Anyone have issues with Shinko 005's being out of round?

xchief1320

Registered
I bought one from Cyclegear last week and after putting it on my 08 it was so out of round/egg shaped it felt like the bike was going to buck me off it. I took it back and exchanged it for another one. The second one was way better but after putting 50 miles on it this tire is out of round as well, I could tell from the start it was slightly egg shaped but thought maybe it was due to storage and would regain it's shape after a few miles. At low speed turns you can feel it wobble and when I put it on the rear stand and with the bike in gear you can see the tire runout.

Both tires are the same batch # but different dates. Anyone else have this issue?

Here is a video I took on my phone showing what it's doing.

- video-2010-03-01-10-03-58[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have set of Shinko Raven's on my bike. I have about 100 miles on them. The mechanic was laughing that I went from 4 weights with the OEM tire, to 2 (two) sets of weights for the Shinko. I'm gonna get a set of Pilot Powers. Be careful, I don't trust them....

The first 005 I had used 1.75 oz of weight on it. The second one used 1 oz.

I think i'm going to go with BT016's again. Ran them on my last bike and loved them. I only went to the 005 because of what others have said about them with big bikes.

I have set of Shinko Raven's on my bike. I have about 100 miles on them. The mechanic was laughing that I went from 4 weights with the OEM tire, to 2 (two) sets of weights for the Shinko. I'm gonna get a set of Pilot Powers. Be careful, I don't trust them....

The old "you get what you pay for" rules applies to tires too :rulez:

no Shinko's for me!

I put a Shinko On the rear awhile back and at slow speed it seems to be a little out of round. I don't notice it at higher speeds but I did have to use , In my opinion, to much weight balancing it. I think I'll go back with brigestones next time.

we don't balance the tires on the race bike....works fine, tested up to 150mph.

the addage "you get what you pay for" always applies....however, logic tells you why buy more than you need....

sure, i could by the same tires the AMA pro's use.....but why? if my skill levels won't allow me use them to thier potential. buying the latest spec race tires is a waste of money if your riding to work and back, with an occasional sunday run thru the mountains .

we don't balance the tires on the race bike....works fine, tested up to 150mph.

the addage "you get what you pay for" always applies....however, logic tells you why buy more than you need....

sure, i could by the same tires the AMA pro's use.....but why? if my skill levels won't allow me use them to thier potential. buying the latest spec race tires is a waste of money if your riding to work and back, with an occasional sunday run thru the mountains .
Good Point. I ran mine up to 150 by the speedo after I put the shinko on and it did fine. Just a slow speed bounce but nothing serious.

i have recently bought (2) MT shootout tires at $230.00 each.....only to get 2-3 passes on them before they started coming apart. seems they had been sitting on shelf for a really long time....

i really hate to disparage one tire brand on the failures of a few tires....i mean if you think back about that "Firestone" tire issue on Ford Explorers.....which turned out to be mostly due to drivers driving on under-inflated tires....you can se how badly things can get out of hand.

I bought an 005 for the rear last year. The guy who balanced it told me he had to use a lot of weight (he left the weights that were on it plus added and extra ounce).

I've never had any issues with the tire but I use mine mostly for cranking wheelies around town.

The guy at the shop gave me a hard time for buying Shinko instead of buying one of his tires. He also initially refused to mount the tire without letting him take it off and installing it ($145.00 for labor alone).

I started walking out the door before he agreed to mount and balance it with me bringing in the tire and wheel. I think I paid him $25.00 to mount and balance. I think I still overpaid him but there's no one else around except stealerships.

I'll probably get flack for this one but I'm going to use the Dynabeads on the front. I just took off the front tire and noticed the person before me added them and I never noticed a balance issue. I bought the beads off fleabay. If they don't work I'll take the tire off and have it balanced.

Last edited:
Ended up swapping it out for a BT016. HOPEFULLY this will be the last time I have the rear wheel off for a while..lol..

Cycle Gear looked out for me and I only had to pay the difference between the 2 tires. I personally won't be running anymore Shinko's. Maybe I had a bad batch but it's not worth the hassle for the 26 dollar difference.. I only tried them because of the rave reviews others gave me on them

Back