Anyone have issues with Shinko 005's being out of round?

xchief1320

Registered
I bought one from Cyclegear last week and after putting it on my 08 it was so out of round/egg shaped it felt like the bike was going to buck me off it. I took it back and exchanged it for another one. The second one was way better but after putting 50 miles on it this tire is out of round as well, I could tell from the start it was slightly egg shaped but thought maybe it was due to storage and would regain it's shape after a few miles. At low speed turns you can feel it wobble and when I put it on the rear stand and with the bike in gear you can see the tire runout.

Both tires are the same batch # but different dates. Anyone else have this issue?

busa_black

Registered
I have set of Shinko Raven's on my bike. I have about 100 miles on them. The mechanic was laughing that I went from 4 weights with the OEM tire, to 2 (two) sets of weights for the Shinko. I'm gonna get a set of Pilot Powers. Be careful, I don't trust them....

xchief1320

Registered
The first 005 I had used 1.75 oz of weight on it. The second one used 1 oz.

I think i'm going to go with BT016's again. Ran them on my last bike and loved them. I only went to the 005 because of what others have said about them with big bikes.

jphilipson

Registered
I have set of Shinko Raven's on my bike. I have about 100 miles on them. The mechanic was laughing that I went from 4 weights with the OEM tire, to 2 (two) sets of weights for the Shinko. I'm gonna get a set of Pilot Powers. Be careful, I don't trust them....

The old "you get what you pay for" rules applies to tires too :rulez:

no Shinko's for me!

shadetree57

Registered
I put a Shinko On the rear awhile back and at slow speed it seems to be a little out of round. I don't notice it at higher speeds but I did have to use , In my opinion, to much weight balancing it. I think I'll go back with brigestones next time.

afterhours

Registered
we don't balance the tires on the race bike....works fine, tested up to 150mph.

the addage "you get what you pay for" always applies....however, logic tells you why buy more than you need....

sure, i could by the same tires the AMA pro's use.....but why? if my skill levels won't allow me use them to thier potential. buying the latest spec race tires is a waste of money if your riding to work and back, with an occasional sunday run thru the mountains .

shadetree57

Registered
we don't balance the tires on the race bike....works fine, tested up to 150mph.

the addage "you get what you pay for" always applies....however, logic tells you why buy more than you need....

sure, i could by the same tires the AMA pro's use.....but why? if my skill levels won't allow me use them to thier potential. buying the latest spec race tires is a waste of money if your riding to work and back, with an occasional sunday run thru the mountains .
Good Point. I ran mine up to 150 by the speedo after I put the shinko on and it did fine. Just a slow speed bounce but nothing serious.

afterhours

Registered
i have recently bought (2) MT shootout tires at $230.00 each.....only to get 2-3 passes on them before they started coming apart. seems they had been sitting on shelf for a really long time....

i really hate to disparage one tire brand on the failures of a few tires....i mean if you think back about that "Firestone" tire issue on Ford Explorers.....which turned out to be mostly due to drivers driving on under-inflated tires....you can se how badly things can get out of hand.

stepaukob

Registered
I bought an 005 for the rear last year. The guy who balanced it told me he had to use a lot of weight (he left the weights that were on it plus added and extra ounce).

I've never had any issues with the tire but I use mine mostly for cranking wheelies around town.

The guy at the shop gave me a hard time for buying Shinko instead of buying one of his tires. He also initially refused to mount the tire without letting him take it off and installing it ($145.00 for labor alone).

I started walking out the door before he agreed to mount and balance it with me bringing in the tire and wheel. I think I paid him $25.00 to mount and balance. I think I still overpaid him but there's no one else around except stealerships.

I'll probably get flack for this one but I'm going to use the Dynabeads on the front. I just took off the front tire and noticed the person before me added them and I never noticed a balance issue. I bought the beads off fleabay. If they don't work I'll take the tire off and have it balanced.

xchief1320

Registered
Ended up swapping it out for a BT016. HOPEFULLY this will be the last time I have the rear wheel off for a while..lol..

