anyone ever lost control at high speeds

dentonbusa

Registered
i was just wondering if anyone has lost control or came close to a crash running speeds over 100mph i did back in late summer street racing the busa covered ground so fast i wasn,t able to get it slowed down in time when the other bike slowed down a zx12 i hit the brakes to hard and it went into a skid at well over 100mph i ran off the road by the time i regained control i was doing about 25 to 30mph i never went down but i learned a hard lession the easy way don,t race anyone ,anytime, use your head when you open her up.

High speed braking with you rear brake is a no no....
That is what you definately have to be careful of.

(dentonbusa @ Jan. 15 2007,16:45) i was just wondering if anyone has lost control or came close to a crash running speeds over 100mph i did back in late summer street racing the busa covered ground so fast i wasn,t able to get it slowed down in time when the other bike slowed down a zx12 i hit the brakes to hard and it went into a skid at well over 100mph i ran off the road by the time i regained control i was doing about 25 to 30mph i never went down but i learned a hard lession the easy way don,t race anyone ,anytime, use your head when you open her up.
Enough grounds for intense SWEARING!
SHOCKED.gif

"Okay everyone, bend over, grab your ankles, put your head between your knees, and kiss your @ss good by!"
laugh.gif
crazy.gif

Had a tank slapper at about 140. Scared the hell out of me, but it all turned out ok.

(300Busa @ Jan. 15 2007,18:26) Had a tank slapper at about 140.  Scared the hell out of me, but it all turned out ok.
At 140! Where were you at?

BTW, what exactly is a tank slapper? I'm just trying to verify if i know what it is exactly.

One more dumb question, there are high sides and low sides too. Somebody want to tell me what they are?
rock.gif

wasn't going a hundred miles an hour but did go off the road and into a ditch at 75 miles an hour. It was a windy day and I was just getting onto the interstate and was rounding the corner of the onramp when i took my eyes off the road for a second to look at a r1 in a parking lot to my right down off of the interstate when a gust of wind from nowhere hit the bike and threw me straight into the ditch. Luckily I have ridden motorcross and things with two and four wheels since I was 5 and knew not to hit the front brake when going down the incline but to ride it out and use the rear brake only. Made it out okay and the bike was unharmed but definately makes me appreciate that my experience with offroad riding compensated for my stupidity on the street at least this time. (Oh, did I mention I was on my chromed out Honda F3, probably my first mistake for putting money into a bike like that and not getting a busa sooner!!) I finally learned when Kawiboy11 talked me into getting a busa and couldn't be happier!! Props to you bro!!!!!!
beerchug.gif

63295686736182663614.jpg

(hayabusa99b/w @ Jan. 15 2007,18:40) heres another pic of my previous creation
lurk.gif
Just gotta hand it to ya. That is a BEAUTIFUL bike. Looks like you did a LOT of work to her!
SHOCKED.gif

Tank Slapper is where the handle bars shake violently from side to side (bouncing your hands off the side of the tank). Low side is commonly encountered when you go through a corner and the top of the bike slides toward you, the bottom goes away. Imagine it falling into the center of the turn. Usually too much rear brake causing a slide. A high side is just the opposite. It falls away from the turn and typically, so do you. Usually caused by too much rear brake causing a slide, and then letting off of the brake causing the bike to bite again and throw you. Hope this all makes sense. I know I'm confused.
beerchug.gif

(Moparict @ Jan. 15 2007,18:44) Tank Slapper is where the handle bars shake violently from side to side (bouncing your hands off the side of the tank).  Low side is commonly encountered when you go through a corner and the top of the bike slides toward you, the bottom goes away.  Imagine it falling into the center of the turn.  Usually too much rear brake causing a slide.   A high side is just the opposite.  It falls away from the turn and typically, so do you.   Usually caused by too much rear brake causing a slide, and then letting off of the brake causing the bike to bite again and throw you.  Hope this all makes sense.  I know I'm confused.
beerchug.gif
Thanks for the help. Everyone need some enlightenment once in a while!

Just gotta hand it to ya. That is a BEAUTIFUL bike. Looks like you did a LOT of work to her!

Yes, it took a long time and was hard to get rid of her but was all worth it when this was in the back of the truck a week after the sale!!
beerchug.gif

6329499850963705724.jpg

So what actually causes a tank slaper?

And what about the steering dampener?

(Justyntym @ Jan. 15 2007,19:51) So what actually causes a tank slaper?

I've had a "mild" tank slapper coming down off of a wheelie. And not a big wheelie either, maybe the front a foot off of the ground. Shifting from first to second, the handle bars were turned ever so slightly and got the wobble. I've never encountered them at any other time. It shakes the bike pretty violently if its bad enough. Normally if you just hold on and let the bike settle, you can come out of it.

(Moparict @ Jan. 15 2007,19:54)
(Justyntym @ Jan. 15 2007,19:51) So what actually causes a tank slaper?

I've had a "mild" tank slapper coming down off of a wheelie.  And not a big wheelie either, maybe the front a foot off of the ground.  Shifting from first to second, the handle bars were turned ever so slightly and got the wobble.  I've never encountered them at any other time.  It shakes the bike pretty violently if its bad enough.  Normally if you just hold on and let the bike settle, you can come out of it.
What bike do you have mo?

Back