Buell Pegs STRESS TEST

GSX1300R-T

Members For Members
Donating Member
Registered
We can put to "rest" the strength issue of the Buell pegs once they are modified. I constructed a fixture to mount the peg. I used the same angle as the Busa. I used a hydraulic press to apply pressure to the outer most point of the peg. (the outer tip) The peg broke once the press reached approximately 500 lbs.

The point of this was to ease the "uneasy" thoughts that the peg is weakened after the grinding/polishing mod. As each can see,..........the peg broke no where near the modified area. The upper "ear" of the peg relies on "sheer" strength.

I also have a video of this actual test,............is anyone is interested.

stresstest.JPG

(GSXTacy @ Aug. 13 2007,19:07) Its a buell part, what did you expect!
I expected 350 to 400 lbs. to break the peg. As I mentioned,.........I applied the press to the outer most point,..........which is the weakest point. I am going to do another test with the remaining piece. My guess is 600 lbs. before it breaks. Stay tuned!!!!

(GSX1300R-T @ Aug. 13 2007,17:43) We can put to "rest" the strength issue of the Buell pegs once they are modified. I constructed a fixture to mount the peg. I used the same angle as the Busa. I used a hydraulic press to apply pressure to the outer most point of the peg. (the outer tip)  The peg broke once the press reached approximately 500 lbs.

The point of this was to ease the "uneasy" thoughts that the peg is weakened after the grinding/polishing mod. As each can see,..........the peg broke no where near the modified area. The upper "ear" of the peg relies on "sheer" strength.

Re-reading my post,.........typo on the word "sheer". The correct spelling is "SHEAR"!! Shear strength in engineering is a term used to describe the strength of a material or component against the type of yield or structural failure where the material or component fails in shear.

Sorry about the typo,.........too used to having "spell check"
tounge.gif

Wow a real test
beerchug.gif

How about putting in a stocker to compare?

(Professor @ Aug. 14 2007,09:21) Wow a real test  
beerchug.gif

How about putting in a stocker to compare?
You have read my mind. After I press the remaining piece of the Buell peg,.........I will move onto the Busa factory pegs. Should be interesting!! But either way,..........the pegs will support more weight than any one person could supply. I figure that it would take a 1000 lb. person,.....standing on the outer edge of these pegs,...(normal riding position-one foot on each peg) to break the Buell pegs. Not BAD!!!! By the way,........if anyone sees a 1000 lb. person riding a BUSA,.........let me know!
tounge.gif
I'd stop,.....and gladly let them go by.

(GSX1300R-T @ Aug. 13 2007,17:43) We can put to "rest" the strength issue of the Buell pegs once they are modified. I constructed a fixture to mount the peg. I used the same angle as the Busa. I used a hydraulic press to apply pressure to the outer most point of the peg. (the outer tip)  The peg broke once the press reached approximately 500 lbs.

Now THAT'S educating members so they may arrive at an informed decision. Props for the info... will probably need ot order a set after I get my Tobin...

(SnapAttack @ Aug. 14 2007,12:08)

Now THAT'S educating members so they may arrive at an informed decision. Props for the info... will probably need ot order a set after I get my Tobin...
Hey Thanks for the comment! IF you need a set ready to bolt-on,.......let me know. I just called the dealer,............my first order should arrive tomorrow. With all the advertising that I've done recently on these pegs,..........one might think I work for Buell.
tounge.gif
The truth is...............I really like my BUSA,...............and the pegs changed it into a bike that I truly love to ride now.

(GSX1300R-T @ Aug. 13 2007,19:14)
(GSXTacy @ Aug. 13 2007,19:07) Its a buell part, what did you expect!
I expected 350 to 400 lbs. to break the peg. As I mentioned,.........I applied the press to the outer most point,..........which is the weakest point. I am going to do another test with the remaining piece. My guess is 600 lbs. before it breaks.  Stay tuned!!!!
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This really surprised me! I pressed the second piece of the peg,.....near the pin. It took approximately 2500 lbs.,....YES,.....over 1 ton of pressure to shear the bushing and pin from the peg!! Any Questions??
tounge.gif

stresstest2.JPG

Back