Basics for passing ECTA LSR (Maxton) tech

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I hear of more and more riders wanting to come run LSR events and that's wonderful, until you get in the safety tech and forgot something. Usually it can be fixed in a few minutes with a little help and minimal resources.

Hopefully this might save you a little time and rushing to get something fixed.

Battery hold down strap:
The number one most common missed item IMO is the battery guard.
It can not be rubber, and has to be metal. A simple strap as shown will work fine.

100_1923.jpg

Metal chain guard:
This has to be to spec...Tiger Racing is a very good source for these chain guards and does list them to spec for Busa's

100_1927.jpg
100_1928.jpg

Steering stabilizer:
If you have a stock damper you're good to go

100_1918.jpg

Lanyard:

100_1920.jpg

Wire ties:
You need to wire tie all axles (I believe a castle nut is ok)
While the oil fill, drain, and filter are no longer required to be tied...your tech person does appreciate if they are and this is a good way to show a safe bike and obtain a couple brownie points.

100_1922.jpg
100_1924.jpg
100_1926.jpg

No antifreeze should ever be used on any race track due to slippery spills:

100_1925.jpg

Metal valve stems:

100_1931.jpg

I hope this helps clear up some confusion and helps those who wish to run.

100_1918.jpg

100_1919.jpg

100_1920.jpg

100_1922.jpg

100_1923.jpg

100_1924.jpg

100_1925.jpg

100_1926.jpg

100_1927.jpg

100_1928.jpg

100_1931.jpg

Yes it does, thanks.
I have Blanca just about all ready to go.
In fact she will meet specs posted for Mile-Marker 1 events held here in Miami.
All required things are wired, replaced coolant with non-glycol.
But I like the batt strap as well as kill switch.
These are not required nor mentioned in regs here but I would like to do them.
Strap is an obv thing I can manage but tell me how diff is it to install lanyard and killswitch ?

I don't think the lanyard has but a couple wires, BUT since this can cause some major malfunctions (shuts your bike off) at the least opportune time I had the shop do the install to make sure it is wired properly and securely. I don't think they charged but about $20 labor on this.

Last edited:
Yikes, one would think a stock Busa is safe and sound on the mile. I work right next to the Maxton strip and thought about the mile, but don't want to do that stuff to my baby.

Maybe next year and another bike specifically suited for this.???

Yeah, it was put in the gas and go until about two weeks ago then we made a spur of the moment decision...very spur of the moment, discussed it at lunch time and tore it down at dinner time.

Where do you get the lanyard and metal valve stems? Did you make the battery bracket? And how the hell are you suposed to saftey wire the front axle? Sorry lots of questions

Yikes, one would think a stock Busa is safe and sound on the mile. I work right next to the Maxton strip and thought about the mile, but don't want to do that stuff to my baby.

Maybe next year and another bike specifically suited for this.???

If you're working close by you should ride on in and see us. It's only $10 for the entire weekend if you're watching.

Where do you get the lanyard and metal valve stems? Did you make the battery bracket? And how the hell are you suposed to saftey wire the front axle? Sorry lots of questions

Lanyard was purchased at the local bike shop. Same with valve stems (don't try car valve stems, they are not always the same).

I did make the battery strap out of a simple strip of metal.

Safety wiring is not as difficult as it sounds...all it takes is a small drill bit and some wire (available at your local shop or at Harbor Freight)

here's a pic of the safety wire. Just use a 1/16 drill bit. Sorry I don't have a picture of the other side.

PA115363.jpg

Yes, as a matter of fact...we did a lot of research looking for a 19t front sprocket for Kevin (Tofas2C) and found that they were not manufacturing them for the Gen II...at least not at that time (everyone thought the 19t would not fit in the Gen II cover).

He did finally find a company that started making them, I'll ask if I talk with him tomorrow.
He is on the road right now...

BTW, if you're running anywhere close to stock HP you won't need a 19 on the front. It'd be better to run either stock size your first time down or maybe a 1 down in the rear.

Any more than that and it'll probably be a bit sluggish once you get into 5th and 6th gear.

Now if you are running a little extra HP then that's different~!~ :beerchug:

2010 Rule Book:

"All tire valve stems must be fitted with metal valve caps. Over 175 MPH, tubeless tires must use metal valve stems. Tube type tires with rubber valve stems that are angled relative to the rotational plane of the wheel must have those valve stems secures to resist centrifugal force deflection. Safety wire or other approved restraining device is required."

The way I am reading it I believe they would be ok since you are not running a tubed tire, but I will PM you a member's name you does tech at Maxton for clarification. She should be able to tell you for sure.

I've read that thing 50 times and it seems I always read something different. Gonna try to make it to the one in May, or maybe June if I have too. I do track days once a month also. It would suck to get there and not be able to run.

I was reading it again and it says "with rubber angles valve stems".

Since these are metal and angled, I would think they would be ok...

I don't see anything that specifies the metal stems can not be angled, but hate to tell you wrong so I would run it by Deb just to be sure.

You'll probably get a lot of hot lapping in June, too hot for most in leathers~!~ That's one we usually don't even plan to go to. I'll be hitting the lake during that month :laugh:

I've read that thing 50 times and it seems I always read something different.

Yes, I think we all find something missed every time we read it the first time out and that's kind of the purpose of this thread.

I'd say 25% of people miss the battery strap the first time out. It's just not something you think heavily about when reading the rule book~!~

I just hope this saves someone a little time going through tech the first day and let's you get that extra run in without having to take the time to track down that extra piece you need...

Back