Buell pegs mod didn't work for me

Big Wall

Registered
I'm 6'8" tall with a 38" inseam. More leg room is something I can definately use. I just got my Buell pegs, ground them down and mounted them. I didn't have much time, so I just went for a 50 mile ride to check them out.

Benefits:
1. They remove the strain from the knees.

2. My knees fit better into the pockets on the tank.

3. It was easier to tuck behind my windscreen because
my elbows didn't hit my knees as soon as with the stock
pegs.

Down falls:
1. They put more strain on my ankles and lower back.

2. The foot controlls can not be adjusted to where they
need to be. For the brake pedal the end of the
adjustment bold needs to be cut off to allow the pedal
to adjust further down. The shift lever can not be
adjusted far enough down. I adjusted it until it
just hit the kick stand when it was depressed and it still
wasn't far enough.

3. The pegs space your foot further out from the
mounting pin than the stock pegs do. Because of this
and the kick stand being so close to the shift lever now,
I had to go pigeon toed to catch the shift lever with just
the edge of my big toe to shift. It also felt a little strange
having my feet futher out from the bike. I would probably
get used to that over time though.

4. Because of the lower foot position the swing arm kept
hitting my heels on the rougher bumps.

5. The Buell pegs aren't as wide as the stock pegs, so
the outside of my boot hung over the edge more and
made it feel not as stabil as with the stock pegs.

If I was going to go an a very long road trip I would put the Buell pegs back on my bike. For local riding though, I am going to stick with the stock pegs. I did modify my stock pegs. Originally they put strain on my ankles because they rose up on the outside of the peg. I took my dremel, with a sanding drum on it, and ground the outer piece of rubber, that came up higher than the other ribs, down so that it was level with the other ribs. It was so easy to do that I decided to grind all of the ribs completely down. It gave me a completely smooth, flat rubber piece on my pegs and about 1/4", maybe 1/2", more leg room. Which is nice.

You may need to go with some adjustable rearsets rather then aftermarket pegs. You get more adjustability while still having your brake and shifter reachable. Look to spend about $300.

Why don't you look at the TL1000 pegs. They are similar to the busa peg but with a hard rubber surface that is about 3/4 in. lower than the stock. I had them on before I went to the buell pegs. They were much better than stock.

I have the Buell pegs on mine but was able to adjust the brake and shift levers low enough. I also had the "pigeon-toed" shifting experience, so I modified my shifter. Using a piece of aluminum tubing 2-1/2" long, I had the ID reamed to the same as the shifter after cutting the knob from the end of the lever and removing the rubber. Then the OD of the tubing was turned down to 1/2" and the tubing was polished smooth, slipped over the shifter and welded in place. A machine shop furnished the tubing and did the job for me for $22. Since doing that, I like the pegs a lot.

For those wanting a quick, cost-free improvement, I've posted here many times that simply removing the thick rubber pads from the stock pegs is very effective in lowering your feet and I didn't notice any negative side effects over the 4,000 miles I rode like that.

I have size 10-1/2 feet and only notice the heel-to-swing arm contact when I move my feet back until the balls of my feet are on the pegs. Actually, that occurred more easily with the stock pegs than with the lower, more outward Buells.

Ed

I noticed the same hassles listed above. I cut the brake bolt to suit , took a few mins with a dremel cut off wheel. On the shifter , I did a few things. I ground the resting stops for the kick stand so it would let the stand come up higher , giving more room to the shifter. Now the shifter hits more... now I ground the k stand and the back side of the shifer bar so it clears. Its not a ton off either and clears up that prob. I really like the tubing idea , Ill be looking into that this week. sj

smile.gif
Yeah Enough Freakin Wheaties Already...

Thanks for the update though bummer it didn;t work out for you. Seeing as I ride with my feet in and up this peg mod would have screwed me all up...

I'm still contemplating this mod. I wear a size 13 and I'm not sure what to do. Since it's a fairly inexpensive mod, I may just have to try it. A little added comfort is always a GOOD thing.

Brian

Back