Average price for replacing second gear?

cbibb

Registered
A frind of mine has a 06 that second gear has gone out on. I can pull the engine for him but I've never been inside one of the engines. We called a local shop and they quoted 1800. I thought that was a little high but I have no idea honestly. What is about the average price to get this done? Thanks guys

That is probably pretty close to what most places charge. If I remember correctly I have seen from $1400 to around $2000. A lot will depend on the hourly rate of the shop doing the work and if the motor is in the bike or not.

That is probably pretty close to what most places charge. If I remember correctly I have seen from $1400 to around $2000. A lot will depend on the hourly rate of the shop doing the work and if the motor is in the bike or not.

Yea that sounds right. My second gear went out as well as first. it was just under 2k. so thats about right. thing is though i also replaced the shift rod with a brock shift rod because the stock one which is hollow was bent. dont be surprised if it is bent on yours too. hard launches do this. the brock one is solid so it aint going no place.

If you are lightly mechanically inclined....you can pull it yourself and know exactly how it was done. I used Fast by Gast to cut both of mine. My 06 was due to second gear going out. My 05 was due to adding more power.

You only need to pull the lower case off.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/130428-engine-out-split.html

There is a lot of info and very knowledgeable people on this sight and you can ask questions as you go.......as you can see by my attempt, I left out a bolt....lol

I labeled all my lines before pulling the engine, took pics, and made bolt holder templates so I knew to put every bolt back in the same hole it came out of.....well except for the 1.....lol

its the labor gettn in there thats expensive not the parts necessarily. might as well back cut, upgrade to tool steel shift shafts and upgrade to billet output shaft while in there imo.

I had to spend more on tools to remove the engine then the actual cost of fixing the problem. under 100$ if you pull the motor and split the case yourself. Its not difficult by any means. just get a book, follow the instructions, take your time and buy a good torq wrench. I send mine to Robinson. He has been awesome to work with. There are shops that claim to do tranny work that send them to him.

check inbox and lmk I can sort this for you. I can even send a tranny in, have all work done, he can ride till it's back then pull motor to ship... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback guys, Im going to do some research in doing it myself. I replied to the pm Daniel, thanks bro!

If you plan to do this yourself, be sure to get all your parts together before starting your endeavor (just words from someone who has done this many times).

Be sure you have quality torque wrenches
Get a Service Manual (I recommend the one straight from Suzuki)
Gaskets
Suzuki Bond (1207B)
Replacement Circlips for the trans
(Recommended) Billet Shift Shafts
(Recommended) Back Cut Tranny Gear(s)
If you plan on adding more high HP mods in the future - a Billet Output shaft would be a good idea (so you don't have to crack back into the tranny again just to do this)

Also, fit a traditional automotive engine stand with some angle iron and you can mount the engine right to it. This way you can flip it upside down and work on it without taking up bench space. :thumbsup:

Good Luck Brother!!

If you plan to do this yourself, be sure to get all your parts together before starting your endeavor (just words from someone who has done this many times).

Be sure you have quality torque wrenches
Get a Service Manual (I recommend the one straight from Suzuki)
Gaskets
Suzuki Bond (1207B)
Replacement Circlips for the trans
(Recommended) Billet Shift Shafts
(Recommended) Back Cut Tranny Gear(s)
If you plan on adding more high HP mods in the future - a Billet Output shaft would be a good idea (so you don't have to crack back into the tranny again just to do this)

Also, fit a traditional automotive engine stand with some angle iron and you can mount the engine right to it. This way you can flip it upside down and work on it without taking up bench space. :thumbsup:

Good Luck Brother!!

I never disassembled the tranny myself - always just sent the whole thing out to have it worked on and let the experts do the work.

As for manual - I perfer the Clymer manual but i have and use both.

+1 on everything else!

Down load the manual. Ive done mine twice, and the second time was really easy. Pulled the motor one day, and the next day took it apart. started about 9am, and put fully put back together by 2pm. And the next day motor was put back in.

Back