anyone ever lost control at high speeds

The most memorable was at 120 or 125 going over an overpass in the fast lane in a slight right turn. The road was bumpy and the bike got airbore for a second. When it landed I was in the emergency lane heading for the center divider. I pushed hard with my right hand and the bike countersteered right back into the lane.

Got to love this busa.

(brad @ Jan. 15 2007,21:11) The most memorable was at 120 or 125 going over an overpass in the fast lane in a slight right turn.  The road was bumpy and the bike got airbore for a second.  When it landed I was in the emergency lane heading for the center divider.  I pushed hard with my right hand and the bike countersteered right back into the lane.

Got to love this busa.
Glad you came out of it ok!
crazy.gif

(motogp08 @ Jan. 15 2007,18:38) One more dumb question, there are high sides and low sides too. Somebody want to tell me what they are?
rock.gif
Lowsides generally happen going into corners. Washing out the front tire because of too much brake while leaning into the corner.

Highsides generally happen on the exits of corners. Stepping out the rear because of too much throttle, then chopping the throttle when the rider feels the rear sliding out, then the rear grips instantly, bike straightens instantly, rider goes for a skyhigh toss.

Lowsiding means you basically laid the bike down on the pavement.

Highside means the bike tosses the rider out of his seat.

(motogp08 @ Jan. 15 2007,21:54)
(Justyntym @ Jan. 15 2007,19:51) So what actually causes a tank slaper?

And what about the steering dampener?
That question X2!
biggrin.gif
I was wide open throttle in 3rd gear and at the same moment I shifted into 4th gear my front tire hit a little pothole in the road and sent the bike into a violent shake.  

It is caused by this.  The tire is spinning so fast that it wants to go straight (ever try to turn your wheel going 80mph, it just doesn't want to), so when I was on the throttle and taking weight off of the front suspension the tire turned a little bit when it hit the pothole....then the bike automaticly tries to correct it back straight....but it went too far, so it tries to go back the other way....then it just keeps repeating, causing a "tank slapper".

The steering dampener is what actually saved me. If I didn't have one, it would have been much more violent and it wouldn't have been pretty.

high speeds and trees don't play well together. I was chasing some friends when I missed a curve. I hit the brakes but the rear end started to wash out so I went for the opening in the guard rail. Once I was off roading it all went to a blur but then I went airborne and saw the tree just before I hit it. Three days in the hospital, broken leg in four places, four months out of work, two months on light duty and the better part of a year on crutches. NOT FUN

HPIM0147__Medium_.JPG

(jwcfbd @ Jan. 17 2007,13:29) high speeds and trees don't play well together.   I was chasing some friends when I missed a curve.  I hit the brakes but the rear end started to wash out so I went for the opening in the guard rail.  Once I was off roading it all went to a blur but then I went airborne and saw the tree just before I hit it.  Three days in the hospital, broken leg in four places, four months out of work, two months on light duty and the better part of a year on crutches.  NOT FUN
Now this post makes sense. When I saw the title of this thread I had to fight the urge to post, "Yeah and I died".
Most riders will never encounter a speed wobble, you may get a shimmy but a speed wobble can happen so fast and violently that it can pitch you off the bike before you know what happened. Also referred to as death wobble, I have only seen it on film and read about it. Apparently HD has a class action law suit pending because of this. A good steering dampner is a must.

Oh Dude, you and jwcfbd make me cringe! A picture is worth a whole bunch of words, I know that had to hurt. Look at the branch sticking out of the vent in the fairing!

sorry, had to go puke after looking at those xrays. my dumbazz has had a few issues slowing from high speeds. the busa likes to go, but not stop. downshifting will kick the azz out too.
wow.gif

iamwithstupid.gif

I learned that one on my Katana I used to own. I don't down shift until I am WELL within the safe range and actually give a slight throttle input. Locking up a rear tire is not fun. The front is worse, but neither is good.

Just gotta hand it to ya. That is a BEAUTIFUL bike. Looks like you did a LOT of work to her!  

Yes, it took a long time and was hard to get rid of her but was all worth it when this was in the back of the truck a week after the sale!!
beerchug.gif
Yep that's my view in the back of the El Camino when I'm travelling.  Oh...in red and black of course......

Spudley
Las Vegas
05' r/b

"RUBBER SIDE DOWN ALL THE TIME !!!".

I was heading home with my Busa right after I bought it and it was late at night. I was on 55 highway getting onto 270 and they graded the road and put new asphalt down and the off ramp was much higher than the rest of the road. I did not realize how high it was. I was going around 80 and it felt like hitting a curb. Steering jerked and tank slapped a little. Next week work was still not finished on road but had a motorcycles beware sign. Bet someone did not fair as well as I did to get sign put up. Pretty sure the steering damper saved me from a hard spill. I love that little thing.

Back