Cycle Gear looked out for me and I only had to pay the difference between the 2 tires. I personally won't be running anymore Shinko's. Maybe I had a bad batch but it's not worth the hassle for the 26 dollar difference.. I only tried them because of the rave reviews others gave me on them

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
captain Anyone having any issues on the site Random Thoughts 18
mike miller Anyone running dual fans have charging issues Electrical Mods 2
captain Anyone Having Site Issues? Random Thoughts 10
captain Anyone Having Access Issues? Random Thoughts 5
Road Weazel Anyone in Arizona Hack ECUs? Major Issues With ECU Editior... General Bike Related Topics 1
G Anyone else have any build quality issues? Gen II Busa Information 22
Turbo-Torch Anyone having issues with ebay? Random Thoughts 2
mike miller Anyone run the drain to right side of pan Turbo 0
StreetShark Does anyone know how to disassemble these joints? Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 9
hayabuser Planet Of The Apes, anyone? Off Topic 2
M anyone have any libertek diamond brake lights they want to sell General Bike Related Topics 1
M anyone good with led repairs..I have libertek diamond leds...need led repairing help Electrical Mods 1
D Anyone use a billet outer clutch basket? Engine and Performance mods 2
Kiwi Rider Anyone seen Allen Millyard's Extraordinary Hand Built Bikes? Videos 13
J Has anyone successfully ran a ventless cap? Busa Mods 5
J Gen 2 ecu editor tiforce 4-2-1 .bin file. Anyone have one? Dyno Kings 2
H Hi , just wondering if anyone knows if a Gen1 Akrapovic Evolution full Titanium exhaust will fit a Gen2 k9? Gen II Busa Information 1
Kidbusa32 Anyone wanna go for a boston run on this beautiful Monday morning ?? Lowell ,ma General Bike Related Topics 1
PADEROLIS Help with Rostra Cruise Control! Captain, TwoTonevert, Sous, Anyone! General Bike Related Topics 63
WuzzaCBXRider Anyone get a stimulus check? In the News 30
Dopey Anyone removed decals on red and white 2014?? General Bike Related Topics 3
SSGT_B Vittles Anyone? Off Topic 20
GAmedic Anyone here know him? Off Topic 4
SSGT_B Anyone use TopYokes UK? General Bike Related Topics 114
M can anyone tell me more about this airbox mod? General Bike Related Topics 27
C Has anyone ever attempted to straighten a bent wheel? Gen II Busa Information 15
Kidbusa32 Anyone ever had there bike vandalized?? Off Topic 10
Bumblebee Ghosts, anyone believe... Random Thoughts 11
pashnit Anyone have Gen-II Headlight to sell? Gen II Busa Information 1
pashnit Anyone make Rim Letters? General Bike Related Topics 9
J Anyone Know What This Make this Jump Start Setup is? Gen II Busa Information 6
Hauie Anyone here had luck with battery tender lithium battery brand? General Bike Related Topics 23
Turbo Bob Anyone Using the New EK 530Z 3D Chain? Turbo 45
J Anyone In The UK Got Nice Bright LED Indicators? Gen II Busa Information 2
WuzzaCBXRider Anyone looking for some size 12 Jordans? Random Thoughts 3
F Anyone tuned for pump e85 on a stock gen 2 engine?. Gen II Busa Information 10
U Anyone here into Watches? Post up your collection Off Topic 32
WuzzaCBXRider Kia Stinger AWD GT2, anyone drive one? Off Topic 38
K Anyone with helibars and buell pegs around Dayton? General Bike Related Topics 5
WuzzaCBXRider Does anyone know what this guy means? General Bike Related Topics 6
WuzzaCBXRider New helmet anyone? General Bike Related Topics 20
U Anyone running Dry sump with Pressure Stage? Engine and Performance mods 11
MyXisACunt Anyone know this bike? Turbo 3
Notenoughtoys Ozeldersiste - anyone order from them ? Riding Gear 1
greg3852 Anyone run GP shift? General Bike Related Topics 23
Bumblebee Anyone into RC aircraft? The Playground 12
greg3852 Anyone have GPS? General Bike Related Topics 3
Odin Anyone know how to actual resolve an issue with Facebook? Random Thoughts 29
Getn off Dragon run. Anyone? Off Topic 20
Dopey Saddlemen track gel channel, anyone have one General Bike Related Topics 12