to you isn't telling you the whole story. I would get that thing back on a dyno just to verify the tune. Even the 441 is on the high side. But seriously if have the tune checked. If it did make those numbers at those boost levels it's because it was super lean. I honestly think you would melt something before making 300hp @ 8psi unless is a big engine, or still has a lot of compression.

Who's turbo kit is on the bike.

And no, turbo guys don't run outside drives.

93 octane, 8psi and it made 313 with a big tire on it? Either that dyno is WAY happy, or the guy that sold it to you isn't telling you the whole story. I would get that thing back on a dyno just to verify the tune. Even the 441 is on the high side. But seriously if have the tune checked. If it did make those numbers at those boost levels it's because it was super lean. I honestly think you would melt something before making 300hp @ 8psi unless is a big engine, or still has a lot of compression.

I was thinking the exact same thing but I always catch hell when I start calling BS on someone's numbers so I kept quiet:whistle:

It's a built motor 9.1 compression, ported head with stage 2 cams. Started as a quick time pro street turbo kit then they made a custom plenum and bigger ss header. Also replaced the turbo with a precision 52mm billet, I looked at it again and it said 313 @ 8 - 10 psi ....... Tune seems fine, next time I'm out ill keep my eye on the afr's and see were its at

I was thinking the exact same thing but I always catch hell when I start calling BS on someone's numbers so I kept quiet:whistle:

No hell to be caught. I'm not BSing as boosted cycle said just going by what I'm told. Maybe it was dynoed on a generous dyno not sure, the bike runs really smooth and seems safe which is my main concern.... Honestly wether it's + / - 30hp it's still far more than I'm probably gonna use .......probably lol

c16 or E85 :D

Back