Getting ready for the 2008 season

SGVridgerunner

Registered
Hey guys,

2008 marks my first season in SCTA racing. I'll be running 1350P-P class and have no intentions of being competitive this year. I just want to learn the bike and the sport this season.

With that being said, I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I need to watch out for going in to my first event. I have my club membership, PMR lanyard switch, SCTA legal suit, LSR rated chainguard, metal valve stems, safety wire, and tires. Anything else I'm missing for tech? I am having some problems with the battery mount though. How are you guys strapping it down? I was thinking about a spring-loaded metal strip mounted to the seat to act as the metal tie-down. Would this pass? I can't find a kit online, and I have limited machinery in my garage for fab work.

See you guys out there.
Dave

Hey Dave,

It'll be great to have you out in the dirt. There are a few LSR folks here.

I wrote up a couple How-To's for El Mirage last year. Search on the org for "El Mirage Rookie Process" or something similar to that. You should find them (probably in this section).

You'll be racing against a great bunch of folks. I have several "would you believe the generosity of these folks" stories as will you.

Don't miss rookie orientation......

I have some writeups on my myspace page too. myspace.com\sanmiguelracing

Any questions - don't even hesitate to ask. LSR folks (and the org folks too!) are very kind and always ready to help.

I can show you how to make you a battery holddown if you like. Lemme take some pics for you.

What shop capability do you have? You'll only need a hacksaw, vise, and a hand file (and a local hardware store).

I sell them if you'd prefer to buy but I'll show you how to build it yourself, no worries.

Awesome
thumb_up.gif
Thanks a lot.
Yeah, I have a hack saw, vice, Dremel, etc, just no sheers, welder, surface grinders, etc. I was worried I was going to have to weld a box with threaded inserts and stuff.

Friend request sent on Myspace. I'm stoked, this is the whole reason we bought the 'Busa. I'm hoping to make the BUB event in September too.

I just had a buddy go down hard at Maxton this weekend. Lots of broken bones. He had been riding longer than I have been alive. Be careful!

Definitely have to be careful. When I say that though...I kinda think it's silly..

My "other Dad" (raised me too) told me he was proud of me but that he worried about me. I said "I'm careful" and he said "yeah everything's ok until it's not ok".

Wise words -

Running LSR is the whole reason I bought my Busa too.

I just had a buddy go down hard at Maxton this weekend.  Lots of broken bones.  He had been riding longer than I have been alive. Be careful!
This happened during the event? This is the first I've heard this news. I hope he's all right. Can you shed some light as to what happned.

I just had a buddy go down hard at Maxton this weekend.  Lots of broken bones.  He had been riding longer than I have been alive. Be careful!
This happened during the event? This is the first I've heard this news. I hope he's all right. Can you shed some light as to what happned.
Not exactly sure what happened yet. He went to set a top speed record for a 500cc Buell (113mph+ I think) and he wrecked pretty hard and broke a lot of bones. He is in his mid 60's. I am just assuming that he wrecked while attempting the record, I haven't recieved all of the details yet.

I hope things work out for him and he's still able to stay in the sport.

Pass along any details that you find out about the causes of his crash when you find out. I honestly feel it's good to share these things with others so they might take steps to try and prevent this from happening again.

This didn't happen at a Maxton Event(there's never been a Buell donw at our course).
Maybe he was practicing to run at an event?

There are no "Buell" records perse, but the classes a Buell Blast would run in(500cc pushrod classes) had noone enter in them at the last event except Pushrod Tom which ran in a turbo class, and heleft there fully intact and with the record.

300Busa, very sorry to hear about the injuries... what is your friend's name?
Todd

Wow, looks like someone's been playing with my account...
Says I live in North Alabama and my signature has me owning Busa, Ninja and Dodge... No chance on any of the four!!!!! Ok, maybe the Busa - lol.
Todd

This didn't happen at a Maxton Event(there's never been a Buell donw at our course).
Maybe he was practicing to run at an event?

There are no "Buell" records perse, but the classes a Buell Blast would run in(500cc pushrod classes) had noone enter in them at the last event except Pushrod Tom which ran in a turbo class, and heleft there fully intact and with the record.

300Busa, very sorry to hear about the injuries... what is your friend's name?
Todd
His name was Harold Judy. If you know any details, let me know. He may have been on a different bike when he went down.

Wow, looks like someone's been playing with my account...
Says I live in North Alabama and my signature has me owning Busa, Ninja and Dodge... No chance on any of the four!!!!! Ok, maybe the Busa - lol.
Todd
everyones account said that yesterday. I had to change mine myself.

His name was Harold Judy.  If you know any details, let me know.  He may have been on a different bike when he went down.
I checked the run log and can't find any names that even sond like his.
Thanks for your help. It must have happened away from the track then. All I know is that he wrecked his bike and won't be able to return to work for at least 2 months. He had taken some days off work to go down there with the buell. He is in to drag racing his sportster usually and he had bought/built the buell just to see how fast he could go. Thanks again for looking into that.

-Randy

Commuta Busa's got it right. Sorry to here about Harold and I'm guessing Deb will want some specifics if they're available once she can get on here (nosey damn girl).

Please let us know if you hear more (someone from here will pass the word or Deb will catch it, I only signed on because of a half dozen emails I got on this), and I hope he heals fast and fully. I'd be interested in his Sportster racing as well... we've ran one of Deb's Buells before, helped a couple other friends that hold some of those records (and would be glad to give him a couple thoughts if he's interested), and I still run my 1976 1000cc Sportster there (always room for another sportster to run with us!).
Todd

Ok, small problem. Just got contacted by the shop making my leathers. The suit will not be done by the 17th.
banghead.gif

Does anybody know of a place to rent SCTA - legal leathers?
please.gif

Is Vanson making yours?

I used ZcustomLeathers and they got mine done in three weeks. I had to pay their staff the overtime but the leathers were on-time and top-notch.

You might have a bit of luck just showing up and asking around if anyone can help. It sounds last-ditch but it isn't as last-ditch as you think.

What SCTA club are you in?

Back