Traction Control

Terrydlm

Registered
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a Traction Control unit for an 05 Haybusa using the STANDARD Suzuki ECU?

I have this engine in my space frame racing car & its rather lively and traction control would be a benefit. At this time i don't want to put a 3rd party ECU if i can help it.

Thanks in advance
beerchug.gif

I haven't heard of any.

You're probably better off asking some racers or racing teams. It ain't cheap and they're the only one who can afford it.

I did get a price from a UK company and they wanted about £1000 or $2000 which it rather steep i feel !

4 wheel sensors & a 'clever' rev limiter is all it needs surely ?

Yes your right Charlesbusa i guess the drag racing guys use them but i suppose they dont use the stock ECU ?

(Terrydlm @ Dec. 04 2006,10:01) I did get a price from a UK company and they wanted about £1000 or $2000 which it rather steep i feel !

4 wheel sensors & a 'clever' rev limiter is all it needs surely ?

Yes your right Charlesbusa i guess the drag racing guys use them but i suppose they dont use the stock ECU ?
Actually I think road racers use them more heavily than drag racers. I think most drag racers just slip the clutch.

Hopefully someone will know. It would be nice especially for the rain to be able to keep pushing without worrying about the back end over taking the front !

(Terrydlm @ Dec. 04 2006,10:08) Hopefully someone will know. It would be nice especially for the rain to be able to keep pushing without worrying about the back end over taking the front !
Good Idea, but traction control will not stop your losing control in the wet. You can still over power the conditions with any device including ABS brakes.

I would think retrofiting a traction control on a bike NOT designed for it would be mighty $$$$$ spendy  
wink.gif
. Along with not working exactly right unless you did alot of R$D yourself setting it up. And not many of us are capable of doing that without lots of $$$ and sensors attached to the bike.

Sorry to be a wet (pun intended
laugh.gif
) blanket  
sad.gif

(DaCol. @ Dec. 04 2006,12:09)
(Terrydlm @ Dec. 04 2006,10:08) Hopefully someone will know. It would be nice especially for the rain to be able to keep pushing without worrying about the back end over taking the front !
Good Idea, but traction control will not stop your losing control in the wet. You can still over power the conditions with any device including ABS brakes.

I would think retrofiting a traction control on a bike NOT designed for it would be mighty $$$$$ spendy
wink.gif
. Along with not working exactly right unless you did alot of R$D yourself setting it up. And not many of us are capable of doing that without lots of $$$ and sensors attached to the bike.

Sorry to be a wet (pun intended
laugh.gif
) blanket
sad.gif
You would be correct if talking about Traction Control on a bike, however, reading his first post, he wants to retrofit/fabricate a TC for a Kart.

Terry, since the Busa didnt come with TC, I doubt you would be able to do it using the stock ECU. You may find a piggyback system though. Too bad it wasn't being powered by a BMW or Goldwing powerplant.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Its not a Kart but a Car. Something called a Mallock made in Northampton in the UK. Light weight space frame construction.

I found one unit in the UK that i am told would work but at $2000 it's expensive. I can buy a DTA management system for less that has traction control built in but that would be lots of work too but looks like that will have to be the way to go which i guess makes sense.

Bouley2000_2.jpg

Not an up to date picture as this has a heavy car engine in!

Find a friend who's a computer engineer and has some experience with embedded systems... this can probably be done for a few hundred $.

Just need some way to tap into / interface with the ecu and get it to reduce/kill engine power. Then some way to sense wheelspin and a microcontroller to manage everything.

How do electric/air shifting systems cut engine power for shifting? A power commander can do that right?

My electric flat shift system uses a rod that is connected to the gear lever. When you change up or down the gears the rod expands or contracts (depending if your going up or down the box) and then it activates either the flat shift (up) or the auto blip (down) which obvioulsy cuts the ignition temporarily while you shift. I do have a power commander too, i wonder if they have done something like this?

Wheel sensors on the front and back are not a problem its just the electronics.

This could turn out to be a fun project!

What kind of interface is available to the wheel sensors? What about to the PC that cuts ignition? If you have links to manufacturer's websites it might be available there.

If you know the protocol/specification and what interface(s) are exposed, this might be a really easy project... I have some experience with embedded system design, but obviously working on something like this is very difficult without access to the system you are designing for...

This may or may not be the best way to go about it... it's just an idea.

The ability to dynamically adjust the throttle butterfly would probably be a much better way... less shock to the engine... but requires more work to accomplish.

Back