newb has questions about lsr

FTMFW

Registered
ive got an 08 busa set up for drag racing, but at the end of the season i'd like to try this maxton mile deal. so far it looks like metal battery strap and metal valve stems are the only 'must-haves' that i dont have done, i can wire tie everything, coolants already changed. ill have to change sprockets for sure, but what type of top speed can i hope for? im about 310lbs suited, bike is stretched 6", stock motor with a 40 shot. also is there an 'all-inclusive' dedicated website for the maxton mile, and last off, where the hell is it?!?!?!

ecta-lsr.com, and it's near the NC SC border about the middle of the state:laugh: girly directions, I know, Sorry, not a LSR, best I can do.

As mentioned there's a site for the ECTA which runs the Maxton events (see link above). You've got the main safety things covered. Also proper gear is critical. If you've got a shinko tire on the bike you may want to swap a more LSR friendly tire on there. As far as possible speed at the mile mark really depends on your gearing and the entire package. My guess would be 180's? that's just a complete guess though. Get yourself an ECTA membership and they'll send you the rule book for you to review and prep your bike for inspection.

I might make the Sept. event so if I'm there I'll help you any way I can. :beerchug: Everyone there is supper friendly and the events can become addicting.

Landracing.com - Home is where the most LSR folks hang out. There is an ECTA section on there and the folks that run the show post up there very often.

Get a rule book and ask questions. I don't know if the new SCTA tire rule affects ECTA but if it does you will need race rubber. If not, stock ZR rated rubber is fine. I 2nd the non-shinko suggestion (don't know if you have one or not).

Safety wire both sides of the front axle, the pinch bolts, some folks do the caliper bolts and fork tube pinch bolts but I don't think you have to. The '08 has a locknut on the rear axle instead of a castle nut so you should drill and pin it or drill and wire it. Some LSR events also require you to safety wire the oil fill cap, oil drain plug, and oil filter but again, check the rule book to be sure. Not a bad idea to drill and wire that stuff anyway (use a hose clamp on the oil filter and wire to that).

ummmm let's see. you will need a kill switch lanyard (you probably already have one). You *might* need fireproof covering on the fuel lines but that might be an SCTA thing. you got the coolant deal covered... ummmmm.... Check the req's on leathers. SCTA is all cow all the time (no holes). ECTA is probably more allowing of cooling on the leathers. You need leather gloves, boots, etc. Also check the requirements on the 1 piece vs. two piece leathers and what the zipper requirement is for the two piece.

Oh the metal battery hold down (lots of ways to do this).

As for what speed? anywhere from 125-200 :) No way to know but everyone usually goes out there thinking they are going to run 200 and they disheartened to run 168 or whatever. If you are an accomplished racer, you will do well. A mile goes by quick though. Bring a selection of sprockets and a laptop for tuning if you have a wideband setup on it.

LSR folks will help you with anything. If you get stuck, resist the urge to pack it up and turn to whomever is next to you and ask "hey do you have a generator and an EZ UP?" (oh yeah, bring shade) and they'll likely have it and happily lend it or share with you.

ECTA hasn't adopted the new SCTA tire addendum. If they do it most likely will not happen until next years race season. I wouldn't worry about that one. Just go by the current ECTA rules.

Fireproof cover needed on unvalved portions of fuel line.

ECTA allows perforated leathers and the common cloth panels in off the rack manufactured suits. Extra protective armor needed over 175 mph. 2 piece leathers need a full 270 degree zipper but despite the rule book it does not need to be metal.

Get an ECTA rule book for $10 and read it several times.

Like Shane says, have a good attitude and willingness to listen/learn and ask and there's almost nothing we can't get fixed at the track to get you through tech if you've done your best before you come out.

Debbie

Back